Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abbey Park

Options
  • 08-04-2014 8:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

I know a good few years back this place wouldn't have had the best reputation...I'm just wondering what it's like nowadays?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Very quiet and settled. You must have been referring to a long time ago to say it had a bad reputation

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

thomasm wrote: »
    Very quiet and settled. You must have been referring to a long time ago to say it had a bad reputation

Well yeah I'm talking 15/20 years ago. I'm not trying to bad mouth the place or anything, I'm interested in a house over there and just trying to find out what the area is like now.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Its actually a really nice area for families, plenty of green space, close to the countryside and Ferrybank, so best of both worlds. Its also on the bus route and has good schools within half a mile.

MillyD123 wrote: »
    Its actually a really nice area for families, plenty of green space, close to the countryside and Ferrybank, so best of both worlds. Its also on the bus route and has good schools within half a mile.

Okay thanks, maybe I just saw it at a bad time, haven't been there in years. Sounds like it will be worth a look so!

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Never heard of abbey park having a bad rep must have been a while ...
    Too many people get mixed up between abbey lands and the estate along abbey road (incl abbey park) so maybe that where you were thinking of ?

• Advertisement

Never heard of abbey park having a bad rep must have been a while ...
    Too many people get mixed up between abbey lands and the estate along abbey road (incl abbey park) so maybe that where you were thinking of ?

You could well be right, I don't know the area well enough to be sure....I used to deliver pizzas when I was in school and just remember getting a fair bit of hassle over there, glad to hear it's a decent enough area. There are a few houses for sale over there at the moment so I'll have a look.

You mentioned abbey lands, is that area not great? I'm just trying to avoid moving into a dodgy area and I don't really know anyone in that part of ferrybank so no real way of knowing....is there anywhere to avoid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

15 years ago...the shíte that used to go on up there. It was a bit rough alright but nothing on the scale of some of the more notorious estates in the city.
    Seems fairly calm these days, nice enough place I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭cookie.monster

should this thread not be in the kilkenny forum??as technically its in kilkenny!!!!well they say it is when kilkenny is winning at something anyways lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

ooh lets not go down that road AGAIN:(

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭bluesfan

You mentioned abbey lands, is that area not great? I'm just trying to avoid moving into a dodgy area and I don't really know anyone in that part of ferrybank so no real way of knowing....is there anywhere to avoid?

Avoid Christendom, everywhere else is fine

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, went over there for a look yesterday and it really does look like a grand estate. Maybe I was mixing it up with somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

bluesfan wrote: »
    Avoid Christendom, everywhere else is fine

What's wrong with Christendom?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

should this thread not be in the kilkenny forum??as technically its in kilkenny!!!!well they say it is when kilkenny is winning at something anyways lol

No, Ferrybank is a suburb of Waterford City. Please do not get me started, This is an argument you cant win.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

Zed Bank wrote: »
    No, Ferrybank is a suburb of Waterford City. Please do not get me started, This is an argument you cant win.

I live in ferrybank co.kilkenny. my estate is in kilkenny. I vote in kilkenny .kilkenny county council looks after my estate.
    So I think that proves , some of ferrybank is in co.kilkenny!

kayevajo wrote: »
    I live in ferrybank co.kilkenny. my estate is in kilkenny. I vote in kilkenny .kilkenny county council looks after my estate.
    So I think that proves , some of ferrybank is in co.kilkenny!

"Some" of it sure, a few estates built during the Celtic tiger years, I was born and raised in Ferrybank and I'm a deise man to my core. Walsh's, Flynns, The Church, the Abbey, Marymount, Rockingham- the village is in Waterford

I'd think its safe to assume you were born in Waterford Regional Hospital, and id say its a safe bet to think you work in Waterford, do your shopping in Waterford, go out to eat in Waterford, went to school in Waterford, go to town whenever you need something etc etc. The list goes on and on. Im sorry but all these things make you from Waterford. I even have a few friends from Slievrue who identifiy as being from Waterford (albeit they are far and few between) but it just goes to show the affinity to the Deise in our area.

