Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WINDOWS altering file properties on a USB stick

Options
  • 08-04-2014 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

How do I check if the file properties have been changed when the files are stored on a USB stick? I am sure it is possible but I don't know how.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

look at propertys of file on drive c,
    eg mp3 file ,
    copy to usb drive,
    see if its the same,
    some usb,or usb sdcard unit,
    have lock, unlock,, switch, physical switch,or slider,
    lock on, means files on usb device are read only, cant be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If by properties you mean permissions then on a FAT formatted USB stick there are none. Only NTFS formatted sticks can make use of the POSIX permissions system used by NTFS and allow or deny read/write access to a file for specific users or groups.

Standard file properties like A (Archive Bit) - H (Hidden Bit) - Read Only - System can apply to FAT filesystems but there is no security on a FAT disk. But these attributes can be changed by anyone with access to the files.

Ken

Advertisement