Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick and Easy XP resolution

Options
  • 08-04-2014 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Back in the day, when I'd a lot more time than I do now, I took on the responsibility of setting up a few XP machines for technophobe friends and family. There's now at least 4 machines that are going to be affected by the cessation of XP support and given the non technical abilities of the users, I think I might be getting called on to help again. I think all machines had automatic updates switched off anyway so I'm not sure if anything is going to change security wise? Is it just hype or is there a REAL risk once support stops?

The specs of the BEST of these computers I set up are as follows:

Vostro 1000 LCD, WXGA 15.4" 1
    Memory Dual-Channel 1024MB (2x512) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM 1
    Hard Drive 80GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) 1
    ATI Radeon® Xpress 1150 HyperMemory¿ (integrated) 1

Which from what I know, won't run w7 well at all, never mind the other machines that are even worse.

I really don't have the time for sorting out all these computers within the next month or whenever the machines will be vulnerable by. XP was a pretty flawless OS even if it's a bit dated now, if there's virtually no risk of any security compromises by simply having an up to date anti virus, I'd rather just stick with it. If there's a definite risk, I guess updating is the only option. Some of these computers are used for online banking and even business use along with purchasing things online with credit cards etc.

Is it even worth continuing to use these machines or should the owners just bite the bullet and buy new laptops altogether?

Also to note, I'm not very technical myself. I know a bit but even the likes of ubuntu/linux scares me off so I wouldn't want to go this route.

If anyone can please share some advice on what I should do, I'd really appreciate it.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What is the processor in these do you know? That would be fairly important as well :) . Linux should suit fine for most users

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Ah see, that's how technical I am leaving out that :D

Is this it? V1000 Sempron 3600+ (2.0GHz/256KB)

Again, that's the best of the few laptops I installed it on, so if that will struggle with W7, the rest definitely will. I think I'd sooner suggest buying a new laptop than using linux for these people given their tech level which is a lot worse than mine :)

cormie wrote: »

Again, that's the best of the few laptops I installed it on, so if that will struggle with W7, the rest definitely will. I think I'd sooner suggest buying a new laptop than using linux for these people given their tech level which is a lot worse than mine :)

Semprons = AMDs Celerons :( . Not good unfortunately.. Should run Linux a light Linux distro such as Lubuntu or Linux Mint fine.
    These would run Windows 7 and probably 8/8.1, although performance may not be the best. :(

Nick

Thanks as always yoyo! I'd prefer not to go the Linux route, not that I've anything against it, I'd just rather stick to a similar OS such as w7, it just means the users won't have to relearn everything and be calling me up with questions on how to do this and that when I wouldn't have a clue myself. At least I use w7 myself so if there was any questions, I'd probably know.

I know with W7 (and with XP), you can tone it down a little in terms of not displaying window contents while dragging and all the other little bits, I'm just wondering would it be at a complete snail pace on such machines or would it still be usable? If it's going to result in sever slow down, maybe it's just time to upgrade the laptops themselves..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/system-requirements

get windows 7 32bit,
    no point using 64bit os ,on pc with less than 4gig ram.
    in my experience linux 32bit runs like 3x faster than windows 7, on older pcs with 1gig ram.
    no antivirus is needed to run on linux,

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, w7 is probably the best OS to go with based on the users in this case I think.

Any idea if there's any discounts for those affected by the XP thing? If it's going to end up costing a bomb to simply get w7, it might be a better idea just to get a new laptop again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

winxp is still going to work fine for years, just not going to get updates, and considering how many people have updates turned off anyway

That's what I was thinking, I had automatic updates turned off on all machines (again, not to scare the users by something happening that they didn't action). So will it in effect be just as always, or is there going to be some new vulnerability that wasn't there before? If it's going to be just the same as before, then it might be ok just to let them keep using it as is for another few years?

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/OS-Enhancements/Windows-7.shtml

demo version here ,if you want to try it,see how it runs .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Also to note, I'm not very technical myself. I know a bit but even the likes of ubuntu/linux scares me off so I wouldn't want to go this route.

Ok, here's how hard it is. Have blank USB key at the ready - probably needs to be 2GB or more capacity. Go to pendrivelinux.com - download their windows installer program. Run it. Select whatever distro you want to try/run and follow the prompts (i think there's about 3 things which are asked for - drive letter, format usb key y/n, and so forth). Allow it to do its thing.

This should give you a live boot USB with whatever distro you have chosen. Put it in the target laptop, ensure it is set to boot from usb or interupt the boot process and tell it to boot from the usb - Usually a F12, F8 keypress or something like that.

You should now have a working linux distribution off the USB. Check if everything is working -- it should be, but just be sure you can connect to your network for internet, an dso forth.

Remember, you haven't actually done anything to your laptop as yet so if it doesn't work for you or you don't like what you see, then just shut down, remove the usb, and boot again back into Windows xp.

As for the distro, everyone has their own favourite. Probably something like Lubuntu would be good for aging laptops, but there are other options available. You can try as many as you have time for.

When you are happy all is good and if you want to proceed, just make sure that there is nothing within your current xp installation that you want to keep (photos, documents, etc.) or if there is back them up somewhere, then click the install option.

Installing linux /lubuntu these days is very simple. The only thing to watch for is when asked by the installer, tell it you want to wipe xp out of existance and clean install ubuntu. After you click next there is no going back. xp will be gone and lubuntu will begin to install. Everything else is self explanatory - things like, what region are you in, what keyboard do you want to use.....

Anyway, the point of my post is to dispell any myth that there is anything technically difficult about installing linux to your machines. Whether it is right for you or not is another question altogether. That said, I have upgraded Windows Vista to Linux Mint for a couple of pensioners and it hasn't been a problem for them. It's in daily use. Your family members would just need to accept that things will look a little different, but they will 'fall' into using it.

Good luck with it anyway.

In terms of the risk. To use a current example - two/three days ago, a thing called OpenSSL which runs on a large portion of web servers was fine. A day/two ago a vulnerability was discovered/released and a very major one. It effects systems running secure submission of data. Thinking the worst - banking, online shopping, and the annoying stuff like the social networks etc... (all which should now be patched by the way). Basically, overnight every system running it was now vulnerable and needs patching. A patch was released in the last 24/48 hours. Your xp laptops are fine as of Tuesday. You are really waiting for vulnerability to be discovered. Until then you are ok-ish. Personally, I have one system remaining on xp. It will be replaced within the next week with lubuntu or maybe mint referred to above. But its up to you to see how risk averse or otherwise you need to be. My advice would be to swop to something. If having done the live usb install above and don't like it, then upgrade to Windows 7 or 8 if you really fancy a change of mind on how technology operates. lubuntu actually is closer to xp imho than if you were to go to Windows 8 but each to their own.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

It makes more sense to me to go to Win8 rather that Win7 as Win8 support will laster longer than Win7. So a few more years down the line you could be in a similar position. My 2c's.

Skatedude wrote: »
    winxp is still going to work fine for years, just not going to get updates, and considering how many people have updates turned off anyway

Please do not provide dangerous information like this. When a OS is no longer supported attack chances are considerably higher, plus attackers know that all users will be vulnerable. This is a different scenario compared to the some users don't install updates but the majority do argument.
    It makes targeting the OS considerably easier when exploits start being discovered knowing all users will be running the same software

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

You don't really need to install a new operating system. Just don't use Internet explorer! Download google chrome or Firefox as they will continue updates for Windows XP. Make sure there is a decent free antivirus/anti-malware and disable Flash and Java. Don't install new applications really like Office 2010 or others.

Windows XP won't be easy to hack. How long have Windows been releasing updates for it?

I WOULD not use a xp,for banking, online shopping, credit card use.
    I would not use it to email any private financial info, or say apply for a loan, mortgage ,online, anything that means i have to put in a my bank account ,info,credit card info.
    IN a few weeks time , we,ll probably here about win xp pcs being hacked into,
    used as botnets ,or to launch ddos attacks .

FOR a LINUX new user, its easy. download a linux iso image file,
    use imgburn free program,
    BURN image iso file to cdr or dvd/r disck.
    PUT IN cd drive, but from cd/dvd ,
    wait 5 minutes ,depends on age, pc cpu type.
    linux loads into ram,
    click on the simple prompts,
    eg keyboard , uk,ireland,
    make up a password ,

IT TAKES maybe 15 minutes to install linux mint on an average pc.Laptop.

