Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Relations/General Dublin living?

Options
  • 07-04-2014 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

At the moment I'm torn between two DCU courses - Communications and International Relations. While there is (unsurprisingly) a wealth of info about communications I can't seem to find much first-hand info on IR. I'd really appreciate some pros/cons of the course, hours, subjects, opportunities etc!

I'm dead set on moving to Dublin and more than likely DCU for college. I've always wanted to live there having lived in Tipperary all my life and would like to know what living in Dublin will be like/the DCU atmosphere and so on.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I graduated from IR in 2012. I have no real negatives about the course, the content is really interesting, there's a big emphasis on groupwork in the international law classes and the content isn't too difficult. Although you really need to have an interest in the work. There's a lot of readings but if you're interested you'll fly through it.

Lecture hours are only 10-15 per week, with classes scattered around campus. If you go for it, try take the terrorism class. Unbelievably interesting! I think we had 1 day off in 1st and second year, then 2 in third year. It depends on what stream you take. (Language, US, can't remember the other)

There is A LOT of essays. But it really helps to develop critical evaluation skills, but it wasn't unheard of to have 3/4 assignments due back to back. In final year, between assignments and dissertation, my total work count for papers was 35,000 ish...so pretty full on.

They really encourage post graduate study and have some fantastic courses but I changed direction and am now doing a mastrrs in an unrelated field. But I will say that the experience of this course gave me a fantastic foundation for further study.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭studentforever

I forgot to include something on opportunities...

The big mistake I made was not getting more involved with campus societies and volunteering at undergrad. If you are being considered for a position having some experience will really set you apart. Work experience relating to the field can be NGO's or the U.N do accept summer internships (New York based but I think there's a couple of options), same with the E.U and various governmental bodies in Ireland. Having a full C.V will help with job prospects, although it is an incredibly competitive field so the likelihood of getting employment in a political field is unlikely. But potential employeers look for the skills gained from this course (communication skills, presentation skills, legal understanding, critical deduction, independent thinking etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 HitlerFTW

I forgot to include something on opportunities...

The big mistake I made was not getting more involved with campus societies and volunteering at undergrad. If you are being considered for a position having some experience will really set you apart. Work experience relating to the field can be NGO's or the U.N do accept summer internships (New York based but I think there's a couple of options), same with the E.U and various governmental bodies in Ireland. Having a full C.V will help with job prospects, although it is an incredibly competitive field so the likelihood of getting employment in a political field is unlikely. But potential employeers look for the skills gained from this course (communication skills, presentation skills, legal understanding, critical deduction, independent thinking etc.)
    Hi, torn between this course and accounting and finance in dcu, just wondering what area you went into after the IR degree and why?

Advertisement