Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the most shocking moment in WWE/F or WCW history?

• 07-04-2014 8:14pm
    Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭

Following THAT result last night it got me thinking about what is the most shocking moment in WWE/F or WCW history.

I was in complete and utter disbelief last night when the Streak ended, something that hasnt happened to me with wrestling in over over a decade, maybe closer to a decade and a half.

The choices on the poll will be

WWE purchases WCW
    The Montreal Screwjob
    Taker loses the Streak at Wrestlemania 30
    Hogan joins NWO at Bash At The Beach
    Stone Cold shakes Vinces hand at the end of Wrestlemania 17
    Ultimate Warrior's surprise return at WrestleMania VIII
    WWF/E wrestlers Diesel and Razor Ramon show up on WCW TV
    Mick Foley takes two insane bumps off the cage at King Of The Ring '98
    CM Punk takes his ball and goes home
    Other

Im leaving out the death of Owen Hart and the double murder/suicide of Chris Benoit as I feel they dont belong in this poll. If you feel they do please choose "Other" and give us your thoughts.

What was the most shocking moment in WWE/F or WCW history?

What was the most shocking moment in WWE/F or WCW history? 169 votes

WWE purchases WCW
    0% 0 votes
    The Montreal Screwjob
    11% 20 votes
    Taker loses the Streak at Wrestlemania 30
    17% 30 votes
    Hogan joins NWO at Bash At The Beach
    37% 63 votes
    Stone Cold shakes Vinces hand at the end of Wrestlemania 17
    8% 15 votes
    Ultimate Warrior's surprise return at WrestleMania VIII
    4% 7 votes
    WWF/E wrestlers Diesel and Razor Ramon show up on WCW TV
    0% 0 votes
    Mick Foley takes two insane bumps off the cage at King Of The Ring '98
    1% 2 votes
    CM Punk takes his ball and goes home
    18% 32 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,510 ✭✭✭✭CSF

It could just be the freshness of it all, but I'm going with last night. Lesnar is my number 1 guy, but I wasn't even dreaming of last night becoming a reality. Naturally you can imagine the scenes in mine were very different to those in the crowd.

• Site Banned Posts: 433 ✭✭Donegal Dan

Im very much torn between choosing last night or Montreal. Both were, literally, jaw dropping moments in wrestling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Taker beaten at WM and losing the streak because I never thought it would happen

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'm still swaying towards the Hogan turn at BOTB. Even if the unthinkable happened today and Cena turned, it wouldn't compare to the immortal one joining the NWO.

Necrominus wrote: »
    I'm still swaying towards the Hogan turn at BOTB. Even if the unthinkable happened today and Cena turned, it wouldn't compare to the immortal one joining the NWO.

And they'll only turn Cena 7-10 years from now when his merchandise sales are no longer in the top 5 and his Make A Wish requests are on the wane.

If ever,

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

The fact that JTG hasn't been released yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The self destruction of WCW and Vince buying it has to be the most shocking thing in wrestling history really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭briany

Necrominus wrote: »

What a great move on Hogan's part, though. Totally revitalized his character. He'd been treading water with his crappy watered down version of his all American gimmick and the general public was getting thoroughly tired of it, as was Hogan himself. Shocking for most of us, but I'd say the IWC smarks of '96 saw it coming a mile off.

briany wrote: »
    but I'd say the IWC smarks of '96 saw it coming a mile off.

The internet barely existed in '96 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

For me, it's last night. I sat up and watched the Montreal Screwing live, and I didn't find that as shocking (probably cos I hadn't a clue what was going on, pre internet).

I've never felt like I did last night about wrestling. I was shaken to the core

• Advertisement

The picture and story that broke hearts and almost the internet

BkoqHPDIIAEdLtL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The pipebomb stands out along with the Streak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

apart from Shockmaster's debut mentioned above, I'd have to say the formation of The Corporate Ministry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Surprised no one has mentioned Vince opening the door of his limo and it exploding.

