Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oslo anyone??

• 08-04-2014 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Hi folks.....anyone been?? Cheap enough flights at the moment....have a chance to take a few days. Is it woefully expensive?? Can anyone recommend hotels, etc...?? Cheers x

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭grimm2005

I've been tempted a few times in the past as it's always incredibly cheap to fly to with Ryanair but anytime I look up the city or see threads here, I'm completely put off because the general consensus is that it's one of, if not the most expensive city in the world. You'd be looking at around €10 for a pint for example and a combo meal in McDonalds would be over a tenner. A weekend in Oslo will apparently empty your wallet so just something to think about.

You might be better off paying more to fly to somewhere in eastern Europe for example where your accommodation, food/drink and attractions would be nothing compared to Oslo (or Dublin for that matter).

I'm a big fan of Oslo, it's a lovely city. But yes it is quite expensive. We had breakfast included at our hotel and we just stuffed our faces so we didn't need lunch! There are some reasonable places to eat out if you look around.

We went to Aker Brygge in the evenings, it's a nice place to walk around and there are lots of restaurants and bars. You can also get boats from there to see the Oslo fjord (no need to do the tourist ones, we just got a commuter one).

The sculpture park Vigelandsparken is well worth a visit. We brought food with us and had a BBQ there and just lounged around in the sun (it was late June and we got gorgeous weather).

The Holmenkollen ski jump is good too, mainly for the views you get over the city.

I would definitely recommend it. You don't have to spend a fortune, but at the same time it's not a place you can do on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Thanks folks - it is the price that's scaring the life out of me to be honest. The hotels seem reasonable enough though x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Thanks folks - it is the price that's scaring the life out of me to be honest. The hotels seem reasonable enough though x

Its a beautiful place, friend and I challenged ourselves by going over with 100e, we stayed at a friends, ate packed lunches and bought the Oslo city pass and I think I came back with 30e! You could always try couch surfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Chipperf

I really disliked Oslo, can't think of anywhere I disliked more. Cost is certainly a factor, people are pretty unpleasant for the most part, and compared with most sizeable european cities, theres not that much to see and do. The food was crap and although some parts of the city are aesthetically decent it's got more than it's share of ugly areas also. Would never reommend visiting Oslo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Chipperf wrote: »
    I really disliked Oslo, can't think of anywhere I disliked more. Cost is certainly a factor, people are pretty unpleasant for the most part, and compared with most sizeable european cities, theres not that much to see and do. The food was crap and although some parts of the city are aesthetically decent it's got more than it's share of ugly areas also. Would never reommend visiting Oslo...

People were surprisingly pleasant and accommodating on our trip, although we'd heard that they were a bit stand offish before going. Wasn't the case with us at all pretty much the opposite!

Advertisement