Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Doing your test on a loud bike

• 08-04-2014 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have my driving test coming up in May. I'm a little concerned that my bike (Harley Dyna with Vance and Hines pipes (Very loud)) may in some way prejudice the examiner against me, especially if he is in a car i.e. not a biker?

Any thoughts or experiences in this area welcomed. I will be taking the test in Navan.

JJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

If it is too loud for public use then it is too loud. If you have to ask the question then you probably already know the answer. Can you rent/borrow an instructors bike for the test instead? I'm not against loud pipes, I just think they have their place and your driving test, arriving at a maternity hospital or following a hearse aren't the place.

'c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

My SV is pretty damn loud and backfires a lot!
    I had no issue doing my test on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Did my test on a Bandit which had a Scorpion can. Was loud enough but had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Hi,

I have my driving test coming up in May. I'm a little concerned that my bike (Harley Dyna with Vance and Hines pipes (Very loud)) may in some way prejudice the examiner against me, especially if he is in a car i.e. not a biker?

Any thoughts or experiences in this area welcomed. I will be taking the test in Navan.

JJ

IIRC once it's below 100db then it's road legal, do the testers check for the not road legal stamp? You can download a db meter for a phone and it'll give you an idea if it's too noisy, Google how they do the test. If your close I'd find some baffles or a different bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Thanks for the advice. Will try to measure the noise, but I will most likely hire a bike for the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. Will try to measure the noise, but I will most likely hire a bike for the test.

If the pipes are stamped road legal then they should be fine, if they don't, don't turn up to the test with it.

Advertisement