Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland v England game announced

• 08-04-2014 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

At the Aviva, summer 2015 I think, story just breaking.

edit - June 7th

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Plenty of time for some build up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Did Michael D announce it? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Wasn't that the idea after the Wembley fixture went so well. Not exactly breaking news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

A stadium full, for the most-part, of English football fans in Lansdowne.......

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

are we still up one nil...or is this a new game??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Jaysus that didn't take long.

2mbe2Z8.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

My word what a insight. Truely fascinating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

godtabh wrote: »
    What's your point?

They could have just played it in England...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Or they could just treat this as a football match instead of an opportunity to get cheap and inaccurate digs in?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

You didn't really think this through beyond your initial stupid post, did you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its the abandoned game, you' know 1995 1-0 David Kelly. Playing it in England would be a complete historical non-sequitur

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

hardly a coincidence being announced with micky d across the water!

I'd imagine the idea is to juxtapose where we were and where we are now...quite poignantly through the medium of football it has to be said!

looking forward to it! should be a cracker and a money spinner!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

June, what a sh!t time for an international friendly.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

It's a pity we've avoided them in qualification/tournament draws the last while. That would be interesting!

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

monkey9 wrote: »
    June, what a sh!t time for an international friendly.

Nah,it'll be grand,won't most of the knuckle draggers be in Benidorm or Malia then so we won't have to worry about them invading Dublin.

zerks wrote: »
    Nah,it'll be grand,won't most of the knuckle draggers be in Benidorm or Malia then so we won't have to worry about them invading Dublin.

I think they live here too.

Th little lad will be 4 then. Might be his first game for his birthday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Three minute response time. You guys are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

monkey9 wrote: »
    June, what a sh!t time for an international friendlies, what sh!t.

fyp

• Advertisement

A game against England doesn't appeal as much as it did during times of hostility.

Still a big game but not AS big. Well imo anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Three minute response time. You guys are good.

Come on. You'll snigger as loud as anybody when Stevie G gets called an English Bastard by Lierpool supporters in the home end. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

It could be worse, believe me. I remember a friendly between Germany and England being called of in the early 1990s. Venue: Olympiastadion Berlin, Date: 20th of April :p

Seriously, it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Considering we'll be in a campaign with Scotland for Euro qualification at the time maybe we can all join together and chant 'Stand up if you hate Scotland'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Harvey Low Fat Milk

Only a friendly and all but it does hold more interest for me than the usual friendlies we play. I like seeing Ireland play against teams from the top 20-25 in the world rankings. No matter how flawed the ranking system it's a good barometer of Ireland's progression to play against the 'bigger' nations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

International football = Yawn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Eight Ball wrote: »
    My word what a insight. Truely fascinating.
    Eight Ball wrote: »
    International football = Yawn

As opposed to your in depth analysis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Have heard there will be no tickets on general sale for this. Will be a lot of Irish football supporters very disappointed they won't get to see their heroes pull on that famous white jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Cant wait. Will be over 20 years since they last played when they meet in this country.

However while I be hoping we beat them thats as far as it goes with me.

Hopefully we respect their anthems etc like they did for ours last summer.

If so should be good occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

doncarlos wrote: »
    Have heard there will be no tickets on general sale for this. Will be a lot of Irish football supporters very disappointed they won't get to see their heroes pull on that famous white jersey.

giphy.gif

8/10 Cute!

Oh dear..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Can't see there being any problems, the English have got their act together as regards proper fans getting access to games in recent times, and as anyone knows there's a British / UK problem in the North not an English one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

At least there's no timber in the new Lansdowne Road.

and likes of Jason Marriner and Carlton Leach(English hooligans) and most of their lot are banned so makes things easier.

Although im not so sure they did as much damage as they have said they did when they came to Dublin. Exaggeration was their best tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

and likes of Jason Marriner and Carlton Leach(English hooligans) and most of their lot are banned so makes things easier.

Although im not so sure they did as much damage as they have said they did when they came to Dublin. Exaggeration was their best tool.

I would agree with this , sure there was a couple of thousand Irish in wembley when Ireland played there . I can't see there being any trouble . I would honestly say the away fans will be cherry picked to go to the game .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

Ah crap, I thought it was this year, 2015 is like 10 years away.

I would agree with this , sure there was a couple of thousand Irish in wembley when Ireland played there . I can't see there being any trouble . I would honestly say the away fans will be cherry picked to go to the game .

and in fairness 99% of English fans go to support their team and not go on with that nonsense. Great support in general.

Lot easier to monitor now. Im sure a very small few will try to get over, but it will pass off peacefully.

I actually be more worried about a small group of Irish lads getting hands on tickets who only want to go cause its England and they can boo the anthems and express their unhappiness at Queen etc.

Most of the world has moved on, thankfully.

God bless them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sky won't be happy about the game being on in June. It will interfere with their GAA coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Sky won't be happy about the game being on in June. It will interfere with their GAA coverage.

Always have the Red Button option :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

It doesnt matter - no one posting here actually goes to watch games anyway.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Is this even a big deal anymore? I was hearing on the radio that the FAI expect to sell out of season tickets just to gain an opportunity to buy tickets for this game :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

sugarman wrote: »
    Terrible time for it tbh, playing Scotland a few days later in a possible make or break qualifier.. while England themselves will play Slovenia.

..hopefully just give the B team a run out.

Nobody cares anymore.

Thinking this myself.

6 days before a game v Scots where we'd be gunning for 3pts. Can't see many of the big names busting a gut to beat England. And same goes for the English players.

Also agree that a lot of footie fans are now bored of international friendlies, and a game v England will not have the same appeal it might have had 10 or 20yrs ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NIMAN wrote: »
    Thinking this myself.

6 days before a game v Scots where we'd be gunning for 3pts. Can't see many of the big names busting a gut to beat England. And same goes for the English players.

Also agree that a lot of footie fans are now bored of international friendlies, and a game v England will not have the same appeal it might have had 10 or 20yrs ago.

lol, did you see the Irish performance against England last summer? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Why, the FAI needs the money. A game against England is one of the few fixtures that guarantees them a full house at LR.
    Hopefully we respect their anthems etc like they did for ours last summer.

I doubt that respect will be reciprocated somehow. I will be pleasantly shocked if it was but a fixture like this is going to attract the grade A republican tools. At the last game against NI, the anthem was booed by a sizable proportion of the 15K strong crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

COYW wrote: »

I doubt that respect will be reciprocated somehow. I will be pleasantly shocked if it was but a fixture like this is going to attract the grade A republican tools. At the last game against NI, the anthem was booed by a sizable proportion of the 15K strong crowd.

Oh come off it! The Scots and the Welsh boo GSTQ when they play England, yet I don't see the outrage from certain quarters when that happens.

FYI the UK anthem was well respected by the sizeable away support at the Wembley fixture last May.

You make it sound like our support is the problem here, one thinks the onus will be on the away support in this fixture to not disgrace themselves (again).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    lol, did you see the Irish performance against England last summer? :confused:

Players were up for it in the first half but it's hard to keep the enthusiasm going when so many substitutions are made in these Micky-Mouse friendlies. International friendlies are a bore anyway. Even if we beat England there wouldn't be a great deal made of it compared to what there would be if it was competitive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

TINA1984 wrote: »
    Oh come off it! The Scots and the Welsh boo GSTQ when they play England, yet I don't see the outrage from certain quarters when that happens.

That's the Scots and Welsh. Nothing to do with the Irish.
    TINA1984 wrote: »
    FYI the UK anthem was well respected by the sizeable away support at the Wembley fixture last May.

Because the English fans respected the Irish anthem which as the away anthem was played before the home one. The onus is on the Irish fans this time round to be mature enough to respect GSTQ, just like the English fans respected ANF. As I said, I don't believe that sections of the Irish support are mature enough to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

COYW wrote: »
    Because the English fans respected the Irish anthem which as the away anthem was played before the home one. The onus is on the Irish fans this time round to be mature enough to respect GSTQ, just like the English fans respected ANF. As I said, I don't believe that sections of the Irish support are mature enough to do this.

Don't forget prior to the Wembley game the English fans were asked by Hodgson and the FA not to sing songs like 'No Surrender'. There were considerable efforts made to prevent any nonsense. If a similar strategy is applied here with the likes of O'Neill and Keane asking people to behave prior to the match then I wouldn't expect there to be any major issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

**** them, Stevie G's getting a smack of a potato

• Advertisement
Advertisement