Kilkenny County Council historically has no time for us, and I for one love being from Waterford, I've got the accent and GAA Jerseys to prove it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

"Some" of it sure, a few estates built during the Celtic tiger years, I was born and raised in Ferrybank and I'm a deise man to my core. Walsh's, Flynns, The Church, the Abbey, Marymount, Rockingham- the village is in Waterford

I'd think its safe to assume you were born in Waterford Regional Hospital, and id say its a safe bet to think you work in Waterford, do your shopping in Waterford, go out to eat in Waterford, went to school in Waterford, go to town whenever you need something etc etc. The list goes on and on. Im sorry but all these things make you from Waterford. I even have a few friends from Slievrue who identifiy as being from Waterford (albeit they are far and few between) but it just goes to show the affinity to the Deise in our area.

Kilkenny County Council historically has no time for us, and I for one love being from Waterford, I've got the accent and GAA Jerseys to prove it ;)

I never said I was from kilkenny. Just pointing out some facts!

kayevajo wrote: »
    I never said I was from kilkenny. Just pointing out some facts!

Facts I never disputed.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭DonFred

Well said Zed Bank = up the village.

Just saying lads, as a person who has most of his family in Kilkenny, and lives here for many years now, but has ALSO lived in Ferrybank (abbey park to be specific), absolutely nobody from Kilkenny would view Ferrybank as being part of the same county.

Seems kinda weird that it techically is, but eh its just a part of Waterford city. When I lived there I would have regarded it as Waterford.
    The biggest divide seems to be in Ferrybank itself, most usually prominent with GAA county colourss.
    Remember they painted Mandarin Palace (cant remember what it was called back then) in Kilkenny colours back in 2000 or so, and then later changed it to Waterford colours :D

oak5548 wrote: »
    Just saying lads, as a person who has most of his family in Kilkenny, and lives here for many years now, but has ALSO lived in Ferrybank (abbey park to be specific), absolutely nobody from Kilkenny would view Ferrybank as being part of the same county.

Seems kinda weird that it techically is, but eh its just a part of Waterford city. When I lived there I would have regarded it as Waterford.
    The biggest divide seems to be in Ferrybank itself, most usually prominent with GAA county colourss.
    Remember they painted Mandarin Palace (cant remember what it was called back then) in Kilkenny colours back in 2000 or so, and then later changed it to Waterford colours :D

Ferrybank is in Waterford :)

• Advertisement

Ferrybank is in Waterford :)

Thats basically what I was getting at. But if you were to really get into the technicalities of it, a large portion of it is in kilkenny.

But who gives a shíte about some imaginary line for a county boarder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

North Waterford :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

Wow...that sounds kinda sad

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭amber69

I'd think its safe to assume you were born in Waterford Regional Hospital, and id say its a safely bet to think you work in Waterford, do your shopping in Waterford, go out to eat in Waterford, went to school in Waterford, go to town whenever you need something etc etc. The list goes on and on. Im sorry but all these things make you from Waterford. I even have a few friends from Slievrue who identifiy as being from Waterford (albeit they are far and few between) but it just goes to show the affinity to the Deise in our area.

That's why they spent their money stocking a library there, and the locals put a protest outside it. On topic abbey park is grand now wasn't always.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

amber69 wrote: »
    That's why they spent their money stocking a library there, and the locals put a protest outside it. On topic abbey park is grand now wasn't always.

That protest was against phil hogan and his "property tax" not the library, and was stated beforehand, on the day, and afterwards. The coward that he is, he ran away without officially unveiling the plaque so he wouldnt have to face people who were against it. On that note, a reporter from wlr was there too and did not go near any protester, that I saw, so much for 2 sides to the story!

on topic - I too would not be familiar with the area and refrain from comment as I might mistake one area for another

Thanks for the advice folks :)

Just wondering, it doesn't seem to be served by UPC. What's the best option for broadband over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Thanks for the advice folks :)

Just wondering, it doesn't seem to be served by UPC. What's the best option for broadband over there?

May be worth trying the free sky broadband for twelve months when (if) you plan on getting a sky sports or movies package ...

Advertisement