Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a cycle lane going in?

Options
  • 08-04-2014 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Going in since this morning

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

wouldn't have thought the road was wide enough to accommodate a cycle lane there. More UPC roadworks maybe (its right beside where their previous works ended)?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Those bollards look permanent they have being bolted to the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Would have thought there isn't sufficient space there for a cycle lane

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭thejaguar

Probably just safety measures - the bollards look permanent. I've seen them put in a few places recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

darsar wrote: »

I don't know but I am irate anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Ah here, just cycled by them!! Eye sores at best.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

What a really odd place to position them. And for what reason?

Cannot resist urge to go look at them and ask questions...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

It should be obvious to you all...... Its to stop you parking on the yellow lines:eek::D

It's a bit early in the year for the council to going blowing their budget - I thought they always did the so-called road improvements in October? Or maybe the funds for GTC dries up this year before the local elections and changes in the municipal structure? If so, I want to see gold leaf bollards lads :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

astrofluff wrote: »

get the hide and binoculars out again AF - you're our man on the ground!

• Advertisement

Will have to borrow a 70-300mm lens from a fellow amateur photographer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Plastik

Had a look today as I was walking back from the dart. They certainly look like a permanent solution. I wonder if they are more for pedestrian safety than cyclists? There can be quite a lot of people stepping off the footpath there in the evenings on their way to the park and ride without looking behind for cyclists/vehicles.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

My first thought was to stop the pizza van getting in there (like boulders to caravans!) but then I remembered it's a car park!

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

It could be part of the proposed Greystones Cycle Route. The part 8 planning was on display last year. See link

http://issuu.com/jamesosullivan/docs/greystonescyclerouteproposal-partviii-publicconsul

Thanks for that link lakeroad - I fished through the info. The only work I can see locally is for the south beach promenade and the extent of the proposed work goes as far as the sea-side of the under bridge - it doesn't come onto Mill Road. the bollards could could be related to it though for safety reasons while doing the work, and if that's the case, they would likely be temporary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

What a really odd place to position them. And for what reason?

It's the council...there doesn't have to be a reason...(well a logical one anyhow)

A few more went in today so now they're on both sides of the ped crossing and are all the way to the entrance of the beach carpark, taking some of the current cycle lane with it. Still can't help but think that they're a ped safety thing, maybe in preparation for the summer months. Certainly there were none of the cyclists that you generally see in the cycling lanes using it this evening.

While doing one of my many trips through the village there was a line-painting contractor re-marking the zebra crossing. There is also a brand-new cycle lane symbol painted on the cycle track after the zebra crossing. The whole set-up looks very messy. I think a little more thought could have gone into it. Perhaps another 'build it first' by the council and watch what happens after to see how they wasted our money. The cycle lanes around by 'Teddy Bear' are an example of this.

While doing one of my many trips through the village there was a line-painting contractor re-marking the zebra crossing. There is also a brand-new cycle lane symbol painted on the cycle track after the zebra crossing. The whole set-up looks very messy. I think a little more thought could have gone into it. Perhaps another 'build it first' by the council and watch what happens after to see how they wasted our money. The cycle lanes around by 'Teddy Bear' are an example of this.

I think UPC may have been responsible for that as they also repainted a small stretch of of white line over the new tarmac just beyond the Script building.

Gráinne Mc Loughlin mentiond on Facebook that the bollards are temporary for a traffic survey.

Link

Glad to hear that they're not permanent. They look terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

What would the reason for a survey be? Is there a planned development or a new road surface going in?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Honestly!

darsar wrote: »

One of them bollards already driven over and obliterated. There is enough room to cycle but the state of the road there is shocking i.e. not fixed up after utility company.

They are ugly but temporary, thank God.

Not sure if this is part of the planned county cycling pathways or "cycling/jogging/dogwalking/buggypushing pathways" as the self-centered rules-don't-apply-to-us brigade would call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zoe zebra

Sorry for asking this if everyone else knows it but where/what is "teddy bear"?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Honestly! wrote: »
    One of them bollards already driven over and obliterated. There is enough room to cycle but the state of the road there is shocking i.e. not fixed up after utility company.

They are ugly but temporary, thank God.

Not sure if this is part of the planned county cycling pathways or "cycling/jogging/dogwalking/buggypushing pathways" as the self-centered rules-don't-apply-to-us brigade would call them.

Make that two....

Advertisement