Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VDSL Direct From the Exchange

Options
  • 08-04-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

I have recently confirmed with an eircom engineer that my line does not pass through a cabinet and is connected directly to the exchange. Because of this I cannot get Efibre as all connections for VDSL must go through a cabinet. 
    Is there an expected solution to this problem - will users living in close proximity(500m) to the exchange be able to get Efibre any time soon ?
     I am lucky enough to have 20mb ADSL at the moment due to the proximity but would love to be able to avail of the higher download and upload speeds associated with VDSL

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Tweaky wrote: »
    I have recently confirmed with an eircom engineer that my line does not pass through a cabinet and is connected directly to the exchange. Because of this I cannot get Efibre as all connections for VDSL must go through a cabinet. 
    Is there an expected solution to this problem - will users living in close proximity(500m) to the exchange be able to get Efibre any time soon ?
     I am lucky enough to have 20mb ADSL at the moment due to the proximity but would love to be able to avail of the higher download and upload speeds associated with VDSL

Thanks.
    Hi Tweaky
    I was not actually aware of this. Could you PM me your line number and I will see which tech crew is in your area. They should be able to confirm or add to this.
    Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Thanks.
    Hi Tweaky
    I was not actually aware of this. Could you PM me your line number and I will see which tech crew is in your area. They should be able to confirm or add to this.
    Tony
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for coming back to me. PM sent.

Tweaky

Thanks Tweaky.

I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Tony

Thanks Tweaky.

Tony
    Hi Tony,
    Is there any update on this ?

Thanks.

Thanks Tweaky.

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks.
    Hi Tony,
    Any update ?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

^^^

I hope Eircom have a plan for this and they just haven't communicated or published it yet. If you look at the VDSL cabinet/exchange map there are 100s of exchanges planned to fibre enabled that would only have direct connections to all the customers. Most exchanges scheduled in the rollout would service a village, so they'd be cabinets installed in the village for the houses no doubt (how they'd manage the wiring mess of lines would be a challenge). But for everyone directly connected (but not in a village), they either need to ensure they can get enough rack space and power within the exchanges, or they'll have to be installing cabinets outside the exchange.... or more worryingly perhaps they would not bother to do either in some instances.... 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

They've definitely installed VDSL cabinets at tiny exchanges in Cork where the exchange itself was a couple of large cabinets serving a housing estate or a business park as well as some in rural spots.

VDSL is very distance dependent though. So, even in a tiny rural exchange you might need more than just one cabinet to provide useful coverage.

I guess there's no reason why they couldn't just add the same Huawei gear that's in a cabinet to a rack in an exchange building though. They're tiny little DSLAMs & wouldn't take up much space at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

SpaceTime wrote: »
    They've definitely installed VDSL cabinets at tiny exchanges in Cork where the exchange itself was a couple of large cabinets serving a housing estate or a business park as well as some in rural spots.
    Sounds promising. Our local exchange is actually quite a large building (at a guess 4m wide and maybe 7m deep). Not sure if that's a typical size of rural exchanges, but perhaps it has the ability to accommodate the new equipment required.

MBSnr wrote: »
    Sounds promising. Our local exchange is actually quite a large building (at a guess 4m wide and maybe 7m deep). Not sure if that's a typical size of rural exchanges, but perhaps it has the ability to accommodate the new equipment required.

The actual exchange equipment is most likely very compact. Most of those buildings were designed for old 1950s - 1970s crossbar exchanges that used electromechanical switches and relays to process calls. The small modern digital exchanges are generally just a few racks of cards in a cabinet.

Some of the original urban ones have enormous buildings relative to what's inside. A suburban crossbar exchange for maybe 10000 lines in a suburb of Cork would have been the size of a primary school. The digital replacements maybe took up 1/10th the space and kept shrinking as technology moved on through the 80s, 90s and 00s.

There's loads of space for fibre services and other data equipment, other companies' equipment etc etc

Just be thankful they didn't sell them all off to build apartments as I heard suggested by someone during the boom years!

In every country in Europe and North America, the exchange buildings are now proving to be really useful for all this fibre access gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks Tweaky.

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks.
    Hi Tony,
    Any update ?

Thanks.

Hi Tweaky

At this moment in time there are no plans to offer lines directly connected to the exchange efibre and efibre rollout is solely based on FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet). More plans will be made in the future however at this stage we cannot offer you any indication of when efibre will be available directly from the exchange.

Apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

Thanks
    Al

• Advertisement

In a lot of areas in Cork, there are cabinets within few meters of the exchange building. So, I think it could be a case that they might even retrofit cabinets at some stage in the future rather than putting the equipment directly into the exchange if they want to keep everything standardised.

