Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying Rent At Home

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have a stepson living with us at home. We recently, for the first time, suggested that he pay a contribution to the household now that he is working. We only asked for a small about of €60 per month. He was shocked that we should even ask.

How much do you think a young person with a job should be contributing to the household while they continue to live with their parents?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

You'll need to ask a mod to move your thread to a more appropriate forum.
    It really depends on how much he is earning, but 10-20% would be a good start possibly more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

bob135 wrote: »
    I have a stepson living with us at home. We recently, for the first time, suggested that he pay a contribution to the household now that he is working. We only asked for a small about of €60 per month. He was shocked that we should even ask.

How much do you think a young person with a job should be contributing to the household while they continue to live with their parents?

Tell him he is more than welcome to leave if he feels he can get his own place, food, utilities, tv etc for €60 a month

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

60 pm is really really low, I'd think that per week if the house is in a city sounds much more like it. Its still way less than what he would be paying if he was sharing a house/apt.

And he was shocked? Youth of today rabble rabble etc....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

How old is he? Not that €60 a month is too much in any case but, for me, while that would be a good figure to charge a 16 year old with a part time job if he's an adult and/or working full-time you could justifiably look for quite a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bob135

He is 22. A good lad and a hard worker. But maybe has had a free ride for too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

€50 pw and ask him if he can find cheaper he's welcome to find else where then ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

Ha Ha - he was shocked to be asked to pay €60 P/M!! I have an image in my mind of Kevin from The Harry Enfield Show! In reality, assuming he's taking home over €300 per week i.e working full-time, I don't think asking him to contribute €350 p/m is unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'll move this thread to the Parenting forum - hopefully you'll get good advice there.

(@Parenting mods, apologies if not the right forum).

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Gatling wrote: »
    €50 pw and ask him if he can find cheaper he's welcome to find else where then ,

+1.

OP,to give you an idea,the average house share around Cork would be €300 per month and I imagine Dublin is a lot more,so €50 a week seems about right.

Its what I handed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Take it from the parenting forum and send it to After Hours. The nice folk there will be only too glad to give you some constructive advice.

E60 pm. I'd be charging him that for a week if he was unemployed, and receiving E100 pw, never mind working f/t.

He's a bloody Freeloader and he's taking you and your partner for fools. Get him out into the real world to stand on his own two feet. Nobody owes him anything.

It will also make him appreciate how easy he had it, living with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

22 and he's griping at paying €60 per month? He needs a dose of reality ASAP. I think €60 per week is much more like it and I'd be expecting him to contribute in other ways ie purchasing some groceries, helping out with chores and cleaning etc. he'd get his eyes opened if he tried to rent a room, pay utilities and feed himself for €60 per week! You're not doing him any favours by molly coddling him, he's a grown man, he needs to learn about money and responsibilities.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,383 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I agree with the above. €50 per week and a share of all the bills would seem appropriate along with a rota of household tasks.

The poor lad will be horrified:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,162 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Op i had to move home when i was 22 after uni, i was unemployed and paid my dad 50 quid p/w untill i moved out again.
    Im sure he uses up more than €2 a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Sadderday

ah here he's 22. I'm 24, when I was a teenager working after school I gave up money to my parents.

Granted - I was none the wiser the money I thought I was giving towards groceries was actually put in a savings account for me...

Just saying, I'm now fully independent and grateful that I was thought how valuable money is and how to understand that parting with your hard earned cash is part of life.

I can't believe parents that will wait until their child is 22 before teaching such an important lesson.

You need to law down the law, if you don't he will never manage in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Fella I worked with had 10 kids. Great bloke, I asked him how he handled the money with them once.

"Once they leave school, if they want to go to college and get a part time job I wont take a penny off them.
    If they want to serve a trade I wont take a penny of them while theyre doing their time.
    If they're working or on the dole its 50% of take home or move out.
    "

Told me he drilled this into them from age 14-15. All of them over 18 were in college or tradesmen or emigrated.

Best plan I ever heard and I'll be using it on my 4.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

60 euro a month? or 2 euro a night?

Can i move in?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Imo it would depend on how much he's earning.
    Is he paying for transport to said job, lunches, clothes savings etc.

