Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutting a property

Options
  • 07-04-2014 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I know this is a long shot and there are a huge amount of variables but just trying to get a rough idea. I've seen a 3 bed semi detached in cork city that needs total gutting windows, floors, insulation, plumbing, electrics, kitchen, bathrooms, evebrything really. needs to be taken back to its bare structure and redone.
    Anybody undertaken a job like this or has a rough idea of cost.....
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I know this is a long shot and there are a huge amount of variables but just trying to get a rough idea. I've seen a 3 bed semi detached in cork city that needs total gutting windows, floors, insulation, plumbing, electrics, kitchen, bathrooms, evebrything really. needs to be taken back to its bare structure and redone.
    Thanks

1000sq ft 50k-60k I'd say if you get someone to do all the work

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

1000sq ft 50k-60k I'd say if you get someone to do all the work

at that price you are probably doing all of the gutting and a lot of the gunthering yourself with tradesmen doing - the floors, insulation, plumbing, electrics, kitchen, bathrooms, everything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

If it needs all that work you can be sure there are surprises in there. Way too many variables for any ballpark figure. The quality of finish can radically change the price of such work. Solid floor, floorboards, chipboard flooring could give you a range of 1k-10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

If it's full of copper, take that out and sell it for scrap. Maybe get a couple of labours and agree a price with them for doing the demolishing. It's easy to do the smashing up bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Pinkycharm

Thanks

I did it with an end of terrace house I bought for €30k. It was more or less derelict. Did the whole place up and got it from an F to an A BER rating, furnished etc for €50k. Its worth €90k now from a recent valuation done. Its doable and the pride you get from doing it all yourself is great when you are sitting beside your stove in a beautiful home :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pinkycharm wrote: »
    I did it with an end of terrace house I bought for €30k. It was more or less derelict. Did the whole place up and got it from an F to an A BER rating, furnished etc for €50k. Its worth €90k now from a recent valuation done. Its doable and the pride you get from doing it all yourself is great when you are sitting beside your stove in a beautiful home :)

Really it's near impossible to build an A yet alone bring up a building from an F to an A. Any details on your build, it'd be nice to see a blog or something

ted1 wrote: »
    Really it's near impossible to build an A yet alone bring up a building from an F to an A. Any details on your build, it'd be nice to see a blog or something

We came in at an A3 and before doing anything we got a list off SEAI as well as going to see the ECO Village and new estates near us that all have A3 houses now.

I have builders and engineers in the family so was done mostly by their specs but house was bought more or less falling down.

Dug the ground floors up and put in heating coils under floors and insulated around them. Put in two stoves, one in kitchen one in sitting room, they are dual purpose so heat the radiators on oil or by fire. On top of this the back side of the roof has solar panels. Installed a brand new water tank in attic and water cylinder, both insulated and covered. There were barely any floorboards upstairs so we ripped them up and put down new wiring and whatever we needed and insulated. All appliances bought for the house were A rated and all the light bulbs/lights in the house are LED. Top spec boiler put in out back with heat controls- still havent had a chance to use oil yet- the fire is unreal. Triple glazed windows in all of the rooms with the vents with the new fire doors in all of the rooms. Then the attic was insulated all over and floored with LED lights up there, its just empty space now but might convert it in time. There was an air test done as well. The place was completely re plumbed and the chimneys redone with an extra loop to stop drafts coming down (on buying the house we lit a fire for the craic, went away for an hour and the place was in smoke. When re inspected by structural engineer it was found that whoever originally build house had thrown rubble down the chimney instead of carrying down the stairs and this had stayed there for the last 30 years unknown to previous owners. Needless to say these were all ripped out).

In regards to what it has done heat wise, basically I can put the fire down on a Monday and the heat from that fire will generally have the house comfortably warm with just a shuffle of the fire (not a roaring one) until Wednesday when I would have to get it really going again.

As for appliances, the company who installed our kitchen got us our appliances and we asked for the highest rated appliances they could find. We were advised LED lighting was the way to go so we did :) havent had to replace one since work completed.

The fella that came to do the assessment remembered the house when people lived in it and said it was always so cold and now its so comfortable. All insulation used was the yellow wool other than cavity walls which were the spray thing.

Just to keep in mind again, I may or may not have been able to do all this on my budget had it not been for family in the business. I know the neighbour bought a load of the insulation wool off donedeal lately there was someone taking it down from their shed or something so to be honest there are ways out there. We did obviously have a budget and we were getting off the rental market so this seemed like the only way to go.

We did have issues with a derelict house that is beside us also but that has been taken care of with further work to ours by getting everything completely sealed off. The structural engineer told us that that house could fall now and ours would be fine.

We do have an old chimney in our house which we are hoping to remove, somehow we overlooked this, its unused but i have since read things on making these features useful in terms of air circulation and heating as well so will look into that further.

any more questions let me know! I have a list of everything we did lying around here somewhere. :D

If I had a backyard big enough I'd try a windmill but that might be going too far on the road I live on!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Great post. Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you have any pictures you could share- they'd be very educational for the rest of us. Also- your budget seems remarkable- if you had some idea of ballpark figures for the different elements- it would be very helpful.

Thankyou!

The_Conductor

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

all sounds great.. well done.

living in a renovated rental that could witheven a little thought have been as good as this but isfar from it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭josip

What did you do regarding airflow and ventilation?
    Is it still open vents?

josip wrote: »
    What did you do regarding airflow and ventilation?
    Is it still open vents?

He advised me to get Trickle vent windows at the time.

Graces7 wrote: »
    all sounds great.. well done.

living in a renovated rental that could witheven a little thought have been as good as this but isfar from it

I lived in some dives before getting this and to be honest they would be fabulous if the little bit of work went into them. I had to move out of the rented house because I was near having a baby.

If you have any pictures you could share- they'd be very educational for the rest of us. Also- your budget seems remarkable- if you had some idea of ballpark figures for the different elements- it would be very helpful.

Thankyou!

The_Conductor

I've a book at home with everything in it so will post as soon as find it.

Advertisement