As far as I am aware, ComReg would would have to approve a exchange-based VDSL product too, so it's not just as simple as buying the equipment and installing it. There's a lot of regulatory hoops to go through and other operators to consult and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Thetruthking

I live almost 50m from the exchange,, no eviber here yet but I don't like the sound of this :-(

SpaceTime wrote: »
    In a lot of areas in Cork, there are cabinets within few meters of the exchange building. So, I think it could be a case that they might even retrofit cabinets at some stage in the future rather than putting the equipment directly into the exchange if they want to keep everything standardised.

As far as I am aware, ComReg would would have to approve a exchange-based VDSL product too, so it's not just as simple as buying the equipment and installing it. There's a lot of regulatory hoops to go through and other operators to consult and stuff.
    Hi Spacetime,

Good call, that could be an option in the future and it does make a lot of sense but at this moment in time there are no plans available surrounding this.

Thanks for your input here :)

Al

Thanks Tweaky.

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks.
    Hi Tony,
    Any update ?

Thanks.

Hi Tweaky

At this moment in time there are no plans to offer lines directly connected to the exchange efibre and efibre rollout is solely based on FTTC (Fibre to the cabinet). More plans will be made in the future however at this stage we cannot offer you any indication of when efibre will be available directly from the exchange.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi,
    I have just noticed on the eircom wholesale website that there is now a cabinet planned to be placed in my local exchange to cater for customers who are currently connected directly to the exchange and not through a cabinet. The new cabinet is CHT1_E01 . Can you give me an idea of the timeframe that you expect this cabinet to be installed and on line ?

Thanks,
    Tweaky.

Thanks Tweaky.

Tony
    Hi Tony,

Thanks.
    Hi Tony,
    Any update ?

Thanks.

Hi Tweaky

Thanks
    Al
    Hi,
    I have just noticed on the eircom wholesale website that there is now a cabinet planned to be placed in my local exchange to cater for customers who are currently connected directly to the exchange and not through a cabinet. The new cabinet is CHT1_E01 . Can you give me an idea of the timeframe that you expect this cabinet to be installed and on line ?

Thanks,
    Tweaky.

Hi Tweaky

I've enquired and spoke to efibre planning in relation to this. I have been informed that plans are only at a wholesale level at this stage and there is yet to be an agreed activation date, while they cannot offer a date they have indicated that it may not be until 2015 before we have any further news or dates available.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 12 netfreak

We have this same issue, I live in Ballybofey & Stranorlar or the Twin Towns, I suppose we are rural enough i think 3.5 to 4K people, except our exchange is smack bang in the middle of town, The entire main town of Ballybofey cant avail of this, its ridiculous i think, could you tell me please where to find the whole sale website mentioned above?

Regards.

Update I have found the above mentioned site and notice that there is indeed a cabinet planned for beside the exchange (BOF1_E01), is there any update on this?

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

netfreak wrote: »
    We have this same issue, I live in Ballybofey & Stranorlar or the Twin Towns, I suppose we are rural enough i think 3.5 to 4K people, except our exchange is smack bang in the middle of town, The entire main town of Ballybofey cant avail of this, its ridiculous i think, could you tell me please where to find the whole sale website mentioned above?

Regards.

Update I have found the above mentioned site and notice that there is indeed a cabinet planned for beside the exchange (BOF1_E01), is there any update on this?

Regards
    Hi netfreak

I am afraid I do not have any more detailed information as to when this cabinet will be enabled or when addresses connected to it will be able to order the service. I can only advise that a Cabinet is planned for here. We are unable to give exact information on availability to specific addresses. I would advise you to periodically check the attached Phone number Checker using your Phone number as this is updated as individual addresses are enabled.

Check Availability

thanks
    Colm

Hi netfreak

I am afraid I do not have any more detailed information as to when this cabinet will be enabled or when addresses connected to it will be able to order the service. I can only advise that a Cabinet is planned for here. We are unable to give exact information on availability to specific addresses. I would advise you to periodically check the attached Phone number Checker using your Phone number as this is updated as individual addresses are enabled.

thanks
    Colm
    Hi Colm, I have noticed that work has commenced and is in completion phase, are you able t get a date for us please.
    The cabinet in question is BOF1_E01,
    Kind Regards.

Hi Tweaky

I've enquired and spoke to efibre planning in relation to this. I have been informed that plans are only at a wholesale level at this stage and there is yet to be an agreed activation date, while they cannot offer a date they have indicated that it may not be until 2015 before we have any further news or dates available.

Thanks
    Al
    Hi Alan,
    Is there any update on my exchange at this point - it has moved to work in progress - any idea of go live date. Exchange is CHT-E01

Thanks,
    Tweaky.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

My exchange DLK1_E01 is live as of today or yesterday when I try enter my number into the eircom site im told I'm not in an efibre area . I'm connected directly to this exchange as confirmed by multiple people at eircom and yet I STILL can't get eFibre despite the fact that it has gone live? I don't even live that far from the exchange my line syncs at 17Mb/s on ADSL2+ . What's going on am I ever going to get this service every other place in my town can get efibre I'm starting to get annoyed now if I can't get it :(

• Advertisement

jay93 wrote: »
    My exchange DLK1_E01 is live as of today or yesterday when I try enter my number into the eircom site im told I'm not in an efibre area . I'm connected directly to this exchange as confirmed by multiple people at eircom and yet I STILL can't get eFibre despite the fact that it has gone live? I don't even live that far from the exchange my line syncs at 17Mb/s on ADSL2+ . What's going on am I ever going to get this service every other place in my town can get efibre I'm starting to get annoyed now if I can't get it :(
    Hi jay93

Please PM me your land line number and I will investigate this further

Cheers
    Al

Hi jay93

Cheers
    Al

PM sent thanks Al

Hi jay93

Cheers
    Al

PM sent thanks Al
    Thanks for your PM jay93

I do see that the exchange cab has indeed launched however more works are required to increase coverage from it - at present your line is on an older shelve within the exchange and there is a predicted period of a number of months before the lines will be migrated to the eFibre unit. Unfortunately I can't offer you a timeframe as to when eFibre will be available but indications do certainly suggest it should be this year.
    I'm sorry I can't offer you better news jay93.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks for your PM jay93

I do see that the exchange cab has indeed launched however more works are required to increase coverage from it - at present your line is on an older shelve within the exchange and there is a predicted period of a number of months before the lines will be migrated to the eFibre unit. Unfortunately I can't offer you a timeframe as to when eFibre will be available but indications do certainly suggest it should be this year.

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al

Was hoping once it went live I would have been able to get fibre the rest of my town has it just our area that's connected to the exchange can't :( I'll check back in a couple of months to see if anything has changed .

Is there anyway to increase the speed of our line at all or is it maxed out right now ?

Thanks .

Thanks for your PM jay93

Thanks
    Al

Thanks Al

Was hoping once it went live I would have been able to get fibre the rest of my town has it just our area that's connected to the exchange can't :( I'll check back in a couple of months to see if anything has changed .

Is there anyway to increase the speed of our line at all or is it maxed out right now ?

Thanks .
    Genuinely Sorry I can't offer you better news yet Jay

Your speeds are maxed out to what your line can hold right now and the only possible improvement is when eFibre becomes available

Cheers
    Al

Your speeds are maxed out to what your line can hold right now and the only possible improvement is when eFibre becomes available

Cheers
    Al

That's ok thanks for checking for me I guessed it was maxed out going by the line stats and distance speed isn't bad at 14Mb/s I'm off to the states for a few months this week I'll check back when I'm home to see if the upgrade will be available on my line by then :)

Cheers

Cheers
    Al

That's ok thanks for checking for me I guessed it was maxed out going by the line stats and distance speed isn't bad at 14Mb/s I'm off to the states for a few months this week I'll check back when I'm home to see if the upgrade will be available on my line by then :)

Cheers
    Hopefully so,

Great to hear you're off to the states for a few months - have a great time :)

Al

Hi Al, can you check my cabinet out for me please it is BOF1_E01, and went live this week, so far i have checked all business lines up to 50 yards away and they all pass, but mine still fails. i do not know anybody else in my park to check if they pass or not, Thanks Al, look forward to hearing from you.

Hi Al, can you check my cabinet out for me please it is BOF1_E01, and went live this week, so far i have checked all business lines up to 50 yards away and they all pass, but mine still fails. i do not know anybody else in my park to check if they pass or not, Thanks Al, look forward to hearing from you.
    Hi netfreak,
    Al is off today and tomorrow. I have sent cab details for update. I will be back as soon as I have this information.
    Tony

• Advertisement

Hi netfreak,
    Al is off today and tomorrow. I have sent cab details for update. I will be back as soon as I have this information.
    Tony
    Thanks man, we live in the Glenview park area, i have managed to look up 12 other residential numbers in this park and they fail also, all others up to here that previously failed now pass since the cabinet went live.

Advertisement