Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Harvest Work England

• 08-04-2014 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Just wondering does anyone know of any companies that are recruiting for 2014 harvest in england?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

4extrahands.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭GRASSorMUCK

Hi i now a few places you can try,
    How long do you want to do, usually July til Sept Oct could try likes of PJ Lee/Highflyer farms have lots of guys until December at spuds maize cereals etc
    Just trailer carrt or cultivations?
    Much experience ?
    Wouldn't recommend likes of Velcourt etc, then again depends more on the boss some guys are excellent will give you lots of opportunity to gain experience some just want you to hold a broom or haul grain regardless of size.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MarkMcG19

Cheers thanks for the reply.
    Preferably may to September because of college. Have a good bit of experience, worked at skegg's straw last year from July to September, but want something that is a longer contract, ie may til September.
    When I was at skeggs the main jobs were carting straw and raking straw and teleporter duties. Did a good bit of diesel runs for the tractors using a bowser and work van/jeep.
    Came back and got work with a local agri contractor spreading lime and baling/ raking and spreading slurry but the work dried up around November and there has been nothing since. I live on a suckler farm so I have lots of hands on experience with machinery and animals.
    I have good references and have lots of experiennce driving John deere's, new hollands and valtras, masseys etc. any help would be great thanks!

MarkMcG19 wrote: »
    Cheers thanks for the reply.
    Preferably may to September because of college. Have a good bit of experience, worked at skegg's straw last year from July to September, but want something that is a longer contract, ie may til September.
    When I was at skeggs the main jobs were carting straw and raking straw and teleporter duties. Did a good bit of diesel runs for the tractors using a bowser and work van/jeep.
    Came back and got work with a local agri contractor spreading lime and baling/ raking and spreading slurry but the work dried up around November and there has been nothing since. I live on a suckler farm so I have lots of hands on experience with machinery and animals.
    I have good references and have lots of experiennce driving John deere's, new hollands and valtras, masseys etc. any help would be great thanks!
    Being honest your best bet is agri contractors then for grass season in next few weeks starting in South, NT Clarkson in Sussex?iirc Wilsons contracts in cheshire/Lancashire that take on a good few,
    Phil Benson near Oxford
    Oj neil in Norfolk/Cambs
    Scott and Scott are a big company
    FGS farm services

Most arable farms are only buisy now til - end may then mid july on...
    Spud farms are plantng now but should have their crews sorted, you never know though! Even just ring them and ask do they know of any one else to try/looking for guys.
    Try ring Skeggs for a few no's localy as some really big muck spreading outfits near him, doing maize for AD plants and grass slage.
    Sorry can't help too much more so arable farmer that i know and they usually have their regulars.
    Will pm more guys later this evening, enough sciving off work for one day!.

Yeah I'll try all the above and see what the story is, sick of waiting and want to get back to grass or straw or both!
    I forgot to say I have a national insurance number and uk bank account which I imagine would help.
    Let me know if you have anymore!
    Cheers thanks a million for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭leoch

wat part of the country u in mark and wat was ur experience like over there before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

What kinda money is paid over there for harvest work and can you claim your tax back when you come home again , or am I just imagining that bit ?

moy83 wrote: »
    What kinda money is paid over there for harvest work and can you claim your tax back when you come home again , or am I just imagining that bit ?

Am depends really usualy grade1 about 7.50 basic then time+1/2 after 40hrs p/w
    up ward depends on experience etc.
    Then acomodaton can be dodgy caravan charged/fend for yourself right round to cooked meals/clothes washed/free house setups. Never underestimate value of a cooked meal ready when you come in or brought to the field!
    Can earn about 6.5k tax free iirc though i believe that changed recently to abit higher? and tax refunded in April ye.
    At our place we've 3 welsh lads 2 in Harper June-End Sept one in NZ/here from march-Oct in a free farm house at 10/hr flat rate. Though they've been here a few years and would drive most the kit at this stage so makes it very flexible so well worth the money. We tend not do crazy hours like some about like to have a willy waving contest about, tired staff do stupid things and have 'accidents'.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭yes14

How much would u make at the harvest.july to sept?

yes14 wrote: »
    How much would u make at the harvest.july to sept?

All in 7.5k-10k+ depends on pay/hours from start july-End sept but you will spend a good 2-2.5k+ between everything with your tax added on in April/May time included.Pound. Kind of treat it a giving up a few weeks to work like #### to have a few quid for college etc..

• Advertisement

All in 7.5k-10k+ depends on pay/hours from start july-End sept but you will spend a good 2-2.5k+ between everything with your tax added on in April/May time included.Pound. Kind of treat it a giving up a few weeks to work like #### to have a few quid for college etc..

Thats not bad money

My experience was good, people are nice in essex in general, lived in a caravan as previously mentioned, was pretty basic if I'm honest.
    Had a bed, a shower, sink and a little storage compartment for your clothes. Doesn't really matter though because when your busy you'll not spend much time there unless for sleeping. I was there for a month and a half and I made over 4000k. I was a bit timid at first going over but I'd have no problem going over now as what I get payed here the work I do/cover is a joke. Hope this helps!

MarkMcG19 wrote: »
    My experience was good, people are nice in essex in general, lived in a caravan as previously mentioned, was pretty basic if I'm honest.
    Had a bed, a shower, sink and a little storage compartment for your clothes. Doesn't really matter though because when your busy you'll not spend much time there unless for sleeping. I was
    there for a month and a half and I made over 4000k. I was a bit timid at first going over but I'd have no problem going over now as what I get payed here the work I do/cover is a joke. Hope this helps!

Think i mite give this ago.sounds good

If a lad rang how much an hour would u be looing for?
    For carting grain and bailing?

Grain cart bout £8 basic time+1/2 over time if your competent and not expected to have any 'issues'.
    Baling would think headed twoards 10 but depends on experience, i know some give flat rate of eg 5 then say 25p per bale type jobs but not 100% sure exact monies but for reference big balers need to knock out atleast 500 a day 10k season to make them pay. But it's a feast or a famine, don't expect much wet days work with a straw crew as farmers dislike you making a mess shifting straw in wet generaly.
    Combine/ cultivating jobs wouldn't even consider under 10 more so 12 hr.

Get wages and accomodation sorted out before you commit to anything, make sure they'll have wet day jobs etc as have heard of guys been dumped in caravans until combine starts rolling only. You'll generaly be on a hire tractor so should be fairly fresh but remember guys with fancy latest kit ain't always the best to work for and have found in general farmers are pound rich penny tight over here and would begrudge buying consumables like dairy wipes etc to keep clean etc so might need some stuff like hand wipes and that... Have fun cleaning grain stores :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tmboy95

4xtrahands is great website for advertising them jobs. Was mad to go over and do it myself had all my research done and i was in contact with one or two fellas but time wise it didn't suit as I had to be back in September for college, have work with a fella here now thought thank god.

tmboy95 wrote: »
    4xtrahands is great website for advertising them jobs. Was mad to go over and do it myself had all my research done and i was in contact with one or two fellas but time wise it didn't suit as I had to be back in September for college, have work with a fella here now thought thank god.

Yea im on that site.havnt heard anything yet

anybody know amyone looking for drivers?

Advertisement