Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

124 new homes for Clonsilla

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Is there any further info re cost of these houses?, by the look of it they are getting ready with the show houses, tarmacked one of the roads and putting shrubbery and fences in. I'd also like to see the plans if possible. Any idea how many houses are going in?, the latest plan I could find was back in 2014 for 124no. 2-storey houses and a creche .

Is there any further info re cost of these houses?, by the look of it they are getting ready with the show houses, tarmacked one of the roads and putting shrubbery and fences in. I'd also like to see the plans if possible. Any idea how many houses are going in?, the latest plan I could find was back in 2014 for 124no. 2-storey houses and a creche .

A look at the thread title would have been a bit of a giveaway! I take it this hasn’t changed. The link road will get a bit congested in the mornings with Mount Symon and Castlefield traffic, I presume there’ll be double yellows all the way up on both sides moving forward

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

The first few homes just completed in Castlefield Hall as the thread title site is known as look really well. The finished houses look like they'll give a more upmarket appearance to the area.

PS, I just spotted that I opened this thread 4.5 years ago. Can't believe it's taking that long to proceed with a site!

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭murra

This development is due to launch on 22/23 September as per last Sunday Business Post.

Anyone have an idea of cost?

murra wrote: »
    This development is due to launch on 22/23 September as per last Sunday Business Post.

Anyone have an idea of cost?

No idea of cost but as a guide Mount Symon 4 beds are currently up for approx €350k and Castlefield for approx €375k. It’ll be interesting to see where they pitch them. I’d guess at €425+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭AAD

This really bugs me and I feel is the cause for high house prices. They have permission for 120+ homes yet they will again only launch them in small numbers, this time 16 homes. If a company has permission for that amount they should be made put either them all on the market at the same time or at least 50% as phase one. 16 home here , 16 homes there all going up in price (as we have seen already) is leading us to another housing market crash. I understand supply and demand but this family have owned this land for longer than I've been alive so it's not as if its costing them anything bar the build cost, which I would take out that they have the prices with suppliers etc locked in for the length of the full build.

ALSO AS A SIDE NOTE.

"with St Mochta’s National School literally around the corner." Either the reporter didn't come out and see where the site is or they don't understand the word "literally" also I have a feeling that these houses will be outside of the catchment area for St Mochtas. So if you are looking into buying one of the houses check that put beforehand.

Sorry rant over...

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

Great to see that the infrastructure to accommodate this wasn't considered when planning was granted.
    Cant wait to see the knock-on impact

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

AAD wrote: »

ALSO AS A SIDE NOTE.

"with St Mochta’s National School literally around the corner." Either the reporter didn't come out and see where the site is or they don't understand the word "literally" also I have a feeling that these houses will be outside of the catchment area for St Mochtas. So if you are looking into buying one of the houses check that put beforehand.

Sorry rant over...

Yep, not currently

• Registered Users Posts: 47 david.carroll5

All the 3 beds sold and 2 4 beds left when I went up earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭jim salter

ongarboy wrote: »

IMO this is absolutely ridiculous €385k for a 3 bed semi timber framed house????

Not only have we not learned from the past we are actively giving two fingers to it and fooling ourselves into thinking 2006/2007/2008 was a 'fluke' and an 'anomaly' ... I just don't know anymore :o

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Orobhsa

Sorry rant over...

Mount Symon, which is slightly further away from St Mochta's, is in the catchment area so I would be very surprised if this wasn't.

Having said that even with the new school being build I can't imagine there is much, if any, additional capacity available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

beauf wrote: »
    No point building apartments that are too small and that no one wants either.

Do we have a homeless/housing crisis or not?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Do we have a homeless/housing crisis or not?!

You're quoting a post that is 4 yrs old.

They make bad decisions a which cause problems for generations afterwards.

We are currently allowing almost a free for all on building regardless of the infrastructure, schools, green area, needed to sustain these developments.
    All over the city there are land grabs of parks, playing grounds etc. Never mind the over loaded public transport or road system.

