Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mixing early and late lambs

• 08-04-2014 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭

Hello,

As some of you may know - I had a few early lambs the start of the year. They are doing ok.
    They have access to creep, but they havent had super grass most of the spring, and to be honest - its showing... :(

I only have a few, and its a bit of a pain trying to manage two separate groups...
    So I am debating weaning em in a few weeks, and putting em in with the young lambs (born over the last month)
    As I only have one creep feeder, I was thinking it wouldn't do the young lambs any harm to get a bit of creep for a few weeks...

What are peoples thoughts on this?

There's something in the back of my head that its a very bad idea, from a worm perspective? But I cant say why exactly :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 397 ✭✭AnFeirmeoir

Coccidiosis is caused by a small parasite called
    Eimeria
    which is not visible to the
    naked eye. While there are many different species of coccidia, only two are
    considered pathogenic, namely Eimeria Ovinoidalis and Eimeria Crandalis. It is not
    actually a roundworm. All sheep carry a small number of coccidia. Lambs become
    infected orally from faecal contamination of bedding, water troughs or feed troughs.
    The principal source of infection for young lambs is lambs born earlier in the season
    that contaminate the environment (bedding/ drinkers/ feeders, areas where they
    congregate) with a large number of oocysts (coccidial eggs).
    Very young lambs,
    younger than two weeks old, are not affected due to the immune protection received
    via the colostrum. The greatest risk period for lambs is between 3 and 8 weeks of age,
    with clinical symptoms most apparent from 6 -8 weeks of age. Once exposed lambs
    develop quite a solid resistence to coccidia and lambs over ten weeks tend to be
    resistant.

Symptoms:
    A severe scour which may contain blood or is black in colour is common. Affected
    lambs will strain and if untreated mortality can be high. Lambs that are badly affected
    but subsequently survive will have irreversible damage done to their digestive tract
    and will be ‘poor doers’. Stress, poor nutrition and simultaneous infection with
    Nematodirus
    can increase the severity of infection.
    Prevention:
    Coccidiosis is best prevented by keeping the level of challenge low. The parasite
    needs water to hatch in to the infected stages. Therefore avoiding overcrowding
    (indoors) and maintaining clean and dry bedding is useful in reducing exposure.
    Avoid faecal contamination of feed area and drinking troughs and keep these at a
    raised level. These should be moved frequently to a clean area during the risk period
    of 3-10 weeks. Young lambs should be kept in groups within a two week age range.
    They should not be mixed with older lambs until they are at least 8 weeks old and not
    graze pasture where older lambs have been.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Coccidiosis is caused by a small parasite called
    Eimeria
    which is not visible to the
    naked eye. While there are many different species of coccidia, only two are
    considered pathogenic, namely Eimeria Ovinoidalis and Eimeria Crandalis. It is not
    actually a roundworm. All sheep carry a small number of coccidia. Lambs become
    infected orally from faecal contamination of bedding, water troughs or feed troughs.
    The principal source of infection for young lambs is lambs born earlier in the season
    that contaminate the environment (bedding/ drinkers/ feeders, areas where they
    congregate) with a large number of oocysts (coccidial eggs).
    Very young lambs,
    younger than two weeks old, are not affected due to the immune protection received
    via the colostrum. The greatest risk period for lambs is between 3 and 8 weeks of age,
    with clinical symptoms most apparent from 6 -8 weeks of age. Once exposed lambs
    develop quite a solid resistence to coccidia and lambs over ten weeks tend to be
    resistant.

Symptoms:
    A severe scour which may contain blood or is black in colour is common. Affected
    lambs will strain and if untreated mortality can be high. Lambs that are badly affected
    but subsequently survive will have irreversible damage done to their digestive tract
    and will be ‘poor doers’. Stress, poor nutrition and simultaneous infection with
    Nematodirus
    can increase the severity of infection.
    Prevention:
    Coccidiosis is best prevented by keeping the level of challenge low. The parasite
    needs water to hatch in to the infected stages. Therefore avoiding overcrowding
    (indoors) and maintaining clean and dry bedding is useful in reducing exposure.
    Avoid faecal contamination of feed area and drinking troughs and keep these at a
    raised level. These should be moved frequently to a clean area during the risk period
    of 3-10 weeks. Young lambs should be kept in groups within a two week age range.
    They should not be mixed with older lambs until they are at least 8 weeks old and not
    graze pasture where older lambs have been.

Aha - that article now is sounding familiar all right - thanks for that.

Altho - I would be in trouble anyways, where it states "and not
    graze pasture where older lambs have been" - as my lambs will be grazing some paddocks where the earlier lambs have been. But I would work to minimise this...

Advertisement