Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoulder Pain - due to Business Travel . Should company provide wheels case?

Options
  • 08-04-2014 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

HI All,

Looking for advice :

I travel across europe on a bi-monthly basis .

I stay between 2 - 4 days on each trip - I have to carry my laptop & personal items in a company provided backpack.

I have developed Interscapular pain - between the shoulder blades . I get weekly massages/physio to alleviate the stiffness and discomfort.

My physio ( pay myself) and my masseuse (pay myself) both advise me the cause of discomfort is due to carrying the heavy ( 5.4kg) backpack and advise me to get a wheels case.

Does my company have to provide me with a wheels case. Can I claim on my company expenses ?

Thank for the help !

Regards
    Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

That's a question for your boss, saying that though if your already paying Physio to fix the problem would the sensible option not to have bought a wheel case already.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,895 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

sinwoo wrote: »
    HI All,

I have developed Interscapular pain - between the shoulder blades . I get weekly massages/physio to elevate the stiffness and discomfort.

My physio ( pay myself) and my masseuse (pay myself) both advise me the cause of discomfort is due to carrying the heavy ( 5.4kg) backpack and advise me to get a wheel case.

Firstly, I'm assuming you mean alleviate - it would be better to use this word when you report the problem to your company.

Second, you need to report this work-related injury to your employer ASAP.

Even if they don't agree with the specific solution, they need to be part of managing the injury.

I'm sure that the physio and masseuse with agree with you, but I'd be thinking that an occupational therapist who looks at the entirity of what you're doing would be essential in managing this. It's quite possible that the problems are due to a combination of factors eg using a laptop without a proper keyboard and elevated screen may be even more damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sinwoo

Thanks for the advice Mrs OBumble !

I didn't consider long term management or consider reporting to HR etc . I just thought it was "part of the job".

Thanks for advice.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

sinwoo wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice Mrs OBumble !

I didn't consider long term management or consider reporting to HR etc . I just thought it was "part of the job".

Thanks for advice.

I regularly carry stuff weighing up to 12kg in my work bag.

I asked for and got without issue a wheely case, which I only use when required to carry that amount of stuff.

Those bags cost about €100

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Do they want employees to use the company backpack specifically?

And is the wheelie bag we're talking about a standard carry on travel bag with the extendable handle and little wheels at the bottom?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I'm sorry if my reply seems a bit "eh?" but...

5.4 kg? Come on, that is not heavy. If you really are struggling with such a low weight you should analyse why you are so weak and what you can do to fix it (e.g. change your diet and do some exercise).

It seems quite obvious to me (as a former manager) that you obviously should not be limiting yourself to this backpack if it is causing you problems. Talk to your manager. She will no doubt say "WTF get a different bag". I hope the company will cover the expense.

And I can't help but think we're not getting the whole story. You are paying for expensive *weekly* physio and massages but won't pay for a new bag? Isn't this just beyond common sense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

5.4 kg? Come on, that is not heavy. If you really are struggling with such a low weight you should analyse why you are so weak and what you can do to fix it (e.g. change your diet and do some exercise).

It seems quite obvious to me (as a former manager) that you obviously should not be limiting yourself to this backpack if it is causing you problems. Talk to your manager. She will no doubt say "WTF get a different bag". I hope the company will cover the expense.

And I can't help but think we're not getting the whole story. You are paying for expensive *weekly* physio and massages but won't pay for a new bag? Isn't this just beyond common sense?

Mr Loverman raises a good point. Have you consulted a Doctor?

5.4 kg? Come on, that is not heavy.

That was my first reaction, too.

But may be it's bag itself that weights 5.4kg, before anything is put into it. That's not impossible, and would be adding, unnecessarily, to the overall weight.

But I agree, likely to be far more to this story.

But may be it's bag itself that weights 5.4kg, before anything is put into it. That's not impossible, and would be adding, unnecessarily, to the overall weight.

Really? I have a big Sansonite suitcase in solid poly-propolene that weighs 5Kg. We used to take on holidays before the baggage allowance dropped to 20Kg.

But I agree that there is probably more to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sinwoo

Hi All
    Thanks for the comments - great advice.

