Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCAA 2014 Season Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Deshaun Watson, Clemson v NC State 41-0

WrXnm4u.gif

Then Vic Beasley on defense with an incredible interception, just a fraction of a second after the wolfpack QB lets go of the ball. Touchdown

ShowyFarBarnacle.gif
    AnotherWaryBantamrooster.gif

And I watched it all from 30 yards away. Damn sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The rankings sometimes just really annoy me.

How the hell does Miss. State go to no.3 after beating the Aggies? Ole Miss going up is fair enough but the Irish only go to 6 after beating Stanford and Miss. State go to 3? They even passed out Ole Miss who beat Bama which is ridic.

How can this happen when Bama drops to 7th and ATM drops to 14? How does that make any sense?

Baylor move to 5, they should be no.3 imo. They've just been superb all year. This SEC bull**** just irks me so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

eagle eye wrote: »

How the hell does Miss. State go to no.3 after beating the Aggies? Ole Miss going up is fair enough but the Irish only go to 6 after beating Stanford and Miss. State go to 3? They even passed out Ole Miss who beat Bama which is ridic.

How can this happen when Bama drops to 7th and ATM drops to 14? How does that make any sense?

Baylor move to 5, they should be no.3 imo. They've just been superb all year. This SEC bull**** just irks me so much.

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are tied.

And as good as Baylor have been, they haven't beaten anyone yet. There's no way they should be number 3. They face their first proper team this weekend so now is there chance to make a statement.

IMO, they have the top 6 correct except Ole Miss should be number 3 and not tied with Mississippi State.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭skippymac6

As of now who do you guys think (I know it's early) is the first QB taken next year? Is Petty doing enough or has he not faced a proper defence enough? Winston obviously has a few character issues to sort out but has the talent. Mariota is brilliant but sometimes is found wanting in the really close games. I haven't seen enough of Hundley either to be fair. Gholston has been very good and when Marshall is on song he is very dangerous. Should be a few first rounders in there I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

And Clemson is still unranked after shutting out NC state. The rankings are arbitrary garbage

I'd be shocked to see Golson or Marshall anywhere near first round consideration to be honest.

Mariota is still the overwhelming favourite to go first overall depending on the team picking. Safe enough prediction to be the 1st QB taken unless Winston kicks it into overdrive for the rest of the year.

Overheal wrote: »
    And Clemson is still unranked after shutting out NC state. The rankings are arbitrary garbage

Don't know if you're being sarcastic or not, but Clemson have 2 losses already. They received the most votes of those teams that didn't make the top 25 which is just about right. The only other team with 2 losses in the top 25 is Stanford at #25.

I'd be shocked to see Golson or Marshall anywhere near first round consideration to be honest.

Mariota is still the overwhelming favourite to go first overall depending on the team picking. Safe enough prediction to be the 1st QB taken unless Winston kicks it into overdrive for the rest of the year.

Be interesting to see if someone takes a chance on Winston early on. Surely the rules for players misdemeanours are getting more and more strict and he would be a good chance to get in trouble over his time in the league.

Mariotta probably will be the first one taken but there are always bolters. This time last year Bridgewater was considered to be the first overall pick and most definitely the first QB taken

Something big going down at Florida. They've cancelled their Monday press conference for the first time in over 20 years.
    edit: ‏@DaveJonesUFbeat: In 20-plus years #Gators beat, this is first Monday press conference called off. Used to be Tuesdays. Even had one on 9-11. Not good.
    edit 2: @pat_dooley: Something big about to happen at UF. Regular presser canceled.
    edit 3 (my interpretation so take it with a grain of salt): Pretty obvious something is going down...hopefully along the lines of JD to tight end and not the death penalty. But in all likelihood a cancelled media meeting means either 1) Muschamp gone or 2) Some sort of sensitive issue that they need a statement drafted by a lawyer. Either way, does not look good.
    edit 4: Treon Harris's twitter, which was up an hour ago, has been deleted. https://twitter.com/t5_harris. I have no clue what that means but let's all read into it.
    edit 5: @DaveJonesUFbeat A source close to the situation has confirmed that this does not involve the future of Will Muschamp. Stay tuned for details. #Gators
    Edit 6: @DaveJonesUFbeat Gainesville source has confirmed that #Gators quarterback Treon Harris is being investigated in a legal matter.
    Edit 7: @DaveJonesUFbeat No charges have been field against Harris yet. #Gators
    Richard Johnson ‏@RagjUF 2m2 minutes ago
    Team has been told Harris is suspended and team will be addressed at practice

Mississippi State and Ole Miss are tied.

