Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Exhibition and Spin to Celebrate the Giro: 4th and 11th of May

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Just been in. Great little exhibit. Very, very nice Gianni Motta in the window and interesting Raleigh. Great Olmo too. Well worth a visit. I particularly liked the ALAN cx too. Gonna head in again later before hitting home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Popped in as it was opening this morning, great to have a look about!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

any pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

lennymc wrote: »
    any pictures?

8q595A.jpg

5Ana5K.jpg

7Enufe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Just back in Cork!

Thanks to all who participated, helped, exhibited and attended the Vintage Expo. It feels like it was a success. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures as I didn't really trust myself with a camera!

Roll on next Sunday and the vintage spin meeting at 10am at the Taverna. Hopefully it'll be an opportunity for those of you who missed today to enjoy some cycling history. And the Giro, of course!

Again mile buíochas to those who helped in whatever way. Brendan

• Advertisement

Hi all,

I've admitted before I'm a terrible photographer, so I'm quite proud of this picture of the Irish bikes we had on display. Hopefully you'll see some of them at the Vintage Spin this Sunday, May 11th, meeting at 10am at Wallace's Taverna on Ormond Quay. No doubt it may begin with a Coffee. If you have a vintage racing bike please bring it, if not, bring a vintage jersey. If neither please come along to share your interest and enthusiasm. All bring your own food, helmet and spares. This is an informal meet, but no doubt we'll look after one another.

I found this great blog and photos recording last Sunday's Giro expo. Hope you enjoy it too.

http://bestandbrightestdublin.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/giro-ditalia-beautiful-bikes/

Best wishes, Brendan
    -
    13937548559_e297c16ea7_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Lambretta

Hi Brendan,

Thanks for organising this. I will be arriving along in my early 90's Dawes Giro 200 ! Not an Italian classic I know but still steel..

What time are we planning to cycle out to Howth and back

Cheers,
    Lambretta

Hi Lambretta

Nothing wrong with a Dawes!

The plan is to meet at 10am - see our numbers and take it from there. A little bit of early morning democracy (and coffee!) Alec has mapped a route and I would imagine we'll be well back in time for the peleton.

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zqf-7fL-Reug.kUezyOgoF8_A

(Alas I can't open it but maybe you can?),

Cheers, Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

I'll try and make this. 48x18 on my steel bike means I'll have a 2013 vintage under me instead.

Now the important question; banesto or mapei?

Is the exhibition only open on Sunday?

Slap/dash,

I'm thinking of doing it on a 1930's 48x17 fixie. We could go off the back together!

Basically this will be the exhibition on wheels - sadly our formal one is over, but it's popularity certainly suggests another similar event during the year. In the States they hold 'vintage meets and swaps' which might be a thought.

As for the jersey I'd have to suggest Banesto, it has indurin' appeal (what a pun!)

See you Sunday,

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭slap/dash

ok ill take it old school with a circa 2008 iro mark v

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Hi all,

I've admitted before I'm a terrible photographer, so I'm quite proud of this picture of the Irish bikes we had on display. Hopefully you'll see some of them at the Vintage Spin this Sunday, May 11th, meeting at 10am at Wallace's Taverna on Ormond Quay. No doubt it may begin with a Coffee. If you have a vintage racing bike please bring it, if not, bring a vintage jersey. If neither please come along to share your interest and enthusiasm. All bring your own food, helmet and spares. This is an informal meet, but no doubt we'll look after one another.

I found this great blog and photos recording last Sunday's Giro expo. Hope you enjoy it too.

http://bestandbrightestdublin.wordpress.com/2014/05/05/giro-ditalia-beautiful-bikes/

Best wishes, Brendan
    -
    13937548559_e297c16ea7_c.jpg
    Nice to see a Hardings in there

Thanks Fixie,

I brought up specially from Cork, courtesy of Ubikewithus in Cork. Well worth a visit.

Brendan

See ye in the morning come rain or shine!

So how did every get on?

Thanks for the pictures Mercian Pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭sled driver

Sorry, don't know how to imbed photos, so I'll just attach a couple I took

More....

NSFW :pac:

thanks sled driver. some really nice bikes there. The master is lovely looking. I really like it. As was the olmo, and the pinarellos, and the mercian. So many lovely bikes :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Jesus that is the sexiest display of bikes I have ever seen. *drool*

• Advertisement

NSFW :pac:

Is that "my" old Peugeot in pic 7??

lennymc wrote: »
    thanks sled driver. some really nice bikes there. The master is lovely looking. I really like it. As was the olmo, and the pinarellos, and the mercian. So many lovely bikes :)

Some smashing bikes alright lennymc, none of those are mine though.

Lovely spin up the coast taking the right at Sutton cross. An unusual decent, it has to be said, from the summit, via the white gravel path of the old tram line, to Howth village. A group of cyclists riding vintage steel frames down our own Strada Biancha - all we were short was a glass of Chianti in Howth for the full authentic L'Eroica atmosphere :)

Quick coffee break in Howth and back on the bikes. Climbed out of Howth, keeping left at the church (thank goodness, wasn't easy on a 42-21 vintage) with a fellow boardsie on a simply stunning Colnago.

Rolled back into Dublin city via the Giro route. Myself and two other lads broke off early on the south quays to head for home. We cycled up Lombard Street as far as we could and asked at the barriers if we could cycle up Westland row and onto Merrion Square to complete the route for the craic. However, the Gardai confirmed the road was closed, despite my colleagues protestations that we were in fact the lead breakaway group from the Giro peloton :D

Well done to Brendan and et al. for organising the spin. Great way to start the day to celebrate the Giro coming to town.

Is that "my" old Peugeot in pic 7??

No, it's "my" old Peugeot :D

Jaysus, well spotted Harrybelafonte - eyes like a hawk. Would you believe I neglected to take a proper snap of it amongst its peers.

Ah, that's a pity. It already looks much better with the white bar tape. Am really glad you're getting to use it like that, and am very impressed with how clean the Turbo saddle is.

Well done and thanks to all who turned out,

The inclement conditions were always going to reduce the numbers so the group was a testament to our dedication...and foolishness. Of-course I forgot to do a headcount, but I'd guess we were 20.

It was great to play a part in the Giro d'Italia and between the expo and the ride we made the most of it. Special thanks to co-organiser Alec Darragh and to Andrea from Wallace's Tavern who were great hosts. Thanks to all who helped and exhibited last week and gave their time & bikes so generously.

Highlights for me were getting over the summit on a 48x17 fixed wheel, recovering from a Dan Martinesque slip on the Clontarf road and receiving my very own 'Gas Pipes Touring Club' jersey.

There have been calls for another similar event - perhaps a rerun of our Shay Elliott vintage ride - but consensus is if I organise it it will rain again and I'll be divorced..or both. But it'll definitely rain. Shay Elliott took the yellow jersey on the 25th of June..I'm just saying!

Anyway, while you ponder the options (perhaps including a vintage swap)you can be musing on a caption for this picture of our last cappuccino.

14170629954_8aa5609c55_z.jpg

As ever thanks for your enthusiasm,

Brendan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭fixie fox

Ah lads - clipless pedals; computers??
    Fair play to the fellas with the hairnets - I think I would be too wedded to my outa-period helmet though.
    Great show - next year .....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Great turn out Brendan. Some lovely steel on show.
    Sorry again for not turning up. I did wake early enough but promptly turned over and went back to sleep. The trip North just had me drained.:o

Advertisement