A usb drive device is not needed to install linux.

MINT LINUX is designed to look similar to windows 7 ,
    eg new user ,non expert friendly.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
    http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=145

get 32bit version for older pcs.

THIS is an older version fits on a cdr

http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=67

if i had to use xp, I,D use iron browser, in incognito mode,
    switch off java .
    http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php

more secure, private than other browsers.

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone, very helpful! The linux install doesn't seem so hard now it's been explained actually, I'm just worried about the day to day use of it, if any of these users have any questions, I won't be able to answer them without coming to boards or googling for ages whereas I know w7 because I use it myself and could probably resolve any issues over the phone.

I'm guessing windows 8 is more resource hungry than 7? Also, I'd prefer as similar to XP a set up as possible so I guess 7 is the best to go for, if not lubuntu?

Thanks a lot for the feedback everyone, very helpful! The linux install doesn't seem so hard now it's been explained actually, I'm just worried about the day to day use of it, if any of these users have any questions, I won't be able to answer them without coming to boards or googling for ages whereas I know w7 because I use it myself and could probably resolve any issues over the phone.

I'm guessing windows 8 is more resource hungry than 7? Also, I'd prefer as similar to XP a set up as possible so I guess 7 is the best to go for, if not lubuntu?

Linux is fine. Most Ubuntu based distros work very well out of the box, very little tweaking required for most users.
    Windows 8 would actually be a better performer than 7. Starts and shuts down much quicker and is very zippy during use on older hardware. There are addons for Windows 8 to add the classic start menu back if necessary..

Nick

http://www.wikihow.com/Install-Linux-Mint
    new user guide

see my links, for a version that fits on a cdr.

UBUNTU is good, i find mint easier to use ,since menus, are laid out like windows 7.
    back up pc data music,photos, to usb drive,
    if YOU are going to use the whole pc drive,as1 linux partition.

LATEST VERSION of mint, 16 needs a dvd r disc.

INSTALL process says put in password, example , usera777 ,
    WHEN you boot pc, or install an app it asks for your password ,
    write it down .
    choose uk/ireland for location, keyboard layout.

if i had pc with cpu 2.0ghz 1gig ram ,i,d choose mint version 7.

you may need to go to bios menu,
    set 1st boot device=cd/dvd drive,
    OLDER PC, first time cd boot os into memory may take 5 -10minutes depending on ram, pc cpu speed.

http://zorin-os.com/

http://zorin-os.com/free6.html

get the 32bit version,

look changer utility makes it look like win7 or windows xp.
    it needs a dvdr to burn the iso,
    burn iso image at2x or 4x speed.

mint 7 would likely be better for older pcs with 512 to 1gig ram

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Have been following this post so will give you my experience.

Like a lot of people we have a couple of pc's running XP so have decided to look into alternatives. One of them will be replaced but decided to run Lubuntu on the other, an ageing Icon PC with Sempron 2k processor and 512mb RAM (powerful stuff) as I figured this would be a light enough distro.

I am no PC expert, never tried linux before, but do enjoy a good dabble with things.

I downloaded and burnt the .iso to a disc which I then put in the PC and made sure that boot from CD was selected - (this can be done by entering the bios settings when first turning on PC, in my case hitting the delete button) When the CD booted up it asks would you like to try Lubuntu or install it and I selected install - (chose the option to install it along with keeping win xp) followed the prompts and set up instructions and viola it was installed. No great mystery or magic involved, everything works and it connected to the network straight off. On install it will ask if you would like to run updates etc. as it installs which I chose not to do, I updated everything when I first logged in. (easy to do)

This PC is used mostly for email, browsing and and some office work and this is what I have found with using microsoft alternatives. For email Lubuntu comes with an email client called Sylpheed (never heard of it) which I set up using our pop server settings and, no great surprise, it sends and receives emails (Thunderbird can be installed as an alternative). It comes with Firefox installed so that is the browsing sorted. For the word, excel side of things I decided to install the FREE Libreoffice, which maybe lacks some of the finer things of MS Office but is certainly impressive. Can open and save most ms office formats which is probably what most people want.

The look and feel of Lubuntu is not that far removed from windows and certainly does not take long to familiarise yourself with, a few tweaks to the appearance and it is looking pretty nice. Considering the specs of the PC it is on it zips along nicely and software can be installed easily enough through the Lubuntu Software Centre.

So I will have to say it has been so far so good. No doubt there may be some questions that may arise and that it were great people like those on boards come in and are always willing to help out plus win xp is still on the machine should I need it.:)

LIKE any device click on your network icon, in wifi ,it,ll say password , put in your password , if linux is installed it,ll remember the password.
    YOU can choose to run os,from cd,
    for a while if you just wanna see how fast it runs, and use the webrowser, firefox, to aces the web

before you install it on the pc,
    by clicking install linux ,mint icon.

Thanks again everyone, very helpful. What about compatibility issues? The machine that's used for business uses some ancient software for book keeping etc so it can't have any issues with this. Is anything that's windows compatible, linux compatible?

• Advertisement

http://wiki.winehq.org/

Wine enables Linux, Mac, FreeBSD, and Solaris users to run Windows applications without a copy of Microsoft Windows. Wine is free software

SOME VERSIONS of linux have wine app, as part of the install cd,
    preinstalled with the linux os.

Libreoffice is a free download for linux,
    reads ms files ,word,office files ,
    i think it can edit word,office files and save in ms office, or word format.

MAYBE simple thing is holdon 1 pc use it for bookkeeping program,
    if its xp pc, dont connect it to the web,
    PUT FILES on it thru usb drive, or cdr disk.
    Whats this program called, it maybe possible to run it using wine.

http://www.linuxlinks.com/Software/Financial/Accounting/

The latest version of mint linux has libreoffice in the iso image file ,2gig file approx,
    IE libreoffice is installed as an app in the os install process.
    there might be a linux version of that accounting program.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thanks again everyone, very helpful. What about compatibility issues? The machine that's used for business uses some ancient software for book keeping etc so it can't have any issues with this. Is anything that's windows compatible, linux compatible?

Depends on the format of what you are using. As riclad said, you can use Wine. If you are using something like Microsoft Works for bookkeeping, I've found that Apache Openoffice opens Works files quite well. It runs natively in Linux and you can open and save Works files (spreadsheets definitely, not tried word processing documents).

Thanks again for the replies, I think that rules out linux so, I don't want these users having to change everything they are used to and relearning everything, I think w7 is probably the best choice given the circumstances?

IF I WAS running a pc for business, i,d just buy a windows 7 laptop.
    YOU can get tax credit s for buying pcs, or software , used for business purposes.

MOST people i know use a pc , for music , webrowsing, facebook, email,

once mint is installed , its similar to using windows xp,

click menu, ,software centre ,click ,internet, games, apps,
    very easy to install software.

WINDOWS , needs constant updates to stay secure ,plus antivirus updates.

linux is faster than windows and more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Thanks again for the replies, I think that rules out linux so, I don't want these users having to change everything they are used to and relearning everything, I think w7 is probably the best choice given the circumstances?

If you want a Windows machine, I would honestly have no qualms about going for Windows 8. The 8.1 update has really refined it, and if you want a classic start menu like 7 or XP, you can just install Classic Shell, a free addon. Its a much faster and more responsive OS than 7 in pretty much every way.

whatever OS you get ,
    get the 32bit version ,if pcs have less than 3gigabyte ram.

Thanks again folks, I haven't a clue about windows 8, is it not meant more for mobile and touch screens I thought? If it can mimic the xp/7 style with the start menu, windows etc I might try it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Thanks again folks, I haven't a clue about windows 8, is it not meant more for mobile and touch screens I thought? If it can mimic the xp/7 style with the start menu, windows etc I might try it?

Classic shell will turn it back to look like windows 7, but...

For me Windows 8 works better on older hardware than Windows 7. Prefer it tbh..

But....

The first problem you might have is drivers. I have found on very old machines and ATI cards I couldn't get decent drivers in W8, but could in W7

But...

The real issue, is these machines are slow. No matter what OS you are running Linux, W8, XP, doesn't matter. Modern websites need a decent CPU. Unless they are doing very basic stuff with them, they are going to be too slow for mainstream web use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

No, it is not. You should be OK with wine (see posts above), but it's a hit & miss situation.

• Advertisement

MAYBE post here the pcs you have here, eg dell 520, what ram, and what cpu, and grahics card they use.

Advertisement