Its the one storyline that sticks out in my mind that i would of really loved to of seen where they where going with it and we got no answer to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,170 ✭✭✭✭briany

You'd be surprised. Computer nerds/wrestling fans had been talking wrestling on different computer networks since the late 80s and some of their discourse is still up there on Google's usenet archive. They hated Hogan for the same reasons that fans hate Cena today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

l_ecw-cyber-slam-1996-on-dvd-c485.jpg

The Internet and Wrestling fans very much existed in 96..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭John Cherry

Taker losing his streak was a massive surprise last night,but I got the feeling when Brock set him up for the third F5 that was it.

In previous years he kicked out of finisher after finisher and last night he was dead on his feet for a lot of the match. He didn't seem to be able to handle the pace of the match and at one point spent I,think 5 minutes on the canvas doing a lot of submission holds just so he could take a rest and catch his breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I put the Screwjob but now that I think of it I'd say Foley's drop off the cage.

Undertaker's streak was jawdropping "Woah WTF:confused:"

KOTR 98 was jaw jawdropping "Mother of God. Foley is dead":eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

Brock breaking the streak. I didn't see the BATB heel turn live so I can't comment. But taker's loss resulted in about 20 seconds of stunned silence that I don't think any other moment would elicit. Given that I'm a jaded wrestling fan and it's 2014, it's an incredible feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Taker losing his streak was a massive surprise last night,but I got the feeling when Brock set him up for the third F5 that was it.

I still didn't suss it, even as 'Taker was hoisted up for a 3rd F5 I was going 'man, they're really killing Lesnar here with Kickout-a-mania'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Foley's bump off the cage. The reaction on The Undetaker's face made me think it was a shoot, that he did it in the heat of the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Maybe it wax because I was kid that I found it shocking but for me it was the 2 Earl Hebners when hogan lost to Andre the giant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Brock breaking the streak. I didn't see the BATB heel turn live so I can't comment. But taker's loss resulted in about 20 seconds of stunned silence that I don't think any other moment would elicit. Given that I'm a jaded wrestling fan and it's 2014, it's an incredible feat.

This, I genuinely can't remember the last time a wrestling event stunned. There's been plenty of events that had twists and turns and whatnot and stuff like Punk taking the title home and all that you didn't expect to see, but hearing that 1-2..3..3? was that 3?! and seeing the crowd in utter, utter disbelief was the best thing I've seen in wrestling in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Have to agree with that. How many people were in the arena? 60000? To have that almost completely silent is an amazing feat. No one saw that coming. As shocking moments go this will be remembered forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

How does Hogan's heel turn only have 5 votes.

What on earth. Nothing will ever top that for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Moneymaker wrote: »
    How does Hogan's heel turn only have 5 votes.

What on earth. Nothing will ever top that for me.

It wasnt shocking to me because, like many othe rIrish wrestling fans at the time it wasnt availabble to everyone. I used to read about WCW in magazines only and the odd video here and there so it never really shocked me. I was aware of WCW but never had the chance to watch it week in week out like WWF.

Wenr for Mick Foley off the Cell myself. I was in disbelief watching it live and thought Mick had died there and then. How the match went on was beyond me.

What happened sunday shocked me, i was stunned but as an Adult watching WWE now compared to the shock i witnessed as Foley was flung from the cell as a 14 year old, Foley wins it for me. Just

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Been watching since '86 and Sunday shocked me more than anything else ever did. My gf had to literally push my jaw back together....

Foley at HITC comes a close second. Hogan's turn was pretty shocking too, as was HBK superkicking Janetty through the Barber shop window :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Actually, Andre turning on Hogan in Piper's Pit was pretty shocking too. Mind you, I was 12 :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I still didn't suss it, even as 'Taker was hoisted up for a 3rd F5 I was going 'man, they're really killing Lesnar here with Kickout-a-mania'.

Aye, I just rolled my eyes in expectation of a ridiculous kick out from a 3rd F5. 1,2...yeah, whatever....wait, DID I JUST SEE A 3 COUNT!?

Deaths aside, pro wrestling had never stunned me into silence....until Sunday. For that alone my vote goes to the streak being defeated.

Advertisement