Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM "Art"

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

I have posted somewhere on boards already :) I have worked for well renowned fashion photographer as retoucher and she is exclusively using Sigma lenses and I have one myself so all I can do is highly recommend it. Hopefully it helps to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Sigma is really good choice better than tamron for exapmle. i have one myself actually 17-55mm 2.8 and also using it most of the time. The only think is that if its stabilized (OS) the lens rattle a bit but is normal so if you would get yourself one some day don't panic like me before :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I have the 35mm art and have played around with the 50mm art for a few weeks (though don't own the 50mm art myself). Both sigma's are amazing lenses. I do agree that the 50mm is comparable with the Sigma Otus which I was lucky enough to try once.

The IQ from the arts are really amazing for the money you pay. However, a couple of things though to think about before spending:
    - depending on the camera body you have got, you may need to also purchase the dock in order to fine tune the autofocusing. I didn't need to do this but a few people I know have..
    - the bodies are not weather sealed - so you just need to be careful when out in wet / windy / dusty days (I usually use a plastic sleeve on mine, when needed).
    - the art lenses are following the market demand for sharpness. If this is what you want from your gear - then you'll be v happy. However, if bokeh, 'creaminess' and that 'film / vintage look' is important to you (which usually comes at the expense of sharpness), then you won't be so happy with the sigmas - there are nicer lenses for that look. I have a zeiss 50mm planar and it's much nicer in the wider apertures, imo, with portraits. The Nikkor Noctor / Voigtlander lenses are simply gorgeous (in the right situations) with people, and bokeh to my eye is better. however, once you stop down enough (f4/f5)- all these lenses essentially perform the same.

Overall - i don't think you'll be disappointed. But as with all lenses - it's horses for courses - so purchase the ones the suit your style.

Cheers,
    Derek

Advertisement