Yes I probably sound naive :o

Background:
    Company issue bag is Victorinox backpack weighs : 8.3 lb [4 kg] .
    Laptop is 3.46 pounds (1.57 kg )
    My personal items, documents, chargers etc weigh approx 2-4 kg

I'm about 60 kg - average fitness ( height 160 cm) Bag dimensions are 37w x 53h

I initially had stiff neck- went to masseuse who commented, there was tension in my neck , shoulders - which I attributed to ergonomics of using my laptop ( holding on lap / looking down ) Masseuse advised weekly massage to work out the tension. Massage helped alot

No travel in December. ( No massage ) Neck felt grand.
    Current
    Since January travel is full on - backpack is back.
    Month ago - my upper arm, shoulder and neck very stiff. When to massues - she advised I see physio as she could see when I was lying flat my shoulder were not aligned were raised.

I didn't go to doctor .

When to physio - He asked job, tasks, ergonomics, sport etc - the physio linked the bag , weight and position- as to probable cause.

I generally have good posture ( years of yoga). Physio said the weight of bag I was altering cranio-vertebral angle (neck) and my shoulder blade struggle to counterbalance the weight.

Advice received:
    Never carry more than 10% of your body weight - otherwise causes postural sway- torque and tension placed on the spine by a heavy load.

I do yoga which strengthens my core. Yes I could do some work on my strengthening my upper body ( at moment I'm so tender - I find hard to lift weights). I have some Physio exercises to do.

Physio said don't use backpack bag - get a wheelie case.

I was very blinkered not making the association to carrying back pack. I did not think this is a work related injury . When I reflect, and getting advice here- I realise it is.

Yes I will buy a wheelie suitcase ( approx €200 - 250 ) for 4 castor wheel case and a correct height / weight for me.

Can I claim this case on my company expenses? Do my company have to cover the cost of this case?

Regardless if company pays or not I will purchases because I can't continue with backpack
    - My physio cost - I can claim back some cost on my health insurance

I do appreciate all your responses.
    S

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I might be missing something, but surely a standard wheelie carry-on case (50 quid or so?) would do the trick to carry 7kg or so?
    Can I claim this case on my company expenses? Do my company have to cover the cost of this case?

That's mostly up to them, I'd imagine. I used to travel every 2/3 weeks with work, and it was a given that I used my own luggage. If there are medical issues caused by work, then there may be some case - but you need to talk to them.

In my last job we used to collect quite a lot of paper evidence (we would undertake private prosecutions against employees stealing from government departments) so I asked for a wheelie bag. Employer said fine. Went to John Lewis and got the nicest one I could find for about £60 - I think we still have it. €200 to 250 must really be the dogs balearics. Does it do anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Some kids school bags are heavier than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

You need to explain all this to your employer. If it really is provable that the company supplied bag caused the problems (e.g. physio's letter) then I would think, if they are reasonable people, they will cover the cost of your new bag.

They might argue (as Eoin has done) was it really necessary to buy such an expensive wheelie case.

Two exercises you could do to strengthen your shoulders and back are:

Bent over row
    Overhead press

They target the parts of your back which do most of the carrying. You can do both of these with dumbbells.

Regardless, I hope this works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

I have a wheeled bag for business travel, cabin size, very light, with a padded pocket for laptop. Cost about 40 euro. It is less than the cost of a GP appointment, who cares if employer pays for it or not? I never bothered with the backpack my employer provided, although it is very high quality. To be fair it never occurred to me to ask for the cost of the wheelie bag, but I would not ask for the cost of my suitcase, either.

OP, I'm pretty sure there's a legal obligation on you to inform your employer of a work-related injury.

If I was them, I'd also be worried about the potential injuries that could be caused by a wheelie bag, and need to balance up the two.

NB I purchased a wheelie suitcase 7 years ago for about 35 yoyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I had a cheapo wheelie case, and it only lasted 2 years before it split open after frequent travel! Now I have an expensive samsonite one with a lifetime guarantee :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

I'm sorry but I dread then day when I have an employee like this, it's like you keep poking yourself in the eye and at the same time complain about having a sore eye.
    Use some common sense and sort it out.
    Sweet Devine Jesus.
    The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭mockingjay

This seems a bit petty, particularly if you're in a senior position, just buy yourself a new bag and get on with it, you wouldn't ask them to pay for new shoes because you walk around, nor a new suit for travelling, why torture yourself, you'll probably use it sometimes for personal use as well.

Advertisement