Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STV Tall Ship for Ireland

• 08-04-2014 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Since the sinking of the Asgard 2 a few years back, do you think that we will ever see a STV of its like again?
    I know there are a couple of other Tall Ships in the country (Dunbrody & Jeanie Johnson) and appear to be moored up on a permanent basis but I don't know if they would be suitable/sea worthy for the job. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

AFAIK the Jeanie Johnson was offered on loan to the Irish Gov but the offer was turned down. We now know the reason's why, the Gov wanted shut of the STP, I kow it was in a bind money wise and the €3m or so that they got from the insurence on the Asgard was put straight into the state coffers. Could it be started up again, great way to show the flag so to speak, I suppose like everything where there's a will there's a way, maybe in conjuction with the navy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

We may see the likes of Asgard II again but it will never be run along the same lines. It will only happen with a commercial operator and the government will have nothing to do with it because it costs money. The loss of Asgard II was a financial blessing to the government !

This is such a pity. I logged a few thousand miles on Asgard II. The background organisation was excellent and the ship was well run. The price of a berth was reasonable because of subsidisation. People without funds were able to get sponsored berths.

Dunbrody is a joke. It was built to sail not to be moored as a static function room.

Jeanie Johnston should be renamed Olympic Flame as it never seems to go out. So frustrating:mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

If the Government are going to invest in Maritime training, it should with the aim of training people for jobs, not training them for a hobby.

I accept many gained a lot from their time on the Asguard, but why should the state fund that?

It it were commercially viable, someone would be doing it. Obviously, it isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    Jeanie Johnston should be renamed Olympic Flame as it never seems to go out. So frustrating:mad::mad:

Thats cause she's currently not sea worthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

johnciall wrote: »
    Thats cause she's currently not sea worthy

Seriously ? What is the problem ?? Is this a situation arising from lack of use and or maintenance ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

probably a combination of the two Nutley, the current owners are trying to get the funds together to get it seaworthy again. [I may have done the tour last summer]

Advertisement