Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reporting To The Dog Warden

• 08-04-2014 11:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Is there any consequences to the dog if were to report a dog in my estate?

When I am out walking my fella, there is a small mongerel up the road who barks and snarls every time we pass. My fella has had enough and he now in turn gets aggressive with the other dog. The other dog is an "outside dog" so obviously is roaming while my guy is on a lead.

I do not want the other dog to be harmed or anything, but what can/will the warden do if reported?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Is the dog left roaming, or is he contained on private property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Dog warden will seize and place dog in pound. Once there, the owners will have a certain amount of time to claim. If not, he will likely be euthanaised. Chances of rehoming are slim. There are some charities (<snip> is one I know) that take some dogs out of the pound and foster until homes are found, but the statistics will certainly not be in his favour.

Edit: i assumed the dog was a stray OP but if he has owners, have you tried talking to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

223vmax wrote: »
    Is the dog left roaming, or is he contained on private property?
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Dog warden will seize and place dog in pound. Once there, the owners will have a certain amount of time to claim. If not, he will likely be euthanaised. Chances of rehoming are slim. There are some charities (Dogs Aid is one I know) that take some dogs out of the pound and foster until homes are found, but the statistics will certainly not be in his favour.

Edit: i assumed the dog was a stray OP but if he has owners, have you tried talking to them?

Sorry - I should have specified that he is an owned dog always hanging around at his front door outside. He is sometimes locked in their back garden. I have knocked on the neigbours door a few times. Never answered. Once they were getting into their car and their guy started again. I looked at her and gave a "this happens everytime for christ sake". She sheepishly grinned, got into the car and went away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

gimmick wrote: »
    Sorry - I should have specified that he is an owned dog always hanging around at his front door outside. He is sometimes locked in their back garden. I have knocked on the neigbours door a few times. Never answered. Once they were getting into their car and their guy started again. I looked at her and gave a "this happens everytime for christ sake". She sheepishly grinned, got into the car and went away.

Ah ok, sorry. I'm not sure about wardens powers to seize if it has an owner. I imagine they should be able to give a warning or something.:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

It probably depends a lot on the individual warden, but many of them will try to avoid seizing dogs when it's obvious where the dog lives... They just don't have the space to take every single dog unless necessary!
    It's more likely that they would have words with the owner, either warning her to keep her dog appropriatey contained, or issuing her with a fine.
    For what it's worth, a tactic I've used in such situations is to walk past the barky dog without my own dogs with me, and as barky approaches, I scatter food treats on the ground around him. The face can be priceless when they realise what's just happened! With time, as barky becomes more affiliative towards me, I start to do the same when I've my dogs with me... Only now make the treats tastier!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Haha. Good idea, but its worked reverse for me. Before we got our dog I used be friends with this dog. So much so one day he came to my door and staeted bumping against it. Myself and the wife used give him treats then. So maybe he is just jealous and let down that we are no longer close :)

Advertisement