Get him to budget weekly/monthly expenditure and then sit down and talk with him

with all due respect - if you don't exactly need the money - €60 will do to ease him into reality... you could up that amount later and save it but if you are struggling to pay your bills or find that you have nothing to spare for yourself...

it's because you have an adult freeloading in your gaff

if he paid his own way you could be on holiday now.... but it's not all his fault - he's just taking advantage of the situation he's in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Normally I'd always be in support of the child but this is different. If the child is in any form of education I wouldn't take a penny even if they are working. Once the child has left education they can pay their share of all expenses e.g. A third(depending on the number of people in the house) of the electricity, heating, groceries, bins, internet, phone, tv and any other household costs. They should also be expected to cook a couple of days a week and clean the house too. Or they can GTFO.

GarIT wrote: »
    Normally I'd always be in support of the child but this is different. If the child is in any form of education I wouldn't take a penny even if they are working. Once the child has left education they can pay their share of all expenses e.g. A third(depending on the number of people in the house) of the electricity, heating, groceries, bins, internet, phone, tv and any other household costs. Or they can GTFO.

I agree but I was working full time when I was 19 and paying thousands to myself through college at night. I still gave my mother €400 a month but it took the sting outta things... cos when I moved out a few months later... I was so used to paying out that much that it wasn't an ordeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Sadderday wrote: »
    I still gave my mother €400 a month but it took the sting outta things... cos when I moved out a few months later... I was so used to paying out that much that it wasn't an ordeal

I don't think you need to take money to teach them about money, you can do that in other ways. Personally I would see someone in education as having somewhat more of a protected status.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Holy Moly. €15 a week .

Sounds like he needs a reality check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Jesus. I paid more than that at 15!

The rule in our house is 25% of take home wage. When I was 15, I worked 24 hours pw at 8.90 ph, so came out with a little over 200 (worked weekends, and thurs/fri evenings while in school), and gave the mother 50 pw. Now, my hours vary, so I give 25% of my earnings per week, along with a chunk of my commission.

60 a month is nothing. I earn between 220-340 pw and tbh i wouldn't even notice 60 per month disappearing from my wages.

I'd be asking him for more, and allocating chores. I'm 25, so not much older than him, and tbh I think it's a joke that he baulks at paying so little of a contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Imo it would depend on how much he's earning.
    Is he paying for transport to said job, lunches, clothes savings etc.

Get him to budget weekly/monthly expenditure and then sit down and talk with him

If he was living out of home he'd have to pay rent so he'd have to budget anyway.

OP I was paying 50 euro a week when I was 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭NormalBob Ubiquitypants

If you expect him to pay, no matter how nominal an amount then the relationship between you has to change as well. It becomes less family and more landlord tenant in my opinion. I didn't pay rent to family but I always did things at home including buying things that were needed around the house.
    I think you ought to consider how this looks from his perspective- I noticed you said you were the step parent. I am not aware of the dynamic between you as a family, but it could be seen as give us money or get out.

I don't think families should charge or take money from each other period. That's what landlords, bankers and employers are for. It's your family and there is an issue of loyalty in my opinion. If you are concerned that he is not progressing enough with getting his own place etc then start encouraging out the door but never force someone out.

Money between families changes things no matter how small an amount.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xxINeedHelpxx

When I was living at home with my mother I paid 50 euro for myself weekly. When I had my son I then gave another 25 euro each week. I was earning about 250 euro.

I thought my deal was pretty sweet :) even more so when I moved into my own home :) There was always food in the fridge and I didn't have to worry about other bills.

I would be over the moon to be only paying 60 euro weekly never mind monthly :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

i paid my mother from the first day i started working til i moved out

i started as an apprentice on 75punts and had to hand up 25punts each week. I got a roof over my head, food on the table and all bills paid.
    By the time i moved out i was paying about 1/4 of my wage to my mother.

fairs fair imo

feck him out on his hole if he doesnt like it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

When I was on decent money, €600 p/w it was €80-100 p/w. Was let go but got a job at €400p/w and paid €50-60 p/w. Seems fair enough to me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My mother charged 300 per month, from university graduation until I found my own place. Seemed very fair to me as that was including food, internet, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,391 ✭✭✭Scar Tissue

When I was on the dole after college until last month (~5 months) I paid €20 a week from my €100, while it wasn't much and wouldn't even pay for the food I go through in a week it's still some fair ratio of contribution. I'm on a full time wage now and happy to pay around €70 a week to my parents, they put me through college so it's the very least I can do.

Your son has it easy, it should be at least 3x what he's already complaining about imo.

Advertisement