And as good as Baylor have been, they haven't beaten anyone yet. There's no way they should be number 3. They face their first proper team this weekend so now is there chance to make a statement.

IMO, they have the top 6 correct except Ole Miss should be number 3 and not tied with Mississippi State.
    The no.1 team have beaten nobody either but it hasn't stopped them remaining no.1 despite some poor performances.

Besides the current champions the rankings, as always, are skewed in favour of the SEC.

• Advertisement

The no.1 team have beaten nobody either but it hasn't stopped them remaining no.1 despite some poor performances.

Besides the current champions the rankings, as always, are skewed in favour of the SEC.

But they were ranked #1 coming into the season, and the rankings are based off of that. Hard to take #1 off them when they haven't lost, especially when the only team that could really take it off them are the same team they beat in the national championship last year, and there's very little difference between both teams this year vs last.

The reason the rankings are biased towards the SEC is because the SEC is the strongest conference. Simple as that.

Harris also deleted his twitter account last night, a day after replacing Jeff Driskel at QB and leading Florida to a win in his first appearance.

Strong feeling that he's done something very wrong.

But they were ranked #1 coming into the season, and the rankings are based off of that. Hard to take #1 off them when they haven't lost, especially when the only team that could really take it off them are the same team they beat in the national championship last year, and there's very little difference between both teams this year vs last.

The reason the rankings are biased towards the SEC is because the SEC is the strongest conference. Simple as that.
    It might be the strongest conference but there are clearly better teams outside of it this year.

Its very unfair that a team which ranked outside the top 10 suddenly moves up to no.3/4 because they beat a team from the same conference that was ranked at no.2/6. They should of course move up but for them to just jump over teams that have continued to win is completely unfair.

Do you see what I'm getting at here. Florida State have not been jumped because they have remained unbeaten. Surely Baylor and Notre Dame, to name two teams, should not be jumped as they have continued to win.

Harris also deleted his twitter account last night, a day after replacing Jeff Driskel at QB and leading Florida to a win in his first appearance.

Strong feeling that he's done something very wrong.

Suspended indefinitely now by Florida

It might be the strongest conference but there are clearly better teams outside of it this year.

Its very unfair that a team which ranked outside the top 10 suddenly moves up to no.3/4 because they beat a team from the same conference that was ranked at no.2/6. They should of course move up but for them to just jump over teams that have continued to win is completely unfair.

Do you see what I'm getting at here. Florida State have not been jumped because they have remained unbeaten. Surely Baylor and Notre Dame, to name two teams, should not be jumped as they have continued to win.

Sorry, I think we're arguing two different things here. Im arguing the rankings based on how they actually work and have done in recent years, whereas you're arguing how they should work (and I actually agree with you).

For the record, you can view each individual voter for the AP rankings and some of them are a joke.

In an ideal world, we'd have an 8 or 16 team playoff and a lot of this rankings BS wouldn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

An Auburn win at Miss State could move them to #1 this weekend. If this happens FSU may need to stomp on Syracuse to retain top spot.

polaris68 wrote: »
    An Auburn win at Miss State could move them to #1 this weekend. If this happens FSU may need to stomp on Syracuse to retain top spot.

There's only 2 points between them ( FSU = 1,461 / Auburn = 1,459). All Auburn have to do is win to go to #1, regardless of what FSU do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

For the record, you can view each individual voter for the AP rankings and some of them are a joke.

how can you view this id be interested in seeing individuals ballots.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I agree with you all BTW. There is defo a SEC Bias in the rankings. Yes it is clearly the strongest conference top to bottom but there are some outstanding teams outside of it that are patently ignored due to their SOS which then shows in the rankings.

Which is fair enough, but I do really wish that OOC conference games or at least 2 OOC conference games were set by the NCAA so we could get a better feel for how good these non SEC teams stack up. This nonsense of playing cupcakes ie in your OOC makes if nigh on impossible for the mindset to change re the strength of the SEC.

• Advertisement

D3PO wrote: »
    how can you view this id be interested in seeing individuals ballots.

thanks

Go to here: http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2014/7

And look for the "by voter" button. You should be able to click on their names then.

Interesting tactic by Michigan State :pac:

This is awesome. Tennessee nailed the checkered fan sections yesterday, without giving out free t-shirts. They simply asked the fans to wear one of two colours printed on their tickets.

BzHWJ4wIcAA2jMZ.png

Mizzou are trying to go one better next month - this will look really cool if they pull it off.

Bzho8iACUAEgIzv.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭The Bogman

Todd Gurley suspended indefinitely for NCAA violations.

The Bogman wrote: »
    Todd Gurley suspended indefinitely for NCAA violations.

Hearing the investigation into #UGA star Todd Gurley is for possibly accepting extra benefits for his likeness w memorabilia brokers.

— Bruce Feldman (@BruceFeldmanCFB)

So this is from 12 days ago...

http://www.reddit.com/r/cfb/comments/2hn4ft/_/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Friday 10 October
    6am: Utah @ UCLA (rep)
    10am: College Football Live
    9.30pm: BYU @ UCF (rep)
    12.30am: College Football Live
    2am: Washington State @ #25 Stanford (LIVE, BTS1)

Saturday 11 October
    9am: College Football Live
    2pm: College GameDay
    5pm: Texas vs #11 Oklahoma (LIVE)
    8.30pm: #2 Auburn @ #3 Mississippi State (LIVE)
    (Fox: #12 Oregon @ #18 UCLA)

Sunday 12 October
    8.30am: Washington State @ Stanford (rep)
    11.30am: College Football Final
    4.30am: College Football Final
    5.30am: Championship Drive

Another cracking lineup. Going to be keeping my eyes on Auburn/Mississippi State and TCU/Baylor as both should be great games. Sucks that they're both 8:30pm kick offs though.

Going to be a late one with USC/Arizona then at 3:30am :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Another cracking lineup. Going to be keeping my eyes on Auburn/Mississippi State and TCU/Baylor as both should be great games. Sucks that they're both 8:30pm kick offs though.

Going to be a late one with USC/Arizona then at 3:30am :(

Even UCLA-Oregon is a huge game as well! The winner is 100% out of NC contention.Some week for games!

This Missouri offense is brutal tonight! 3rd quarter, Georgia up 20 - 0.

• Advertisement

I've watched all of the Longhorns vs the Sooners. Horrendous offense on show on both sides.

Some of the playcalling has been so bad its almost unbelievable. The Sooners have been outrageously bad on offense, their D and ST's are responsible for all their scores even though they didn't score them all.

Longhorns should be in front but their QB is awful. Sooners will surely getting their offense going and some stage and blow out Texas I think.

So the Sooners find that their engine run better at a higher speed. They went fast on offense and shredded the Longhorns' D. Leading by 11 now.

Missouri QB, Matty Mauk has just thrown his 4th interception. Going to need another stand from their defense here.

6.5min left, Texas are down by 11 but have good field position here.

Huge play here, 3rd and 4 for OKlahoma and they make it. Their first third down conversion of the game, believe it or not, and now down to three minutes left with a five point lead. Texas only have one timeout left. One more first down should do it for the Sooners.

Oklohoma will lose another game with this offense. Another first down, game over now.

Wow, that was some play by Wilson, great throw under pressure too. Bulldogs off to a great start, D picks it, Offense puts 7 on the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Awful start by Auburn here.

Touchdown TCU! Boykin is the real deal, looks better every week. Here's hoping this game rivals their game vs Oklahoma last week.

North Carolina have scored 2 TDs off two turnovers by Golson - the second a pick 6. Disastrous start by Notre Dame.

8 turnovers in 3 weeks for Golson.

Edit: Turnover for TCU! :)

• Advertisement

Boykin you are riduculous!! TD Horned Frogs!

#2, #5 and #6 all trailing 14-0. (Edit: Not anymore it seems!)

Dak Prescott having another Heisman game it looks like. 21-0.

Extremely silly decision to fake that punt.

Irish have leveled it up thankfully. Go on and win it big now!!!

I see Baylor are finally on the board, seven behind and at the twenty again. Powering up, best team in football imo.

Irish have leveled it up thankfully. Go on and win it big now!!!

I see Baylor are finally on the board, seven behind and at the twenty again. Powering up, best team in football imo.

You'll like this. Last year, a guy called Nick Pants made a Baylor Bear driving flaming car gif. The idea being that Baylor were rolling over everyone they faced. Each week, he'd add a mascot/symbol from the team they'd just beat. Here it is when it ended against Oklahoma State last year:

0bOHCuL.gif

He's back at it again this year, this time with a boat speeding by McLane Stadium.

PyKKjLx.gif

I didn't think it was possible, but this TCU game is better than last week's!

Nice drive by Notre Dame to put a little daylight between them and North Carolina. 35 - 26.

Horrendous call against Auburn there for offensive pass interference, just horrible. Wipes out a huge play.

What a catch! Touchdown TCU! What a game...

Edit: Overruled, but 1st down TCU with the PI penalty. Big momentum boost if Baylor can prevent a TD here.

• Advertisement

Looks like Golson is having another mare in South Bend. Just read Zaire is warming up - is that down to Golson's performance or is he hurt?

Advertisement