Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

AA insurance renewal query

Options
  • 08-04-2014 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, is anyone else insured via the AA due for renewal shortly? Mine is due in about a month and I got my quote and no claims statement in the post yesterday. However, it came directly from the company the AA have me insured with, not the AA themselves. Now I received a letter from the AA some time ago saying that something was changing regarding policies, but I can't remember what it said exactly and of course I can't find the letter now!

My renewal price isn't bad, I'm just wondering are the AA dropping me or is it worth ringing them for a quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

You wont know until you ring them. Get another quote from another company and compare. If the other is cheaper then say it to AA and they will probably match it.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

OP, my insurance falls due in December, so I got the same letter well in advance of my renewal.

IIRC, the letter said that they were no longer acting as a broker for the company they'd insured me with. My renewal notice came from that company (a good quote, price-wise). I did ring the AA for a quote, and ended up staying with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Which company, curiosity? PM me if you'd rather not say in public....

blastman wrote: »
    Which company, curiosity? PM me if you'd rather not say in public....

Ahhh, the joys of not clearing out the desk drawers. Renewal letter still to hand!
    "As of the 1st July 2013, AA Ireland has not selected AIG to continue on its motor insurance panel."

Cheers, that's who they had me with as well. Have to say I thought the quote from AIG was quite good, I'll be talking to the AA as well though, to see how much they really love me! :D

• Advertisement

Cheers, that's who they had me with as well. Have to say I thought the quote from AIG was quite good, I'll be talking to the AA as well though, to see how much they really love me! :D

I found the AIG quote to be good too. I did give them a call, mostly to find out why they weren't with the AA anymore. I called the AA after that. The low AIG quote was handy for getting the AA to take a few euro off.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

The AA(Brokers) removed AIG (Underwriters) from their panel of insurers. Your policy would have been underwritten by AIG so therefore they would issue you with their own renewal letter seeking to keep your custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

I've said it before but just in case:
    It was cheaper for me to buy AA membership and the Insurance, than any other quote I received. I think it gives an extra 14% or something, even more probably....

Well, I actually got a letter from the AA as well now, offering me the chance to stay with them. Trouble is their quote is over €200 more than the AIG quote, not including AA membership to get breakdown cover, which the AIG policy has.

Don't know if I'll bother ringing them, they'll hardly come down that much (new AA quote is with Axa, which explains a lot!)

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Be careful....the aa renewed my policy without permisson even though I took a new policy with AIG!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Well, I actually got a letter from the AA as well now, offering me the chance to stay with them. Trouble is their quote is over €200 more than the AIG quote, not including AA membership to get breakdown cover, which the AIG policy has.

Don't know if I'll bother ringing them, they'll hardly come down that much (new AA quote is with Axa, which explains a lot!)

Always worth a call. I try them every year and this year, they were 25% cheaper than the nearest competitor for my brothers first time insurance on a mondeo with provisional licence. That included aa membership and fully comp insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

AA quotes for me have always been hugely overpriced for whatever reason. Granted, until this year at 25 I've been a "young" driver, but with 6 years NCB in my own name you'd think they would be able to provide a quote that wasn't quite literally double what I ended up paying Liberty for my renewal.

There's expensive and there's unrealistic, and all of that despite the fact that I'm a platinum AA member :/

Advertisement