Happens so often its pointless pointing it out anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

This really bugs me and I feel is the cause for high house prices. They have permission for 120+ homes yet they will again only launch them in small numbers, this time 16 homes. If a company has permission for that amount they should be made put either them all on the market at the same time or at least 50% as phase one. 16 home here , 16 homes there all going up in price (as we have seen already) is leading us to another housing market crash. I understand supply and demand but this family have owned this land for longer than I've been alive so it's not as if its costing them anything bar the build cost, which I would take out that they have the prices with suppliers etc locked in for the length of the full build.

ALSO AS A SIDE NOTE.

Sorry rant over...

The reason for the this is developer financing. Banks won't lend the full amount up front, they'll lend for a small percentage, to build a few houses. Houses get sold and then they'll lend some more.
    It's the correct way of doing it and stops banks and developers getting into difficulty and the resulting ghost estates. It does nothing in the short term for our supply problem though

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭kevincool

Why is castefield hall so pricey? Unable to find the reasons myself. Its timber frame to start with..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

kevincool wrote: »
    Why is castefield hall so pricey? Unable to find the reasons myself. Its timber frame to start with..

Short answer, because the developers think people will pay that, and based on the poster above, they may be right, unfortunately.

Also, for what it's worth, the website (https://castlefieldhall.ie/) contains a form to register interest that claims to only require contact details, but when you try to submit it actually requires your budget, house type of interest, mortgage and buyer statuses, etc. I raised this with them months ago and got added without providing any such info, but I suspect the majority didn't have the same objection to the extensive info, and volunteered all of it as path of least resistance, meaning that the developers and agents hold all the cards when it comes to setting price.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭M.Cribben

460k for a 4-bed semi timber frame in Clonsilla is pretty steep. You can buy 4-bed concrete built houses in more settled parts of Castleknock for that price, without the added risk of social housing problems. Does anyone know what % of this development will be allocated to social housing?

M.Cribben wrote: »
    ...You can buy 4-bed concrete built houses in more settled parts of Castleknock for that price, ...

Where are these in Castleknock?

• Advertisement

This is what I found 300~500

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/?s%5Bmnp%5D=300000&s%5Bmxp%5D=500000&s%5Bmnb%5D=4&s%5Bmxb%5D=4

Its a valid point about a mature area. But its old build vs new build and all that involves in terms of modern standards factoring in the timber frame etc.

beauf wrote: »
    This is what I found 300~500

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/castleknock/?s%5Bmnp%5D=300000&s%5Bmxp%5D=500000&s%5Bmnb%5D=4&s%5Bmxb%5D=4

Its a valid point about a mature area. But its old build vs new build and all that involves in terms of modern standards factoring in the timber frame etc.

Main difference between old/new build is the insulation and that can usually be sorted easy enough by replacing windows and there's SEAI grants for new boiler and attic/wall insulation. Still doesn't explain the cost differential. If anything the timber frame houses should be cheaper as they are 10-15% cheaper to construct and have the potential to rot in the future if exposed to damp. There's mixed feelings around timber frame in the construction industry but in my opinion the frame of your house is not something that should have the potential to rot. It will be fine when you buy the house, but how will it react to 15-20 years exposure to Irish weather conditions? Will the vapour barriers hold their effectiveness over that length of time? I would rather avoid that stress.

That price looks very low to me, certainly in comparison to the others in the link between 300-500. Wonder why they've pitched it so low, would imagine closer to 500 than 400

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

That price looks very low to me, certainly in comparison to the others in the link between 300-500. Wonder why they've pitched it so low, would imagine closer to 500 than 400

Nice house, I don't think they'd get 500 for it though. It's on the property price register sold just over 4 months ago for over 90k less than this asking price. They claim to have completely refurbished but you can see the shower looks a bit grotty at the seal so can't imagine that was redone in the last 4 months. No chance they spent anything near 90k on it but they have to cover costs and CGT, they might make a nice profit if they can turn it around and get it sold soon.

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/NPSRA/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-E6D1257308B2F604802582DC004782C8?OpenDocument

Nice house, I don't think they'd get 500 for it though. It's on the property price register sold just over 4 months ago for over 90k less than this asking price. They claim to have completely refurbished but you can see the shower looks a bit grotty at the seal so can't imagine that was redone in the last 4 months. No chance they spent anything near 90k on it but they have to cover costs and CGT, they might make a nice profit if they can turn it around and get it sold soon.

https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/Website/NPSRA/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/eStampUNID/UNID-E6D1257308B2F604802582DC004782C8?OpenDocument

€302,500 for a 4 bed semi-d in that area, even requiring substantial refurbishment is a bargain. There's 4 beds in Carpenterstown selling for 550-600k. I know we're going way off topic but there's something strange going on with that house imo. Might not have been the best example to compare with the Clonsilla homes, in hindsight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Main difference between old/new build is the insulation and that can usually be sorted easy enough by replacing windows and there's SEAI grants for new boiler and attic/wall insulation. Still doesn't explain the cost differential. If anything the timber frame houses should be cheaper as they are 10-15% cheaper to construct and have the potential to rot in the future if exposed to damp. There's mixed feelings around timber frame in the construction industry but in my opinion the frame of your house is not something that should have the potential to rot. It will be fine when you buy the house, but how will it react to 15-20 years exposure to Irish weather conditions? Will the vapour barriers hold their effectiveness over that length of time? I would rather avoid that stress.

You look at any older house, no matter what windows or insulation have been put in and they never go above a BER of C1. A new A-rated house is just far more energy efficient from day 1 and no amount of retro-fitting is going to make up the gap.

Will the timber frame rot? Yeah, I guess it's possible, but other countries have been using timber frame for years without issue. And what is holding up the roof of every brick house in the country?

You look at any older house, no matter what windows or insulation have been put in and they never go above a BER of C1. A new A-rated house is just far more energy efficient from day 1 and no amount of retro-fitting is going to make up the gap.

What exactly is different about new build houses then, which allows them achieve A3/A2 rating? If I apply the exact same methods (attic insulation, internal drylining or external wrap insulation, new boiler and new windows) - what is the technical difference which stops the house achieving A rating?

You are wrong btw, as I have seen an old renovated house achieve A rating on Room to Improve this year. Can't remember the exact episode but I think it was a bungalow overlooking the sea somewhere in North Dublin.

Will the timber frame rot? Yeah, I guess it's possible, but other countries have been using timber frame for years without issue.

Other countries have very different weather systems to Ireland. Also their builders/engineers have a lot of experience with constructing using timber frame. Ours don't. It's relatively new to Ireland and from my understanding, if mistakes are made during construction (regarding sealing from damp) can have disastrous consequences.
    Compliance with building regulations is poorly enforced in Ireland, as we have seen with the recent schools controversy.

• Advertisement

What exactly is different about new build houses then, which allows them achieve A3/A2 rating? If I apply the exact same methods (attic insulation, internal drylining or external wrap insulation, new boiler and new windows) - what is the technical difference which stops the house achieving A rating?

You are wrong btw, as I have seen an old renovated house achieve A rating on Room to Improve this year. Can't remember the exact episode but I think it was a bungalow overlooking the sea somewhere in North Dublin.

In order to get the rating on an old house you basically have to show how its constructed, show them the inside of the walls etc. Otherwise its based on age.

To know how good a house is in reality, you'd have to get your own air-tightness test and possibly a thermal scan done on it.

I think to get an old house up to spec you'd have to strip it back to the walls and start over. A lot of older houses are even more badly constructed than modern houses.

It one of those things you'd have to judge on condition and inspection and testing rather than assuming anything. As the standard of building in Ireland is very inconsistent.

Advertisement