Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official London Marathon Competition Thread!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

morceli wrote: »
    Looks to me that mo is starting to suffer.

back to the track for him

marathon was a big payday

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

If I hadn't got my Edna's and Lorna's mixed up, I'd be feeling smug.

Great debut by Dibaba too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

How's mo looking for the British record?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Finnt wrote: »

Touch and go next 5k split crucial to see how much he hurting but not looking likely

kipsang is a beast!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭morceli

Finnt wrote: »

On target so far but not sure what will happen over the next few miles

kipsang is a beast!

Yep savage

British record gone and if the wheels come off Thompson could get close to Mo to challenge for top Brit (small chance but Thompson running well and remains consistent)

mo still leading the british race

• Advertisement

coverage from BBC has been all over the place

a shambles

ecoli wrote: »
    British record gone and if the wheels come off Thompson could get close to Mo to challenge for top Brit (small chance but Thompson running well and remains consistent)
    Yep would love to see him beat just to annoy foster

morceli wrote: »
    Yep would love to see him beat just to annoy foster

mo going for the english record now

Since when does GB differentiate between GB records and "English records"? Next thing you know Mo will be challenging the Somalian born English Marathon record

mo going for the english record now
    I he misses that maybe a north west London or Somali record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

lol at Farah's debut….compare it to Bekele…..:D

• Advertisement

drquirky wrote: »
    lol at Farah's debut….compare it to Bekele…..:D

It shows what many have felt, Mo is a Championship racer who has benefited from the fact that the top emerging African talent are going to the marathon and not bothering with track running.

he thinks he should have gone with the lead group

hmm.. I doubt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

coverage from BBC has been all over the place

a shambles

'We have to leave Mo now as the leading men are approaching the finish.

Good job Kipsang. Now, back to Mo.'

he thinks he should have gone with the lead group

hmm.. I doubt it
    I think he should have gone with the leaders. Not much difference in pace for the first 20 and would have had some company when the pace increased and went off the back.

• Advertisement

Cycnic hat on been thinking about Geb's pace making duties given his vast marathon experience and I think I have a conspiracy theory in the making :D

- Geb publicly came out and said Kebede was the man to watch
    - Kebede wins last year after pacers go out to hard and blow the race for many
    - Geb goes out faster than last year in the hope that lightning can strike twice?

Also Dibaba's run has flown under the radar but had it not been for the bottle mishap and getting seperated from the leaders being in striking distance of them in last mile or two could well have challenged. Has to rank amongst one of the best debuts for a male or female at the distance ever

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Caprica

I wasn't very impressed with the BBC commentary, they were totally fixated on Mo and were ignoring everyone else. Starting of they were really bigging up Mo (as you would expect) but as the race progessed the tone changed. I thought Brendan Fosters commentary was very negative and disrepectful but even when Mo spoke you could see he was disappointed.

Before the race I would have thought the British record would have been a formality for Mo and was interested in seeing how he would compare with Bekeles run in Paris. It was funny how the Beeb then switched to him beating the English record. I didn't expect him to win but I would have expected much more than 2.08.

Dibaba had a very impressive debut and only for her dropping the bottle at the water station she could have been first across the line. I wonder what is up with Gelana? She hasn't ran well since London Olympics

a rude awakening for farah anyhow

not looking so good in comparison to bekele now

Caprica wrote: »
    Before the race I would have thought the British record would have been a formality for Mo and was interested in seeing how he would compare with Bekeles run in Paris. It was funny how the Beeb then switched to him beating the English record. I didn't expect him to win but I would have expected much more than 2.08.

Why though? Would you expect Kirani James to bust out a good 1500?

Farah is not show any characteristics to indicate an aptitude for Marathon. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I have to say that time was what I expected but the performance impressed me given that he ran alot of it on his own (pacers off ahead from about 20-30k), missing a fueling station

Despite what people think Farah is a 1500/5000 guys of the same mold as Lagat or El G that has simply capitalized on the fact that the fast time trial type 10k runners have been drawn to the marathon at an early age. This is why you have the sit and kickers like Mo and Jelian winning global titles.

I think that performance leads to optimism for Farah in the future with regards Marathon running but I think a good 1500 time doesn't correlate to Marathon ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

ecoli wrote: »
    Why though? Would you expect Kirani James to bust out a good 1500?

Farah is not show any characteristics to indicate an aptitude for Marathon. I wouldn't be his biggest fan but I have to say that time was what I expected but the performance impressed me given that he ran alot of it on his own (pacers off ahead from about 20-30k), missing a fueling station

Despite what people think Farah is a 1500/5000 guys of the same mold as Lagat or El G that has simply capitalized on the fact that the fast time trial type 10k runners have been drawn to the marathon at an early age. This is why you have the sit and kickers like Mo and Jelian winning global titles.

I think that performance leads to optimism for Farah in the future with regards Marathon running but I think a good 1500 time doesn't correlate to Marathon ability.

Having a less than expected performance like today could prove to be a motivator for him also like 2011 WC loss. A realality check and unfinished business will have him running sub 2:05 next time round. Its not like the money isn't there to make this happen. I hope this chapter isn't over ( no interest in Mo). But for the coverage that it gives the sport.

Leave Britney alone !!! The word hero being used ffs. He is just an athlete re Foster article in indepentant.co.UK dam phone can't past url

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

Letsrun look to be pointing the finger at Heile for killing off any chance of a new WR in the first 5k. A tasty pace to set off at for sure!
    Any chance of a 2:03 was basically killed when the first 5k was hit in 14:21 (first mile 4:36). That’s an absurd 2:01:06 pace. The world record is so finely tuned that people can’t afford to be off by that much. Haile Gebrselassie was supposed to get the field on 2:03:30 pace which is 14:38 per 5km.

7 Thoughts About The Men’s Race At The 2014 London Marathon

Advertisement