Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

308 head question

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Thinking of going down the road of building a rifle, i'm unsure of the answer to a question that has been on my mind for a while so hoping it will get an answer here.
    With building rifle what determines what it is that your applying for on your FAC,
    the brass is 7.5 but the bullet head is .308 what do i licence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The headstamp on the case, which will also be stamped on the barrel. Is it a 7.5x55?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

Thinking of going down the road of building a rifle, i'm unsure of the answer to a question that has been on my mind for a while so hoping it will get an answer here.
    With building rifle what determines what it is that your applying for on your FAC,
    the brass is 7.5 but the bullet head is .308 what do i licence?

.308 I wouuld say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

The headstamp on the case, which will also be stamped on the barrel. Is it a 7.5x55?
    sorry this is a custom build the barrel will be 308 but cambered in 7.5 firing 308 win heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

It is the chambering of the rifle that goes on the firearms certificate, or else you'd be seeing all kinds of strange figures on it. For example -

A .303" is actually between .311" and .315", depending on how old it is.

An 8mm Mauser is .318"

A 7.5x55 Swiss is .308"

A 7x57 is .284"

ANY .223" is a .224", and so on.

Firearms licensing authorities - where there ARE such organisations - go by the chambering calibre, not the imperial measurement or otherwise of the bullet fired from it. The rest of the world does it this way, so why should not the RoI?

tac

sorry this is a custom build the barrel will be 308 but cambered in 7.5 firing 308 win heads.

So what is the designated calibre of the chambering? If the case used is the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge case, then your rifle will be designated as a 7.5x55 Swiss calibre rifle - there's no point in trying to invent a new cartridge unless you intend to handload, and live in a part of Ireland where you CAN actually invent and develop your custom, wildcat, load.

I've been shooting Swiss since the late 1960's - I currently have three Swiss rifles/carbines, and the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge does indeed use the .308 bullet.

Some unconfusement needed here, I think.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

• Advertisement

What do you mean "chambered in 7.5"? And then firing .308 Win heads. Will the cartridges you're firing be .308 winchester?

What do you mean "chambered in 7.5"? And then firing .308 Win heads. Will the cartridges you're firing be .308 winchester?

As I think I explained, the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge DOES shoot a .308" diameter bullet.

We are awaiting some clarifiaction from the OP about this, but right now, welcome to the confused.

tac

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

If you were to go to your local firearms dealer and buy ammo, what would be written on the outside of the box?

That's what goes on the FAC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Just to throw another poker in the fire. Why?

If it's not .308win it cannot be used in FTR (this includes the brass) and if it's for F-Open then i doubt it's going to be a match for the 6.5 and 7mm families.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

tac foley wrote: »
    So what is the designated calibre of the chambering? If the case used is the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge case, then your rifle will be designated as a 7.5x55 Swiss calibre rifle - there's no point in trying to invent a new cartridge unless you intend to handload, and live in a part of Ireland where you CAN actually invent and develop your custom, wildcat, load.

I've been shooting Swiss since the late 1960's - I currently have three Swiss rifles/carbines, and the 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge does indeed use the .308 bullet.

Some unconfusement needed here, I think.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

Its exactly as you say 7.5 Swiss brass which i am keeping from shooting my K31 and thinking of reloading them and shooting them in a F-Open rifle that I am thinking of building using a 308 barrel...Reloading is available in the South of Ireland if your shooting F-Class and a range member.
    I was told not to attempt reload 308 for the K31.

• Advertisement

I'll repeat my post from above - this time so there is no mistake in anything that I have written -

The 7.5x55 Swiss cartridge uses the ordinary - ANY ordinary - .308" diameter bullet, just like any .308Win cartridge does. I've been reloading for this calibre since 1989, along with about a million others, with complete success. Needless to say, the increased case capacity means that it likes the heavier bullets, but many folks use bullets as light as 150gr with reasonable success. I prefer to match the issue weight, and shoot a 174gr FMJ - ANY of the high-faluting Berger/Hornady/Nosler/Speer/Lapua bullets are good - 168 - 180gr.

Your rifle, if you build it, will be designated as a 7.5x55 Swss rifle. You MAY shoot it it in F-Open, but NOT in any Creedmore-style of shooting, so how you'll be to get to reload for it might be problematic - ie., impossible. It is NOT called a .308Win, therefore you won't be able to reload for it. Remember all the palaver about wording and gun licensing?

As for not attempting to 'reload 308 for the K31', please read ANY reloading manual, since you obviously are having a hard time believing anything I write. MY K31, K11 and K31-actioned target rifle all work very well, thanks.

And so too do everybody elses'.

tac
    www.swissrifles.com

A 7.5x55, as tac says, shoots a .308 calibre bullet, so there's no change. Your rifle will just be a 7.5x55. However, there's no point in trying to use it for f-open as you'll just be slaughtered, and being a member of the squad is how you get to reload for it. You'd be better off just building a 308 win and having done with it.

thx for your input lads.. an idea shot down you might say..

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's not intentional just these ideas have been thought up, tried and found lacking in the past.

As i said above it's against the rules to use it in FTR and for F-Open stick with the proven calibers such as 6.5x284 or 7mm. Might be an option iff you were to buy it pre-made and use it for some informal stuff or you already had it. However to sink the money into building one when there are better options in F-Open and only one option inf FTR would prove futile.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

I'm getting dizzy reading this thread, sorry no offense :confused:

Advertisement