Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS4 vs PS3 - Havent had a playstation since PS2

• 08-04-2014 1:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭

Im mostly a PC gamer but im thinking of getting a PS3, but maybe PS4.

PS3 = cheaper, huge selection of games, exclusives i couldnt play on PC or XBOX. Demons Souls (dark souls is one of my fave games)

PS4 = new, hype-factor, smaller selection of games but can be less distracted by mountains of games (optimism), double the price.

So PS3 + **** load of games or PS4 + 1 or 2 games ?

Seems like PS3 is better option considering ive never even played it. And can get a massive amount of games compared to price of PS4 on its own.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

You're gonna get such a mix of opinion from both sides you're just gonna be better off going with the games you like best, be they the exclusives on the PS3 or otherwise.

Me personally, since getting the PS4 I find it very difficult to go back, it's just improved on so, so many ways, not just graphics. It just makes it tedious to go back -stupid things like downloading free games off the PS store is cumbersome and extremely long on PS3 and the menus are slow and they lag. There are great exclusives no doubt, but once you finish them off it's just not as slick and functional as the PS4 -MP for example.

Its up to you and there are compelling arguments for both sides, but I'd go for the PS4. Invest now and enjoy the superior experience. PS3 games are coming via PS Now and even rumoured emulation in 2015 anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    You're gonna get such a mix of opinion from both sides you're just gonna be better off going with the games you like best, be they the exclusives on the PS3 or otherwise.

Me personally, since getting the PS4 I find it very difficult to go back, it's just improved on so, so many ways, not just graphics. It just makes it tedious to go back -stupid things like downloading free games off the PS store is cumbersome and extremely long on PS3 and the menus are slow and they lag. There are great exclusives no doubt, but once you finish them off it's just not as slick and functional as the PS4 -MP for example.

Its up to you and there are compelling arguments for both sides, but I'd go for the PS4. Invest now and enjoy the superior experience. PS3 games are coming via PS Now and even rumoured emulation in 2015 anyway.

Thing is i dont know about those negative things so i have some advantage there :D.

Ive literally never even used a ps3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

PS4 is (obviously) a better piece of hardware and coming from a PC background, the drop in visual quality will be less going to PS4.

However, the real decision maker, if I were you, would be the announcement of PlayStation Now. It allows you to play (what I would guess will be) a large library of PS3 games over the cloud. This way, you get the best of both worlds IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Get a PS3 now, then get a PS4 next year. I dont think there is enough out for the PS4 just yet to justify a purchase IMO

Also, have they released any update for the PS4 to enable you to play AVI/ MP4s and use it as a media player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

thorbarry wrote: »
    Also, have they released any update for the PS4 to enable you to play AVI/ MP4s and use it as a media player?

No direct media playback yet, but you can use Plex via the PS4's browser and it is flawless for me and my crappy router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'd go with a PS3 if you haven't had one. It's my favourite console so far, after the PS2.

In a year or so after making your way through the best PS3 titles, grab a PS4, I reckon. Or Xbox One, if in a year, it has better games than PS4. I don't think it will, myself, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

PS3 as the OP said has far more games, and the PS + selection will be better than PS4 for a while yet, and its still way better at media stuff than the PS4. There are also great games like the Uncharted series, Last of US and various other great Sony exclusives that you can probably get fairly cheap now (with the exception of the newer ones).

The PS4 is a wonderful machine, and personally I have been loving the few game its gotten so far.

You could get a PS3, and catch up on some of the last gen gems, and when your done move up to a PS4, when it has dropped in price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

But if you go for PS3 now - get PS+ and choose the free PS4 and vita games... So if you do upgrade you will have a selection of games to play...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,688 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As is always the case, the beginning of a new console generation is possibly the best time to check out the previous one. The back catalogue is huge, the games are notably cheaper, and you still have at least a year or more of worthwhile releases on the way (Persona 5 is, after all, only slated for early 2015). Even better this time around compared to previous gens is that digital distribution means trying to find some of the more obscure releases won't be quite the chore it would have been at the tail end of the PS2's lifespan. Add to that the PS1 / PS2 releases on PSN and PS Plus, and it'll be quite a while before my PS3 is unplugged for any notable period of time.

Obviously the PS4 is an excellent machine with some very worthwhile games so far, but especially if you have a decent PC it will be a while before there's enough exclusive must buys. That's not a slight on the PS4 - every console experiences it, more or less, Playstation or otherwise. If you're on the fence, there's no real reason to jump in yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If you are mainly PC gamer, then I would go with ps3. I got all 3, but PC and PS3 are the ones that get played most. PS4 is just being turned on to check free game of the month.

I still think that ps4 is a good value for gamers, who have no PC and only PS3, but for PC gamers - not so much. Unless you want to have a console purely for "couch lazy" days like I do. Even so, ps3 does it better. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,799 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I use my PS3 a lot more than my PS4. I'd go with the PS3 for now and upgrade to the PS4 later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭naughto

i was gifted a ps3 a few months ago owner was upgrading to ps4 i have being a xbox owner for yrs.just finised the last of us the last day very good game,on heavy rain now.
    I have a problem with chat though.
    i have it all connectd up with the cables and have a turtle beach amigo so i can plug in the mike but i cannot hear any one.
    i have gone in to assessorys and changed it to turtle beach for input out put i have also changed it from hdmi to the red white cables option.
    the only way i can hear people is by plugging the green port in to the amigo port but then i have no game audio in my headset.
    is there a way where you can have both chat audio and game audio from the headset?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

I use the PS3 a lot more than the PS4, the reasons for this is I watch my movies on it cause PS4 isnt able.
    And I have games I wanted to finish like Skyrim, Id say in the next six months gaming wise it will mostly be PS4 again, alas still not for movies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I would say PS3. We're still in the launch window of the PS4 which is about the worst time to buy it. There are hardly any games for it and it's pretty expensive. If it was me I'd grab a cheap PS3 and a bunch of games. Move on to PS4 in a year or so when it's cheaper and has a better selection, all your multiplatform games will be on PC in the meantime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

Stay a generation behind for superb value for money.
    PS3 games are great value at the minute, and there is a great selection.
    I'm putting together a little collection of the greatest PS3 games ever released for next to nothing.
    They look, play and sound great on a large HDMI tv in a room kitted with surround sound speakers
    No buying and trying games at 60 euro a pop for me.
    I can't see myself wanting a PS4 for years yet.
    Of course if you have to have the latest, and enjoy paying top dollar, then go for PS4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Get both!!
    Problem solved :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

cadete wrote: »
    Get both!!
    Problem solved :-D

Nah, I wouldn't enjoy spending that kind of money on the PS4 or the games for it, or have the time to play both

• Registered Users Posts: 3 buy me a chinese

I got the PS4 a few months ago and sold my PS3 since I couldn't justify owning two consoles (also have a high end PC).

I played the PS4 a lot the first few days and then by the third week it was just a Netflix machine. The library is just too small right now and unless you're the kind of person who buys every big game at launch and spends the rest of the time playing FIFA online all day, it's not worth it when the PS3 has a huge library and can do nearly everything the PS4 can do.

Nothing interesting, at least to me, came out on PS+. Meanwhile games I wanted on PS3 came out left and right. Ended up selling the PS4 and next week I'll pick up the PS3 Destiny bundle. With all the PS+ games I've built up waiting for me there too. Can't wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭budman9

In hardware aspect it's better to buy PS3 now (best models are 21xx - 25xx) and wait for 2nd gen PS4 model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Went from PS3 to PS4. Played PS4 exclusively since I got it and as mentioned by another poster it's hard to go back. That said the last two weeks I went back to the PS3 to play an online golf game and some of the PS+ backlog and have been playing more PS3 than 4.

In your situation though I'd have to go with the PS4 but I play a lot of MP and that keeps me occupied

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,446 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Buy a 360 for last gen and a PS4 for next gen.

Biggest reasons: 360 pad is better than the Dual Shock 3. The Dual Shock 4 is better than the XB1 pad. Also, some of the PS3's best games are coming to PS4 like The Last of Us, Journey, Hotline Miami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

There is easily enough out to justify buying a PS4. But if you never played a PS3 get that first play all it's gems and then move onto the PS4 say Xmas 2015.

I've got a load of PS4 games but still have a few to get through on my PS3 before I can lay it to rest. And by a few I mean more than 10!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Had a PS3 and ended up getting a new game, playing it for 3 weeks and it wouldnt be touched till the next new game. Since I got the PS4 I play it 3/4 times a week and played FIFA for 5/6 hours on Saturday, two weeks before the new release, that would never happen for me with the PS3.

I have Battlefield, FIFA 14, MLB, Watch Dogs for PS4, more than enough gaming for one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Having nothing to play beside a Vita, I only picked up a PS3 last december (picked up a 12GB one in Tesco for €80) and I already have a backlog of about a hundred games through cheap games on the PS store (I think the only game I paid more than a tenner for was the Last of Us which I picked up for half price in a sale), clearance sales in Tesco & Xtravision and PS Plus (I reckon I picked up most of the games I want at this stage). I'm having a great time ploughing my way through the Uncharted and Infamous series and more offbeat games like Siren: Blood Curse, Journey and Brothers. I'll pick up a PS4 in a couple of years but honestly I've no need to at the moment because I'm completely spoilt for choice.

Advertisement