Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom fan

Options
  • 07-04-2014 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭

Hi lads I'm have a dispute with a fella over if a bathroom fan should be directly over the shower on the ceiling.I think it shouldn't as it could get effected by steam directly below it.Didn't the bathroom zones change and zone 1 now goes to the ceiling.So asking for everyone's opinion on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

If the bathroom is upstairs an in-line fan kit can be used ,the motor part goes in the attic

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If the idea is to extract as much steam as possible from the shower it is best to have the fan directly over the shower cubicle. Vortice make a fan that is suitable for this application as it operates at 12VDC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

2011 wrote: »
    If the idea is to extract as much steam as possible from the shower it is best to have the fan directly over the shower cubicle. Vortice make a fan that is suitable for this application as it operates at 12VDC.

what's the exact regulation on 230v fans over the cubicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Sorry that's where I was coming from as well.
    It's an existing 240v fan

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

As per Table 701 A
    Zone 0 Not permitted
    Zone 1 Not permitted
    Zone 2 N/A - This is to the side of the shower cubicle
    Zone 3 Permitted > 2.25m from finished floor level

The fan should:

1) Have an isolating switch. This should disconnect phase and neutral. A timed fan will require a 3 pole switch as there is a switched and permanent live. This should be installed outside all zones.

2) Be permanently connected.

3) Installed in accordance with manufactures instructions.

4) Protected by an RCD.

If I were to install a fan in a bathroom it would be at least IPX4, double insulated and plastic. Many shower cubicles do not have a Zone 3 as the ceiling is too low, so it is not permitted to install a 230V fan in the shower cubicle.

• Advertisement

are they allowed in zone 2 to the right of the cubicle also?

the basic 230v fan isn't ip4x either is it?

are they allowed in zone 2 to the right of the cubicle also?

Yes, but they must be at least IPX4 and "EN suitable for Zone 2"
    the basic 230v fan isn't ip4x either is it?

In general I think most fans are.

EN suitable for zone 2..

is that something that's marked on the box?
    how is that determined?

will all ipx4 fans have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Mycro

I am also thinking of installing an inline fan. I am looking at a Manrose MF100T. Does anybody know where I can buy one in greater Dublin and also if it can be placed near the external outlet rather than near the steam intake?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement