Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim Games for the missus

Options
  • 07-04-2014 7:52pm

As per title she asked me to post this;

Can somebody recommend a PC sim game other than the below (she already owns them)
    There not my cup of tea so would not play this type of game at all.

Sim City
    The Sims 1 / 2/ 3
    Theme Hospital

She bought some Farm Simulator game but the thing keeps crashing after 10 mins on her XP laptop, support for the game is non-existent so need to try get her something else.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭Polar101

There was a similar thread last week, that had plenty of good recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I loved theme hosp!
    Roller coaster Tycoon is similar and fun I think.
    Zoo tycoon might be worth a shot. Haven't played it myself.

Railroad Tycoon games were classic back in the day also.

• Polar101 wrote: »
    There was a similar thread last week, that had plenty of good recommendations.
    Apologies I searched sim games in the search bar,
    I see there are a few in 'Good PC Games' which must be the one your talking about.

• whiskeyman wrote: »
    I loved theme hosp!
    Roller coaster Tycoon is similar and fun I think.
    Zoo tycoon might be worth a shot. Haven't played it myself.

Railroad Tycoon games were classic back in the day also.
    Thanks, I will check GOG.com out for those, she is quite picky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Settlers 7
    Tropico 4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 with the Soaked and Wild expansion packs. You will thank me later.

• Thanks guys, I will get one of them later in the week and set it up for her. Will let Uz know how I get on. Friday will be her chill out night...I can get some Titanfall in while shes busy :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

The Movies

I enjoyed it when it first came out, not played it in years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Sally's Salon.

:pac:

I know my post was a bit bad...

So here, settlers 7 is really really good game. It has lovely art design and atmosphere. Sound and music is just plain good.
    Very good campaign mode, which will teach everything from basics and each mission will have a totally different play style. The bit I really like, is that you can achieve victory in a lot of different ways.
    I have a feeling that she would really love it.

Tropico 4 is just legendary. Very very fun sim game. Will take a bit to get use to, but then you flying. Again, campaign mode is just plain great. Very funny and very well done with voice acting. A very cool and deep sim game, but at the same time it is very light hearted and like to make fun of it self.

• Advertisement

• I know my post was a bit bad...

So here, settlers 7 is really really good game. It has lovely art design and atmosphere. Sound and music is just plain good.
    Very good campaign mode, which will teach everything from basics and each mission will have a totally different play style. The bit I really like, is that you can achieve victory in a lot of different ways.
    I have a feeling that she would really love it.

Tropico 4 is just legendary. Very very fun sim game. Will take a bit to get use to, but then you flying. Again, campaign mode is just plain great. Very funny and very well done with voice acting. A very cool and deep sim game, but at the same time it is very light hearted and like to make fun of it self.

Thanks man,

She loves the whole 'management aspect' of the games if that makes sense.
    Story would not necessarily concern her all that much but you never know it might provide interest.

I remember Settlers 3 being all about correct planning of your building, ensuring you can access them easily and had resources nearby all that kinda gud stuff she enjoys.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Thanks man,

She loves the whole 'management aspect' of the games if that makes sense.
    Story would not necessarily concern her all that much but you never know it might provide interest.

I remember Settlers 3 being all about correct planning of your building, ensuring you can access them easily and had resources nearby all that kinda gud stuff she enjoys.

Story mode in both games won't win any rewards, but both do a great job to make sense and implement game mechanics. It gives you a challenge and something to achieve. It always makes you try out different tactics and adopt to one or another situation.
    The origonal 3 and 4 were amazing. Settlers went down the hill with 5 and 6, but then 7 Came out and blew my mind. I wish more people would give it a chance :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Impossible creatures. It does have quite a short lifespan though. Spore maybe?

Impossible creatures. It does have quite a short lifespan though. Spore maybe?

Spore?! Get out! I would not even give it to my worst enemy.

• Spore?! Get out! I would not even give it to my worst enemy.

Ewww she already tried Spore and hated it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,974 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Aw man, now I really want to get Spore as it sounds so terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Aw man, now I really want to get Spore as it sounds so terrible!
    Think of the perfect Aliens game.

Then think of colonial marines.

It's even worse than that.

The only positive thing about Spore is that Game Grumps doing a play on it. Its freaking stupidly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Dungeon keeper. :v

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

+1 for Roller Coaster Tycoon and The Movies

Although, with the movies what made it so much fun was making the movies, getting community members to work on voice-overs or props or effects overlays, then hyping the crap out of it to get lots of views on TMO. Or creating bogus Tech Demos. I was very proud of my Grass Growing tech demo. You'll believe that grass can grow! Anyway, that community folded a long time ago, not sure how much fun the game is without it.

To qualify this, I liked Spore....

Don't see the Sims mentioned. At it's heart it's a resource juggling game, just on a very small scale, if you play it the right way - ie. You start with no house, limited money and try to build and support a family while turning your one room ToiKitBedSit into the home of your dreams and taking care of your needs. And from Sims 2 up you can add in the thrill of giving your Sim a grossly exagerated facial feature, then screwing as many neighbours as you can and watching that deformity as it takes over the neighbourhood in a handful of generations. Hank Hawkface, you dog you!

Civilisation is at the other end of the scale - shape your tribe over millennia. I'm sure it doesn't need an intro from me. If millennia is too long, Colonization and Alpha Centauri offer shorter time frames. Turn based may not be her thing though.

Faster Than Light is the Rogue of management games. In space. The reliance on luck and repetition might get her down though. There's a current thread about it that sells it better than I can.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Sid Meier's Railroads! (the ! Is part of the title, I'm not shouting). It's a fairly shallow management game combined with a big fun train-set. You have a small map filled with towns, you build train tracks to link the towns to eachother and to resources, then try to come up with profitable routes to make more money to buy more track and trains. Like Transport Tycoon but more recent and less involved. Leveraging yourself to the hilt to buy businesses in towns your opponents' trains are servicing so you can buy them out of their own companies, then selling those companies to buy your own back at the last second rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

What about branching out and trying a god game or two as well ? From dust is a really good recent example, Black and White 2 was decent as well.

• Banjo wrote: »
    +1 for Roller Coaster Tycoon and The Movies

Although, with the movies what made it so much fun was making the movies, getting community members to work on voice-overs or props or effects overlays, then hyping the crap out of it to get lots of views on TMO. Or creating bogus Tech Demos. I was very proud of my Grass Growing tech demo. You'll believe that grass can grow! Anyway, that community folded a long time ago, not sure how much fun the game is without it.

To qualify this, I liked Spore....

Don't see the Sims mentioned. At it's heart it's a resource juggling game, just on a very small scale, if you play it the right way - ie. You start with no house, limited money and try to build and support a family while turning your one room ToiKitBedSit into the home of your dreams and taking care of your needs. And from Sims 2 up you can add in the thrill of giving your Sim a grossly exagerated facial feature, then screwing as many neighbours as you can and watching that deformity as it takes over the neighbourhood in a handful of generations. Hank Hawkface, you dog you!

Civilisation is at the other end of the scale - shape your tribe over millennia. I'm sure it doesn't need an intro from me. If millennia is too long, Colonization and Alpha Centauri offer shorter time frames. Turn based may not be her thing though.

Faster Than Light is the Rogue of management games. In space. The reliance on luck and repetition might get her down though. There's a current thread about it that sells it better than I can.

Personally I'm a huge fan of Sid Meier's Railroads! (the ! Is part of the title, I'm not shouting). It's a fairly shallow management game combined with a big fun train-set. You have a small map filled with towns, you build train tracks to link the towns to eachother and to resources, then try to come up with profitable routes to make more money to buy more track and trains. Like Transport Tycoon but more recent and less involved. Leveraging yourself to the hilt to buy businesses in towns your opponents' trains are servicing so you can buy them out of their own companies, then selling those companies to buy your own back at the last second rocks.
    imitation wrote: »
    What about branching out and trying a god game or two as well ? From dust is a really good recent example, Black and White 2 was decent as well.

Thanks for the Feedback but as per my OP she has all 'The Sims' games already.

From Dust & Black and White 2 are again worth a try, just convincing her to branch out and try something different is an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭The Governor

Just a quick note on the Farm simulator crashing OP, it may be the machine specs aren't up to scratch. If it's a thing she isn't sure whether her machine can handle the specs of games she's thinking of getting I find this site handy

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It justs analyses your system and checks it against the minimum and recommended specs to see if it will run ok.

Also make sure to check if the video as well as sound cards have there latest drivers.

You may be techy enough to know all this already but just throwing in my little bit of advice in case :)

• Just a quick note on the Farm simulator crashing OP, it may be the machine specs aren't up to scratch. If it's a thing she isn't sure whether her machine can handle the specs of games she's thinking of getting I find this site handy

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri

It justs analyses your system and checks it against the minimum and recommended specs to see if it will run ok.

Also make sure to check if the video as well as sound cards have there latest drivers.

You may be techy enough to know all this already but just throwing in my little bit of advice in case :)

Thanks Man.
    Yes I am near cert it's a compatibility issue, I'm going to install a copy of Windows 7 on her laptop so hoping this will sort the issue out.
    Little or no tech support for the game online it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Rust is basically a sim game, right? You build houses and feed your sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I like all these games, many that have been mentioned are great, the movies, zoo tycoon 1 and 2, I always preferred one personally, tropico etc. Theme Park World was another one I loved back in the day. She could also try prison architect, it's still in Alpha but it's perfectly playable in its current form with new features being added every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Rust is basically a sim game, right? You build houses and feed your sim.

It's more of a survival sandbox game but I guess it has Sim elements to it. Not for the faint of heart at times though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

The only positive thing about Spore is that Game Grumps doing a play on it. Its freaking stupidly funny.

It really wasn't that bad, it just didn't live up to the hype. The creature creator was very good in it too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement