Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking - but only when I am away

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Popescu

kaza2710 wrote: »
    As life gets in the way I cant always be at home. I am sure he misses me and I understand but I want to find a way to reduce the barking which seems to result from this.
    Birds tweet. Cats meow. Dogs bark. Some more than others. It is his way of coping and not harming him.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭iPink

Popescu wrote: »
    Birds tweet. Cats meow. Dogs bark. Some more than others. It is his way of coping and not harming him.

Yes but excessive barking especially at specific/inappropriate times is a sign of anxiety & as such a behaviour that could worsen over time. .. This would be harmful. The type of bark would also signify different emotions. .

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

For those in this thread that feel that dogs do the things they do because they are trying to be the leader of the pack, or are missing their leader of the pack, can I please urge you to read the following link, which describes why this notion is not correct, and not supported by any evidence.
    www.dogwelfarecampaign.org

Edited to add: That link isn't working for some reason. Damn! Anyway... Some alternatives:
    http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/caninedominance

http://www.apbc.org.uk/articles/why-wont-dominance-die

iPink wrote: »
    Yes but excessive barking especially at specific/inappropriate times is a sign of anxiety & as such a behaviour that could worsen over time. .. This would be harmful. The type of bark would also signify different emotions. .

My dog is 12 years 4 months, barks when I go for a newspaper and the vets say he is one of the healthiest dogs they have come across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Actually howling would be a more common way for a dog to call the pack or a member of the pack back. ..
    I would suggest changing up your routine when you leave. .. For example do you always give him a treat, direct him to his crate & pat him on the head before leaving?
    You would probably find that his anxiety is starting long before you actually physically leave just by reading your signs, which compounds his anxious state... this needs to be changed in some way... what about one of those treat toys that they have to work out how to get the treats out?
    The backing is a part of his anxiety I would suggest & as your are gone he feels like he needs to step up & be 'the boss' which he doesn't really feel equipped to do as he sees himself as no.2... This makes him more anxious. ..
    Can your partner try to establish herself as higher up the pecking order than him. .. maybe do some training & work on more obedience with him. .. This should make him feel safer & calmer when you are not there. ..
    Just a few thoughts op... hope you get out sorted but it will take some time & patience :)

Why do you have the opinion that he needs to step up and be the boss? Or that he thinks of himself as no.2? Dogs really don't think that way at all. Apart from the fact that science has disproved all the wolf theory behaviours that a lot of pet owners insist on projecting onto their dogs, I find it hard to believe that a domesticated dog has the thought processes or capability to think this way. While dogs are very clever animals, they're not clever enough to have that kind of thinking. They just miss their owner, plain and simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

My dog is 12 years 4 months, barks when I go for a newspaper and the vets say he is one of the healthiest dogs they have come across.

And what canine behaviourial qualifications does your vet have?

muddypaws wrote: »
    And what canine behaviourial qualifications does your vet have?
    Vets have an educational foundation and experience with dogs. My dog is doing very well and gets a lot of attention. I am lucky to have had him for so long.

Vets have an educational foundation and experience with dogs. My dog is doing very well and gets a lot of attention. I am lucky to have had him for so long.

There are canine behaviourial qualifications, I asked which of those your vet possesses. I have no doubt he/she is medically trained.

muddypaws wrote: »
    There are canine behaviourial qualifications, I asked which of those your vet possesses. I have no doubt he/she is medically trained.
    I have not interrogated any vet. I know my dog and I understand him. I wonder how long you have had your dog.

I have not interrogated any vet. I know my dog and I understand him. I wonder how long you have had your dog.

Which one, I have 12.

I merely asked, as you brought your vet into this discussion, saying that your dog barks when you go for the newspaper, and your vet says your dog is very healthy, there is a difference between being physically and mentally healthy, as I'm sure you know. Some of the people that have commented on this thread and offered the OP advice do actually have canine behaviourial qualifications, and so perhaps they, as well as the OP are able to see that the dog may need some help. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

DBB wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, and this is based purely on personal observation (though I could have read it somewhere too!), Wheatens seem to be more prone than other breeds to developing separation-related problems. Generally, terriers are less prone to it as they have that natural independence to them, but Wheaties are a bit of an exception in this regard!

I have a Wheaten, neutered, 4yrs, great dogs, but IMO, they stay puppyish for a long time, and they crave company. I have two dogs, and the Wheaten was the second to come aboard and (again, just my opinion) not a dog that would do well alone, and he really needs the company of the second dog. Mine is not really a barker (only really barks when necessary), but again, this came with maturity, so stick with it and he will settle. Good luck OP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Popescu can you quit it with the argumentative undertone please. We've had several reported posts. The OP is getting excellent advice but for some reason you are contradicting everything that is being said even by a qualified behavioural expert.

This is your one and only warning, stay on topic and less of the attitude please.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Popescu can you quit it with the argumentative undertone please. We've had several reported posts. The OP is getting excellent advice but for some reason you are contradicting everything that is being said even by a qualified behavioural expert.

This is your one and only warning, stay on topic and less of the attitude please.

You wont hear from me again.

Why do you have the opinion that he needs to step up and be the boss? Or that he thinks of himself as no.2? Dogs really don't think that way at all. Apart from the fact that science has disproved all the wolf theory behaviours that a lot of pet owners insist on projecting onto their dogs, I find it hard to believe that a domesticated dog has the thought processes or capability to think this way. While dogs are very clever animals, they're not clever enough to have that kind of thinking. They just miss their owner, plain and simple.

I don't have any canine qualifications but have worked and lived with many dogs my whole life. .. I have very successfully trained my own dogs and helped many people who have had problems with difficult dogs..!
    Again, I stress that I don't have any qualifications (with animals! ) but I still stand by what I say... whatever 'science' says (which could be totally rebutted next month & again vice versa the next!) I still believe that dogs remain very close to their wolf ancestors just as I also believe that humans are basically one step up from cave dwellers ... I am a trained human psychologist & practising counsellor/psychotherapist by the way! ! :)

Obviously the behaviour isn't totally the same...
    I am sure there are quite a few (often contradicting) theories on animal/dog behaviour just as there are on human behaviour. .. Most are still quite valid!

For what it's worth, when it comes to dogs I tend to follow the teachings of Caesar Milan... Please don't shout too loud!! :))

I also wouldn't put it down to clever thinking at all... it's instinct plain & simple. .. which to me makes way more sense than 'missing' someone. .. Now that I believe to be a very human emotion and anthropomorphism at it's core. .

Let me be clear- I don't for one second think that dogs don't feel pain, hunger, fear etc but I do believe they live very much in the now so something like 'missing someone' is not the same as feeling an absence of their presence & the role they perform so therefore wishing to fill that void. ..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

As a psychotherapist, do you not feel it to be somewhat anomalous that the evidence we have strongly supports the fact that dominance hierarches and resultant "pack leadership" models do not exist in either dogs or wolves? In addition, there is not a shred of evidence that has been found to date to support the pack leader model as relied upon by the unqualified, and resolutely resistant to taking on board any scientific evidence Cesar Milan?
    Surely, as a psychologist, you have been trained towards going with what evidence is available, rather than going along with something that has no empirical support whatsoever? Surely it is contrary to codes of practise within your professional bodies to plough your own unsupported furrow?
    Otherwise, it's just quackery, plain and simple!
    It is also not quite right to say that dogs just obey instincts. Not only are they subject to the laws of associative learning, there is also increasing evidence to suggest that they are emotional creatures, feeling a similar range of emotions to any human being. This is why they're all so different, and why the pack leadership "one size fits all" method of diagnosis and treatment is not effective in a wide range of dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I don't have any canine qualifications but have worked and lived with many dogs my whole life. .. I have very successfully trained my own dogs and helped many people who have had problems with difficult dogs..!
    Again, I stress that I don't have any qualifications (with animals! ) but I still stand by what I say... whatever 'science' says (which could be totally rebutted next month & again vice versa the next!) I still believe that dogs remain very close to their wolf ancestors just as I also believe that humans are basically one step up from cave dwellers ... I am a trained human psychologist & practising counsellor/psychotherapist by the way! ! :)

Obviously the behaviour isn't totally the same...
    I am sure there are quite a few (often contradicting) theories on animal/dog behaviour just as there are on human behaviour. .. Most are still quite valid!

For what it's worth, when it comes to dogs I tend to follow the teachings of Caesar Milan... Please don't shout too loud!! :))

I'd echo DBB in saying I find it a bit odd that you follow the teachings of CM, himself a completely unqualified tv personality who's techniques are completely at odds with every ethical, well qualified canine behaviourist out there? Given that you yourself have a qualification in a field similar but in the human sphere? He's a guy who got a lucky break on TV and decided to base his show and every book thereafter on wolf behaviour without any formal education in the field. By the way, David Mech, the original, very well respected scientist on which the wolf behavioural theories were based even came out and said "I got it wrong".

The way I look at it if somebody said they based their dogs training and obedience on CM techniques I would ask them would they also go to an unqualified vet to treat their dogs medical ailments. CM professes to "growing up with dogs all my life" but that's as far as his canine education goes and that does not make him an expert. Apart from the fact that he's downright cruel and has the scars from the dogs he pushed too far to prove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I also wouldn't put it down to clever thinking at all... it's instinct plain & simple. .. which to me makes way more sense than 'missing' someone. .. Now that I believe to be a very human emotion and anthropomorphism at it's core. .

Let me be clear- I don't for one second think that dogs don't feel pain, hunger, fear etc but I do believe they live very much in the now so something like 'missing someone' is not the same as feeling an absence of their presence & the role they perform so therefore wishing to fill that void. ..

my two miss me. i was in hospital two days and the way they greeted me, far more so than when i am out a while.they attach so strongly to their person.no one else will do. nothing an.d no one can fill that void. the person who cares for them when i am away will second that

far more than your post suggests. there is no substitute for the owner. i hate anthropomorphism andthis is not that
    this bonding is pure dog
    a week on and rescue collie is still my stitched on shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mark.Smith90

Here is some info I got from a good blog on why dogs howl and how to stop it, thought it might be useful :)

<snip>
    Mark.Smith90, as per the other threads, please do not quote from other people's blogs and websites unless you're prepared to appropriately credit the author and link to the original article.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭robocode

whatever 'science' says

why the inverted commas around science :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement