Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree cutting stops 1st march

• 07-04-2014 7:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭

Hi guys I always heard it's illegal to cut down trees after the 1st march but what about moving them?
    I have a few nice beech in the wood I would like to dig up and move to the road but I don't want to be half way into it and have some officials in hi vis hauling me up in front of a judge.
    Obviously there's no leaves at the moment and I can inspect the tree for nests

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

vinnie13 wrote: »
    Hi guys I always heard it's illegal to cut down trees after the 1st march but what about moving them?

I'd say you're probably referring to the EU Habitat Directive, which prohibits hedgerow cutting at certain times? I don't know the exact dates for this.

If you're considering moving trees I'd suggest waiting 'til they're dormant (at the end of the growing season).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

vinnie13 wrote: »
    I have a few nice beech in the wood I would like to dig up and move to the road but I don't want to be half way into it and have some officials in hi vis hauling me up in front of a judge.
    Obviously there's no leaves at the moment and I can inspect the tree for nests
    Its illegal to cut trees down at any time if you do not have a felling licence but there are the legal exceptions for felling:
    http://www.agriculture.gov.ie/forestservice/treefelling/legalrequirementsfortreefelling/

It is very late to be moving bare root trees. Best left until next winter.

However if you dug up a good lump of soil to take with you and don't disturb the roots while moving then it may be viable, depending on the size of said trees. But you will have to water the trees for the rest of the summer nonetheless.

Advertisement