Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky and the GAA.

• 08-04-2014 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭

If you are a member of the GAA and you are not happy with the deal the GAA has done for Ireland in relation to Sky Sports, I recommend that you take the following course of action.

Put down a motion at your club AGM that the Sky sponsorship deal relating to Ireland not be renewed after the current deal expires! And that no more pay to view deals are entered into as far as Ireland is concerned.

If your county has a monthly draw, do not renew your subscription to it.
    Encourage small businesses to withdraw their sponsorship of your local club and local competitions. Your club may have a short term loss but a long term gain.

Have a thought for older men in particular who have given a lifetime of service to the GAA and who love the game who are living alone in rural Ireland no longer able or have the desire to drive to the pub, same applies to people living in urban areas many of whom being outside of their own home feel lonely in a crowd.

I am all in favour of the GAA selling their rights to countries outside of Ireland, it will give ex pats an opportunity to see the games and meet with their fellow country folk, best if they could meet in their local GAA club.
    Interesting to hear the GAA hierarchy come on radio and TV and defend their actions, they compared what they were doing with other sports throughout the world. Only problem they made comparisons with professional sports. Our games are amateur games and many of us would like to keep it that way!

I take no pleasure in saying this but as a young man I heard the GAA often referred to as the Grab All Association. The association belongs to the members and it is up to us to maintain it’s integrity.

P.S. Interesting to note how many local clubs are sponsored by the “Local Bar” even though the GAA want to see them selves as being at the vanguard of “responsible drinking”. This pay for view deal will only be good for publicans and work against the fostering of a responsible drink culture which for one reason or another is badly needed in Ireland.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Don't see what the big deal is here. How is this any different from Setanta Sports showing league games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

Xenophile wrote: »
    Encourage small businesses to withdraw their sponsorship of your local club and local competitions. Your club may have a short term loss but a long term gain.

What long term gain?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

adrian522 wrote: »
    Don't see what the big deal is here. How is this any different from Setanta Sports showing league games?

That was the thin end of the wedge, we did not protest when it happened, I would not be surprised if the GAA used Setanta to test the temperature of the water!

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    What long term gain?

Integrity, respectability volunteers who look after kids almost every week end and many evenings a week will feel happy in the knowledge that their input into an amateur organisation is helping to maintain this unique organisation. You see where the grab for money brought us to in the days of the Celtic Tiger. The organisation does not need to go out with a begging bowl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,399 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Xenophile wrote: »
    If you are a member of the GAA and you are not happy with the deal the GAA has done for Ireland in relation to Sky Sports, I recommend that you take the following course of action.

Put down a motion at your club AGM that the Sky sponsorship deal relating to Ireland not be renewed after the current deal expires! And that no more pay to view deals are entered into as far as Ireland is concerned.

If your county has a monthly draw, do not renew your subscription to it.

Have a thought for older men in particular who have given a lifetime of service to the GAA and who love the game who are living alone in rural Ireland no longer able or have the desire to drive to the pub, same applies to people living in urban areas many of whom being outside of their own home feel lonely in a crowd.

I am all in favour of the GAA selling their rights to countries outside of Ireland, it will give ex pats an opportunity to see the games and meet with their fellow country folk, best if they could meet in their local GAA club.
    Interesting to hear the GAA hierarchy come on radio and TV and defend their actions, they compared what they were doing with other sports throughout the world. Only problem they made comparisons with professional sports. Our games are amateur games and many of us would like to keep it that way!

I take no pleasure in saying this but as a young man I heard the GAA often referred to as the Grab All Association. The association belongs to the members and it is up to us to maintain it’s integrity.

P.S. Interesting to note how many local clubs are sponsored by the “Local Bar” even though the GAA want to see them selves as being at the vanguard of “responsible drinking”. This pay for view deal will only be good for publicans and work against the fostering of a responsible drink culture which for one reason or another is badly needed in Ireland.
    Couldn't agree more.
    They used the excuse of making the games available to UK as a primary reason. That's bull crap. I'm sure some other arrangement could have been put in place for UK besides sky sports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Jesus, let it go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Really? After I warned you last night to stop spamming the same message?
    Banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement