Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted items from USB-key

Options
  • 08-04-2014 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

Okay, May be obvious but just looking for re-assurance.

I deleted items from a USB key that I no longer need. I assume that's them completely deleted now and no longer to be restored.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Not deleted as in "can never be found again". If there was anything confidential or private there, fill the disk up with something and delete that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Not deleted as in "can never be found again". If there was anything confidential or private there, fill the disk up with something and delete that.

Wow! Thanks for that. Every day is a school day,

Cheers,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭T-Bird

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Wow! Thanks for that. Every day is a school day,

Cheers,
    kerry4sam

still no guarantee that data has been wiped I'm afraid. Even if index (fat) has been wiped, files can still be retrieved if you know how. A full format (not quick) should do trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Even formatting isn't necessarily going to ensure that the contents are unrecoverable. If you’re really paranoid you’d physically destroy the usb key – they’re cheap enough to replace.
    If you still want to use the usb key try something like DBAN to wipe the key and then reformat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Gyck wrote: »
    Even formatting isn't necessarily going to ensure that the contents are unrecoverable. If you’re really paranoid you’d physically destroy the usb key – they’re cheap enough to replace.
    If you still want to use the usb key try something like DBAN to wipe the key and then reformat.

Yeah would agree with this to be honest. I was working on the assumption that a full format zeroed out the entire disc as it takes so long to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Advertisement