Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaches Geldof dead aged 25 - MOD NOTE: NO JOKES

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

nocoverart wrote: »
    I think Its very important for her family to have some closure on this tragedy.

:confused:

The post mortem will tell them what killed her. She'll still be dead though, and "closure" is just a bucket of homeopathic tears. My point was that speculation won't help.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

jane82 wrote: »
    If you were missing the police would tell your mam to come back in 24 hours. Standard procedure.

In the 80s and maybe the 90s and in badly researched cop dramas and soaps. Standard procedure changed well over a decade ago, missing adults are taken much more seriously now. Which is all most likely irrelevant in this case, as we don't know that's what happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Muise... wrote: »
    :confused:
    "closure" is just a bucket of homeopathic tears.

That's a bit harsh, Muise. Maybe the whole closure thing is a hackneyed phrase, but its easier for grieving relatives to move on if they know what's happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

That's a bit harsh, Muise. Maybe the whole closure thing is a hackneyed phrase, but its easier for grieving relatives to move on if they know what's happened.
    It depends what you find out. If you hear that a loved one died in agonising pain it wouldn't provide much comfort.

I think the only time that really holds true is if it takes a couple of years to find a missing person's body. Otherwise, grief is grief, knowing the details won't take the edge off it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

It depends what you find out... grief is grief, knowing the details won't take the edge off it.

I'm sure that's true, but it will make you think "there's nothing more we can do about it", rather than think "we will work effortlessly to find out the truth."

• Advertisement

It's harsh on the hackneyed phrase, not the mourners. I don't think "closure" is a thing.

Also, nice work in selectively quoting me for optimal misinterpretation and tut-tutting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

iguana wrote: »
    In the 80s and maybe the 90s and in badly researched cop dramas and soaps. Standard procedure changed well over a decade ago, missing adults are taken much more seriously now. Which is all most likely irrelevant in this case, as we don't know that's what happened.
    Come off it. A 25 year old woman with no history of suicide isnt answering the phone police are thinking she went out got with a fella and 99 percent of the time will be home by supper. They cant just go running around breaking everybodies door down with no evidence other than a few missed calls.
    Would you like your parents to be able to barge in the house with the police evertime you were avoiding them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Come off it. A 25 year old woman with no history of suicide isnt answering the phone police are thinking she went out got with a fella and 99 percent of the time will be home by supper. They cant just go running around breaking everybodies door down with no evidence other than a few missed calls.
    Would you like your parents to be able to barge in the house with the police evertime you were avoiding them?

Wouldn't it be more likely to be her husband that requested the wellsness check?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

A pretty famous person disappears off the radar for a number of hours, possibly missing prearranged plans, unable to be reached by phone. Of course the police are gonna take it seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

It depends what you find out. If you hear that a loved one died in agonising pain it wouldn't provide much comfort.

I think the only time that really holds true is if it takes a couple of years to find a missing person's body. Otherwise, grief is grief, knowing the details won't take the edge off it.

Considering her age I would think "closure" or whatever you want to call it would offer some peace to the family, even if it wasn't the nicest of ways to go I think the fact that she died so young will leave them with a lot of questions that they need answered in order to begin grieving without all the uncertainty.
    That doesn't mean we need to know or that the media need to report the cause of death though.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't it be more likely to be her husband that requested the wellsness check?

Yep after he got a text message Id say. If you rang home and got no answer would it be possible to ring the police and ask them to go break into your house for no other reason other than concern?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

I was shocked when I heard this news driving into work yesterday. Feel sorry for her family and young children. Only 25 years old. Bob Geldof has had it tough losing people close to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Ann Landers

As a disgruntled barman said to me years ago, the night after Princess Diana was killed in a car crash, when no one knew anything but kept talking anyway, "she died of a shortness of breath."

Does it really matter if it was drugs, suicide, Sudden Adult Death Syndrome, an aneurysm, whatever?

It doesn't matter, but humans are curious beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Indeed. For example, if they find the exact location of the missing Malaysian Airlines flight, that will almost certainly give passengers' loved ones a form of closure from knowing its resting place, rather than the nightmarish uncertainty they must be living right now.

I'd still rather know.

Hitchens wrote: »

She was into anything that got her in the paper in fairness. Part of her job. I doubt she was into any of the things she claimed to be in real life.

I don't think "closure" is a thing.

That's fine but apparently it's a psychological concept, not "homeopathic". Now, maybe not all psychologists believe in it, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_(psychology)

I know it's a wiki article but it comes with citations.

That's fine but apparently it's a psychological concept, not "homeopathic". Now, maybe not all psychologists believe in it, I don't know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closure_(psychology)

I know it's a wiki article but it comes with citations.

Sorry. By "homeopathic" I meant "bollocks."

Sorry. By "homeopathic" I meant "bollocks."

Well, my post still stands even in you insert "bollocks" where "homeopathic" was.

• Advertisement

Ah here. You cant complain about people speculating on the thread then have a row about the legitimacy of homeopathy on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

Come off it. A 25 year old woman with no history of suicide isnt answering the phone

Pretty sure all living people have no history of suicide.

Ah here. You cant complain about people speculating on the thread then have a row about the legitimacy of homeopathy on it.

We are not.

I used the word "homeopathic" (with foolish poetic license) as a descriptor of "closure" because to me they belong in the same category of woo.

Ann Landers pointed out that "closure" is in fact a psychological concept.

Our disagreement is simply on the concept and efficacy of "closure" to the grieving.

No harm done.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Indeed. For example, if they find the exact location of the missing Malaysian Airlines flight, that will almost certainly give passengers' loved ones a form of closure from knowing its resting place, rather than the nightmarish uncertainty they must be living right now.

From experience, it really doesn't matter in the end.

CaraMay wrote: »
    From experience, it really doesn't matter in the end.

I'd imagine it can be very different for different people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's harsh on the hackneyed phrase, not the mourners. I don't think "closure" is a thing.

Also, nice work in selectively quoting me for optimal misinterpretation and tut-tutting.

No, closure definitely is important. Maybe not to you, but to lots of other people it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Closure is important, I think. You may never stop thinking about a lost loved one and you'll still feel sad about the loss, but closure helps with coping with that. You can try and reconcile yourself with what happened and make some effort to come to terms with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Pretty sure all living people have no history of suicide.

This genuinely made me LOL so hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 hotamatua

"Bring out your dead"-LMFAO

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

I'd imagine it can be very different for different people.

As nightmarish uncertainly would be

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement