Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets See what drives Solobally8

Options
  • 08-04-2014 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Previous threads of this series are:
    Kurt Godel
    littlemsfickle
    BTH
    Green&Red
    Catzweazle
    Dory
    Oryx
    RQ
    Fazz
    Bambaata
    pgibbo
    AKW
    shotgunmcos
    peter kern
    zico10
    joey100
    Couerdelion
    Tunney
    miller82
    bryangiggsy
    mossym
    Trig1

If a mod wants to ann links to the previous threads it would be great..

So Solobally8 lets get things started

where did you get you username from?
    What got you into tri's ?
    why have you now decided to go down the cycling route?
    will you do any tri's this year?
    whats your sporting background?

that should get you started!

oh nearly forgot... how long can you hold a plank for ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Thanks Trig1. I thought everyone had forgotten about me now that I'm mostly a cyclist :D

Where did you get you username from?
    When I joined boards years ago I lived in a place called Ballycasey. My daughter was 8 at the time so hence Bally8. At one stage a while back I left boards and closed that account but then missed the gang on here and all the support so came back pretty quickly. I intended to train on my own so Solobally8 was the cryptic name I decided to go with ;) (The training on my own lasted about 2 weeks too)

What got you into tri's ?
    The usual route for many. I had a running injury and was going mad doing nothing so I went for a few cycles on my hybrid. The first one was 3 miles and I thought I was amazing! I started swimming lessons a few weeks later and then decided to join the local tri club. Life has never been the same since!

Why have you now decided to go down the cycling route?
    Injury yet again. Last summer I had a nasty fall off the bike and couldn't run for a few months. I could only cycle so invested in a new bike, got a coach and decided to devote this year to cycling only to see what I could achieve. Cycling has always been my best discipline in Triathlon.

Will you do any tri's this year?
    Yes definitely. I will do Lanesboro as its a brilliant fast course and all of our club triathlons in Dromineer and then I will see after that. Maybe Worlds End too.

Whats your sporting background?
    None! I was your typical teenage girl more interested in my hair and clothes than sport. Then was busy raising my daughter and going to college so got lazy and fat. I tried different exercise classes but never did anything for too long. I remember looking at people out running and wishing I could be a runner too but never doing anything about it. I would go to the gym and walk on the treadmill too self conscious to even try running!
    At 26 I had a boyfriend who had ran marathons and one day he took me out and I did my first run in Cratloe Woods. We split up 2 days later but I continued running and did my first 10k a few weeks later.

oh nearly forgot... how long can you hold a plank for ?
    I'm at work in very high heels and a skirt so I'll wait till I get home to try that one ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Favourite Film?
    Favourite character from a movie?
    Favourite scene from a movie?
    Whats the female cycling scene in Ireland like, does that Siobhan Horgan race much who won the Duathlon Championship - she seems exceptional?
    How have you adapted your training to a more cycling focus from the triathlon days of yore?
    Have you a TT bike yet - have you practiced much on TTS?
    Has your daughter any interest in cycling?
    How are the bumps and bruises healing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Guilty pleasure food? Followed by what do you treat yourself to or binge on after a good race??
    What Easter egg will you being going for?
    Do you have any pets?
    What are your cycling goals for this year?
    Five guests to have at a dinner party.. who would they be?? (I really love reading peoples answers to this question so sorry for stealing it from it's creator!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Uphill or downhill?
    Chased or chasing?
    Glass half full or half empty?
    Lochte or Phelps? (since you're a girl you can answer this any way you want;))
    How did it feel posting those crash pics, and several people still finding them sexy?
    I remember you from the jogging forum years back, and you just seemed content to plod and didn't seem too pushed- however as a biker you really seem to love it and want to improve, there's a real energy and enthusiasm there. What is the difference between Bally8 and Solobally8?
    If you could commit one crime and get away with it, what would you do?

Hi catweazle

Favourite Film?
    O brother where art thou? I love the Cohen brothers stuff. Just the right amount of crazy.

Favourite character from a movie?
    Well I love anything to do with history so Cate Blanchett's portrayal of Elizabeth in both movies would be my favourite. A very inspiring woman.

Favourite scene from a movie?
    Oh god there is a very short scene in UP that I totally love! Its when the house floats away and the dog comes out and says 'I was hiding under your porch because I love you'. We love that so much here in our house. It gets quoted quite a lot :)

I have to go to bed now but will answer all the other questions at when I'm dossing at work tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Favourite training session?
    Will up do many of the Dromineer tris this year or you concentrating more on the bike?
    Favourite route for a spin around Nenagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Any tips for someone for whom cycling is by far their weakest tri discipline?

What's your favourite (a) alcoholic drink (b) chocolate (c) guilty pleasure meal?

What bike(s) do you currently have?

Ok where was I...

Whats the female cycling scene in Ireland like, does that Siobhan Horgan race much who won the Duathlon Championship - she seems exceptional?
    The female cycling scene is quite small in comparison to the male scene but its growing at a very rapid rate. There are a good few exceptionally strong riders out there. I think its fantastic that some Irish women are professional given that there is so little support for them. I don't know too much about Siobhan Horgan to be honest. She did really well as an international cyclist and was Irish road race champion. Any time you see her at a race you know she is going to kick ass on the bike leg!

How have you adapted your training to a more cycling focus from the triathlon days of yore?
    For the past few months my training has almost exclusively been cycling. When I was training for triathlon I was doing 3 swims, 3 runs and 4 cycles a week. Now I do the odd run which I hope to increase to maybe twice a week from now on but have done no swimming since our local pool closed in December. I'm looking forward to getting back in the lake at the end of the month. Then I would say my training will look a little more tri focused with a heave emphasis on cycling though.

Have you a TT bike yet ?
    No TT bike, it's not something I will invest in for the foreseeable future. If I go back to doing mainly triathlons then it might be something I look at but for now clip on bars are good enough for me :)

Has your daughter any interest in cycling?
    Oh god no - you have to wear a helmet, How uncool is that! And it involves sweating and your make up would run and people might see you. So no way!!! (She is a very image conscious teenager :D)

How are the bumps and bruises healing up?
    Getting better every day thanks. My face is much much better. I don't think I scare people any more and can cover the scars up a little with make up. Knee is still a bit sore and scabby but apart from that I'm physically nearly there. Mentally...that's another story

Hi johnk123

Guilty pleasure food?
    I sometimes eat nutella straight from the jar. Big humongus spoonfulls of the stuff. It's self limiting though as after about 5 spoons I want to throw up! Then I feel like a crazy woman for doing that to myself but also satisfied. (I have issues, I know!!)

Followed by what do you treat yourself to or binge on after a good race??
    We are addicted to Walkers Thai Sweet Chilli Sensations in our house so they are my go to treat item, along with a bag of giant buttons mixed in and a can of diet coke. Heaven!!!

What Easter egg will you being going for?
    I'm hoping to race Easter Sunday so will probably skip the egg and have my Sensations after instead :)

Do you have any pets?
    I have a bad history with pets. I once killed some goldfish by cooking them. I had a tiny kitchen and was baking cookies. The fish tank was near the oven and it got very very warm in there. I was amazed at how fast the fish were swimming around the tank. They usually were slow and lazy. Next thing they stopped and floated to the top. The water was roasting. The heat had killed them :o
    Then we had a hamster called Melmen who lived in a cage in my daughters room. We decided to let it have some time outside in the back garden to enjoy some freedom. The little feicker ran straight up a drain pipe and no matter what I did I couldn't get him out. We had to go somewhere so I had to leave him there. Never saw him again.
    Now we have a beautiful dog called Tyson. He is boxer/sheep dog cross (accidentally). He is so full of fun and energy and has no idea how huge he is. Havent managed to endanger him yet :D

What are your cycling goals for this year?
    They have changed since the start of the year I can tell you! My goals now are not to crash any more, to finish a National League race or two and get some points. Mainly now I just want to get confident, learn as much as I can this year and then next year look to be a bit more competitive.

Five guests to have at a dinner party.. who would they be??
    Mmm let me see...
    Chrissie Wellington- I met her a couple years ago and she was so nice and normal. I would like to ask her how could she walk away from competitive racing, is there not a big void in her life now?
    Jensen Button of course! He is nom nom yummy nom nom. I love F1, have followed it for over 20 years and he combines the best of both worlds.
    I would have Graham Norton along too. He is brilliant, I love his one liners and quick come-backs.
    Jamie Dornan- again a bit of yumminess but he is very funny too
    And Shemar Moore -phowar! He is the definition of hot!

Mmm not the most intellectual of tables but quite nice to look at :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Hey.

directly after the crash, were you more worried about the bike or yourself
    just to see if you are a true cyclist now :D
    how many bikes and names.
    Any predictions for Roubaix this weekend?
    Is there much of difference in the atmosphere between bike and triathlon races.
    Bucket list of places to swim,cycle and run.
    best race so far.

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Solobally8!!!!! :D

Okay, here we go.....

What, when and where was the first ever race you entered, and how did you finish?

Do you get nervous before a race and wonder what the heck you're doing on the start line?

Do you eye up your competition and plot your assault on how to take them down? And/or do you eye up your competition and make mental notes of racing-fashion dos and don'ts?

Do you have any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?

In a race, what is a typical conversation that would be going on in your head?

What motivates you to train and race?

What is the longest bike ride you've ever done?

Have you ever done any races outside of Ireland? If so, where and what?

Do you wear makeup when you race?

Are you nails/toenails painted at this moment? If so, what color?

Do I remember reading that at one point you had to cancel your wedding?

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many...and where and of what?

Hypothetical situation: me, you and Oryx in a HIM relay (swim, bike, run, respectively).....what all male boards team would you like to see us go up against, what will be our strategy to crush them (what the officials don't know...;)), and how will we celebrate our win??

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What is your achilles heel when it comes to racing - what limits you?

What is your best asset when it comes to racing?

Must have piece of kit?

Would you/do you travel far (abroad) to race?

Do you have a nemesis/hero?

Hi Kurt, sorry it's taking me so long to reply to the questions. I have been busy busy the last few days.

Uphill or downhill?
    I assume you are asking about cycling here? :) If you asked me that questions a few weeks ago I would have said downhill but since the crash I'm a total chicken on downhills :( so I would have to go with uphill for now.

Chased or chasing?
    Mmm are we talking about racing or life? Racing would be chasing, life is chased :D

Glass half full or half empty?
    Glass half full definitely which is hard to reconcile with the fact that I suffer from depression. You would expect me to be a glass half empty kind of gal but my natural disposition is a positive one. I just lose that positivity in a big way from time to time when I go through a difficult episode.

Lochte or Phelps? (since you're a girl you can answer this any way you want;))
    Ha ha, well you answered that one yourself. Phelps for his amazingness, Lochte for his body :D

How did it feel posting those crash pics, and several people still finding them sexy?
    Ha ha it just reconfirmed to me how mental ye all are on here!!

I remember you from the jogging forum years back, and you just seemed content to plod and didn't seem too pushed- however as a biker you really seem to love it and want to improve, there's a real energy and enthusiasm there. What is the difference between Bally8 and Solobally8?

I think as Bally8 I was convinced I wasn't able to ever get any better. I was a back of the pack plodder and trained mostly on my own so any feedback I got was from people who didn't exercise and thought I was amazing for just getting off my arse. A lot of back slapping for less than mediocre results. I just kind of accepted that running was too hard for me and I would never be good at it.

Cycling is very different. I discovered that I was slightly better than the other beginners when I joined the triathlon club. It quickly became my best discipline and the training I enjoyed the most. I love how quickly you can see the results of hard training. Put in the work and within 4/5 weeks you can see how much better you are going.

I have discovered a competitive streak in me which I never knew existed. I'm no longer back of the pack and to be honest it's great for the ego to be stronger than other people (especially some of the lads:D). I've also learned how to suffer on the bike. I'm much stronger mentally as a result which I hope will translate to faster run times when I get back to regular running. I never really pushed myself hard enough to suffer when I ran.

If you could commit one crime and get away with it, what would you do?
    Rob a bank of course. I would love to have enough money to give up working and travel the world with the hubby.

Hey there Lost Sheep

Favourite training session?
    There is a pyramid set I do on the turbo that is so tough I think I'm going to die or throw up while doing it but feel amazing after. It consists of my usual 20 minute warm up then a 14 min pyramid set of 30 sec spin up, 1:30 recovery, 45 sec spin up, 2:15 recovery, 60 sec spin up, 3 min recovery and back down again. 3 min recovery and then the 14 minute set again. Then cool down. You have to do the spin ups all out till you cant breath. Great stuff :D I do all my bike training based on HR and cadence.

Will up do many of the Dromineer tris this year or you concentrating more on the bike?
    The plan is to do as many as I can and the aquathons too but I haven't swam since December so the swim part will be a little slow I think :cool:

Favourite route for a spin around Nenagh?
    On a sunny day you cant beat a spin round the lake. That's a bit long though so a quick and easy one would be out to Toomevara, turn for Ballinamona cross, to Dolla, Silvermines and back onto the N7.

Hi RK, how's life in London?

Any tips for someone for whom cycling is by far their weakest tri discipline?
    You just need to put some time into it. I think a lot of people make the mistake of avoiding their weakest discipline in favour of their best. Bike training I believe is all about getting miles in the legs and confidence with your handling. Then hard sets on the turbo, or interval work on the road will bring you on. Also you need to train with people who are faster than you. I find this brings me on no end.

What's your favourite (a) alcoholic drink (b) chocolate (c) guilty pleasure meal?
    (a)I gave up drinking nearly two years ago but up until then I used to drink vodka and diet coke. I had a major fondness for Sambuca for years. Loved the stuff, could drink a bottle on a night out no bother.
    (b)Chocolate- I love all kinds but Ferrero Rochers are my favourite and then any Cadbury bar especially dairy milks but not the normal size one, or the next one up, the biggest bar has the nicest chocolate of them all.
    (c) Gosh guilty pleasure meal that's a tough one... can I say sensations and buttons? When I'm going through a particularly bold phase with my diet I often replace dinner with a big bowl of them :o

What bike(s) do you currently have?
    I have a Felt Z100, my first road bike which I bought 2.5 years ago. It is a grand bike and did me fine for the first while in triathlon. Heavy though and built for leisure cycling really.
    I also have an UNOVELO carbon bike which I love. Got her custom built last September. Super light and responsive.

Thanks for the questions RK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

Hi Solobally8,
    Good to hear you're recovering well from the spill.

What do you do for crust?
    What tri club are you in? I assume Nenagh.
    Were you ever coached as a triathlete?
    How is being coached going? Would you recommend it to people? If so, why?
    Is your hubby into tri or sports?
    Biking tends to eat in to big hours. What's you training load like now that you are bike focused?
    Favourite meal - across the courses
    Dream bike - money no object.
    Any bucket list races you'd like to do?
    Favourite tri distance

Cheers,
    P.

Hey Benny

directly after the crash, were you more worried about the bike or yourself
    just to see if you are a true cyclist now :D

I remember immediately after looking firstly at the pool of blood on the ground and thinking wow I'm definitely hurt then thinking 'my bike! my bike!' I even got in a bit of a debate with the paramedics when I wanted to go find my bike before they took me to hospital. They wouldn't let me bring her in the ambulance and I had to run over to her before I would get in to check her out (and to get my garmin in case it was stolen) So as my first thought was about the blood and my face I'm still a girly girl and not a true cyclist yet :D

how many bikes and names.
    Only 2 at the moment :) My Felt Z100 is called Vanessa Felt. Just like me and Vanessa Feltz, the bike is fat and heavy mostly and then sometimes when all is going right she feels light and curvy instead :D
    My UNOVELO is called Una. She has a small pink decal added to her to make her distinctive from all her male counterparts.
    My latest idea is to get a mountain bike for the winter to improve my bike handling skills so I should have 3 bikes by the end of the year.

Any predictions for Roubaix this weekend?
    Cant wait for it. These races are so unpredictable though it could be anyone's race. I think Cancellara will be hard to beat. He won it last year and is really on form now. Maybe Sagan might step it up a gear though. I'll put my money on Cancellara though.

Is there much of difference in the atmosphere between bike and triathlon races.
    I've only been to 3 bike races so I'm not really qualified to say. So far I've preferred the fact that there is less waiting around at bike races, just sign on, warm up and off you go. But then there isn't the same atmosphere as a triathlon where you have time to chat to lots of people, check out the bike bling and take in the buzz. Triathlons feel like there is more of an event happening so for me there is definitely more of an atmosphere happening. The bike race atmosphere is more serious, the lads are there to do a job, be competitive so everyone seems more focused. The fun comes after when the feed is laid on (my fave part).

Bucket list of places to swim,cycle and run.
    I would just love to swim somewhere warm and sunny. I would love to go to Thailand. So one of the many beautiful beaches there would do.
    I definitely intend cycling some of the route of the Tour de France some day. Alpe d'Heuz, Mont Ventouz etc but of course it will be a long time from now. Especially as I have a lot of work to do on my climbing and I would be too scared to descend down the other side :D
    The North Pole marathon is something I have thought about a lot over the years. Crazy hard I would think.

best race so far.
    I've never had a triathlon where I felt really happy with my result but I've had some club races where everything fell in to place and I've finished totally spent after giving it all I've got. Those have been my best unofficial races but if I had to pick one race as my best I suppose it would be the one and only race I have ever won. That was the BabyMac Adventure race in 2011.

I did this race with my husband in preparation for the Connemara Adventure race which was happening a few weeks later. We had planned to do the whole thing together, especially the kayak leg as we tend to get a little angry with each other in a two person kayak and we wanted to practise together so we wouldn't fight in Connemara (we fought!).
    Anyways this race was for people who had never done an adventure race before and was a short easy enough introduction to adventure racing with a hilly run, a hilly bike, a very short kayak and a short run to the finish.
    My husband was carrying an injury so we agreed to go at his pace. We were passed by loads of people on the run and by the time we got to the bikes we were coming 38th and I was chomping at the bit to get going. So off I went like the clappers and left him and the rest of the field behind :eek:. Got to the transition and the marshalls were shouting at me to keep going I was winning. I though cool I'm the first lady and then realised I was first overall! I was standing there waiting for Stephen to arrive so we could kayak together as planned but there was no sign of him so I just took off and did it alone! It was cool to win the race. The following year my time was smashed but I know I would have gone a lot faster if I had gone at my own pace from the start.
    It was a fun day, my husband eventually forgave me, and I can always say I won an adventure race :D

Thanks for the questions BennyMul

Hey Dory sorry for taking so long to reply. It sure takes a lot longer to do this than I thought!

What, when and where was the first ever race you entered, and how did you finish?
    The first race I ever did was a 10k called the Peach 10k in Shannon (my home town). I had been running for 8 weeks, going from 0 to 10k in that time. I remember it was a scorching hot day in June 2006 and I thought I would never get to the finish. Loved the atmosphere though and trundled home in 64 minutes. Didn't do another race for 8 months after that!

Do you get nervous before a race and wonder what the heck you're doing on the start line?
    Always! Every race!

Do you eye up your competition and plot your assault on how to take them down?
    To a certain extent. Even though I'm a back of the packer I look at other girls trying to figure out who I can beat. My plan of attack is always the same, make it through the swim without drowning then pass as many on the bike and hang on for dear life on the run :D

And/or do you eye up your competition and make mental notes of racing-fashion dos and don'ts?
    I got talking to two girls at the start of a sprint tri in Athlone last year. They were both wearing Ireland tri suits with their names on them. I thought Wow they must be good to have represented Ireland. But no, this was their first triathlon, they had bought the suits off the tri Ireland website. Definitely a big no no!!

Do you have any pre-race/race rituals or superstitions?
    Not really I just have to have my porridge and banana the morning of a race. No superstitions or rituals.

In a race, what is a typical conversation that would be going on in your head?
    I'm usually panicking and praying for it to be over soon :pac::D

What motivates you to train and race?
    I want to be fit and active. I spent too many years sitting on the couch eating and feeling sorry for myself. I need to train for my mental health too. Racing is fun (despite my previous answer) and gives me a focus for all the training. I love the social side of it too. I have a group of great people to train with, its hard to miss a session when they are waiting for you somewhere with loads of gossip :) I'm at a point in my life where I want to see what I'm capable of. I want to be the best version of myself. I also find my training is a great inspiration to my students. I find I am becoming a good role model for them and my daughter.

What is the longest bike ride you've ever done?
    I did the Ring of Kerry cycle 2 years ago. That was just under 180k. Although we spent a lot of time stopping at the food stops and pigging out. We kind of rolled from one food stop to another.

Have you ever done any races outside of Ireland? If so, where and what?
    None yet.

Do you wear makeup when you race?
    Never, I can imagine what I would look like with make up running of my big red sweaty face!

Are you nails/toenails painted at this moment? If so, what color?
    Not painted at the moment. But will be once I go back swimming. Usually red.

Do I remember reading that at one point you had to cancel your wedding?
    Yip, long story involving an ash cloud coming from a volcano in Iceland! We were getting married in Las Vegas, half our wedding party flew out on the Thursday. We were due to fly out on the Friday. No planes flying. Queue the next few days of hanging about waiting to see if our plane would come. Then having to cancel everything and arrange a wedding over here in 10 days! Having to go to court to be allowed get married so fast and then worrying that those people over in Vegas would get back in time! I remember I ran every single day and I was as calm as I have ever been. It was no biggie really, it wasn't like one of us changed our minds, we were going to be married whatever way it happened.

Have you any tattoos? If so, how many...and where and of what?
    I just have the one. Its a daisy type thing with leaves and a weed of some kind growing out of it. Its on my ankle. Horrible thing, done by a guy starting out as a tattoo artist (not his finest work) I was 17 and did it to annoy my mother. Guess she had the last laugh :D

Hypothetical situation: me, you and Oryx in a HIM relay (swim, bike, run, respectively).....what all male boards team would you like to see us go up against, what will be our strategy to crush them (what the officials don't know...;)), and how will we celebrate our win??
    Kurt of course for the swim, Fazz for the bike and shotgunmcos for the run. I think the best strategy would be flashing, lots of it! Distract them, make them swallow water, fall off the bike and trip over his tongue on the run :D;)
    Celebration would be drinks on the boys for a long night of laughing and chatting.

Thanks for the questions Dory

Hey Oryx

What is your achilles heel when it comes to racing - what limits you?
    My mind definitely. I worry too much at the start of a race. I often panic and wonder what am I doing here among all these fit people where I don't belong. When I think like that I get distracted and waste energy. Self belief is something I need to work on.

What is your best asset when it comes to racing?
    Again my mind! When I'm feeling good and focused, when everything goes to plan I become strong and stubborn and will never give up. Its funny how much the mental side of things can affect me.

Must have piece of kit?
    My garmin edge 500. I am a slave to the numbers! I enjoy looking at how far and how fast, cadence, hr etc after each training session. I set monthly goals and get great satisfaction from meeting them.

Would you/do you travel far (abroad) to race?
    I haven't yet but would love to go abroad for a race. Maybe in the next year or two.

Do you have a nemesis/hero?
    Yes both. I have a rivalry with another girl in the club. We started at the same time. She is a much better runner than I am but I would be better on the bike. She isn't even aware she is my nemesis but I often compare myself to her and use it as a marker of my progress :D
    Another girl in the club would be my hero/inspiration. She is as tough as nails and if you tell her she cant do something she will go off and work her backside off to prove she can. She pushes through the pain barrier over and over again and gets great results because of that. I would love to be that tough.

Thanks for the questions Oryx

Good to hear you're recovering well from the spill.
    Thanks pgibbo.

What do you do for crust?
    I work in education with teenagers who have been expelled or dropped out of school around the time of their Junior Cert. We have 13 kids between the ages of 16-19. I teach Personal Development (assertiveness, identity, personal growth and all that hippy dippy stuff:D), ICT and Health Related Fitness. I also have administration duties so my role is like that of a deputy principal. I only work 3 days a week though so have lots of time for training.

What tri club are you in? I assume Nenagh.
    Yes Nenagh tri club and Nenagh CC. Great club.

Were you ever coached as a triathlete?
    No the club put on lots of sessions where we get coached by Huff n Puff and a few of the lads. I never felt I was good enough to have a personal coach. I was definitely getting enough advice and guidance from the lads in the club anyway.

How is being coached going? Would you recommend it to people? If so, why?
    We parted ways at the start of the year :) He had a lot on and gave up coaching all his clients as he needed to focus on his own life stuff.

I would recommend coaching for some people. I enjoyed having the structure with clear goals and a plan on how to get there. It was great to have someone motivating me to do the sessions I would probably have skipped if I didn't have to report to him. I learned so much from him about proper scheduling of sessions, peaking, recovery and nutrition.
    On the other hand I felt huge pressure and stress to perform. I was miserable a lot as I had to do all my training alone and when I was bold an did a cycle with the club I felt I had let him down. I also found it tough to be told what to do all the time. My natural inclination is to rebel when someone tells me what to do.
    I now believe I am better off on my own, with advice and guidance from the lads in the club. I mightn't perform as well as I would have with a coach but I enjoy my training so much more and am enjoying learning what I can from lots of different sources and making my own mind up.
    I might get a coach again if I find I am competitive in cycling and was determined to win and make a name for myself but that would be a few years down the line I'd say.

Is your hubby into tri or sports?
    He cant swim so we did a few adventure races together. He is a GAA referee and likes to cycle a bit. He plays soccer too and is currently getting ready to play game at Anfield at the end of May (he is a mad Liverpool supporter)

Biking tends to eat in to big hours. What's you training load like now that you are bike focused?
    It takes up so much time. I thought it would be less now that I'm focused on one sport but it's not at all. When training is going well I do anything up to 14 hours per week on the bike and another 2 hours core and stretching. Add to that the time spend preparing for a ride, washing the bike after a ride, showering, washing gear and getting the nutrition eaten at the right time before and after each ride. No wonder my daughter says I love my bike more than her! :D

Favourite meal - across the courses
    I'm not half as posh as others on here :D I would start with Cajun chicken wings from Eddie Rockets. Then steak, I am a big steak eater and it just has to be cooked right and I'm happy. Medium with just the amount of blood. Dessert would have to be a chocolate fondant from Zest in Shannon. It is the most delicious yummy dessert I have ever had. Yum

Dream bike - money no object.
    I love the Ridley Noah Fast 1302. Would love to have it.
    ridley-noah-fast-1302-2013.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7

Any bucket list races you'd like to do?
    The Alpe d'heuz triathlon. But maybe it would kill me :D

Favourite tri distance
    I've only done sprints except for Athy last year where I did the Olympic. While I didn't really like the course I definitely preferred the distance. More time to get in a rhythm, prefer the longer bike too. So I would have to say oly.

Thanks for questions Pgibbo

• Advertisement

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Kurt of course for the swim, Fazz for the bike and shotgunmcos for the run. I think the best strategy would be flashing, lots of it! Distract them, make them swallow water, fall off the bike and trip over his tongue on the run :D;)
    Celebration would be drinks on the boys for a long night of laughing and chatting.

Loving these answers Solobally8! We need to put this into action, I'm feverishly scouting relay Tri's with suitable post-race watering holes! Can you image the size of the bike drafting train with your flashing plan?!?:D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Loving these answers Solobally8! We need to put this into action, I'm feverishly scouting relay Tri's with suitable post-race watering holes! Can you image the size of the bike drafting train with your flashing plan?!?:D

Count me in :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Count me in :cool:

If any way possible, count me in too. :)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Oh hell yeah. But be warned. KG is prone to a bit of finish line flashing himself...

More questions.
    Do you find that exercise helps with depression?
    Do you think that what you get from training transfers to other areas of your life?
    Do you have a party piece?
    Do you have any bodily quirks like double joints or the ability to touch your nose with your tongue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

hey solobally. meant to get these in earlier in the week but it's been a week which reminds me of a bat meatloaf sang about...

Portroe hill, love or hate?
    Have you tackled kilbane yet?
    You're near the lookout, how come you see nenagh as your local town/club?
    Should there be so may cycle clubs in nenagh?
    I'm in the same boat, grew up in clare (killaloe), now in tipp, how sweet was last September? :)

may think of a few more before you get off the hook here:)

Oryx wrote: »
    Oh hell yeah. But be warned. KG is prone to a bit of finish line flashing himself...
    Lets hope he picks a warm day for the showdown so :cool:

Do you find that exercise helps with depression?
    Yes it definitely does but not in a serotonin inducing washing all my cares away kind of way. My depression manifests itself mainly in negative thinking. Constant, relentless irrational thoughts that tell me I'm useless, Im boring, annoying etc. It's exhausting, my head is constantly going at 90 miles an hour. I have discovered mindfulness in the past few months and it is working really well for me. With mindfulness you spend as much of your time in the present moment, fully aware of what you are doing, observing yourself. So if I am driving I concentrate on what I am doing, what I see, hear, what my body feels like. I am so focused on this that my mind becomes calm and only occasionally wanders. When it does I let it wander for a minute and bring myself back to the present moment.
    So back to exercise- when I cycle I am fully present. It gives my mind time to calm down and focus on the activity of cycling. When I train alone I have sets to complete- a specific interval session or hr zone set. In a group I am spending so much time focusing on staying up with them that my mind has no time to worry about the million things that it usually obsesses about. So exercise most definitely helps my depression.
    And Im sure it produces serotonin at a deeply molecular level too :D

Do you think that what you get from training transfers to other areas of your life?
    I definitely think the training we do transfers to other areas of our lives. I feel the stronger I get in training, the more confident I become in work etc. You have to be good at organisation and time management in order to fit training in. I think this comes out in my work and my home life too. Stubbornness too :D

Do you have a party piece?
    I sing! Im always up for a sing song and have a few songs that always go down well.

Do you have any bodily quirks like double joints or the ability to touch your nose with your tongue
    No unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Hi solobally8!

I've a few questions too-

Have you ever exercised into a state of vomiting?
    What would be your solution to the drafting scourge in triathlon? (If you have a good one, how would you sort out the Israeli-Palestinian question?)
    Paris-Roubaix or Tour de France? Or something else? Why?

Splashy questions...

Whats your favourite place to swim?
    How far can you swim underwater with one breath?
    What is the most useful piece of swimming advice you've been given?
    Ever been tempted by the Killaloe 5k swim?
    Are you a graceful diver?

Hey mossym

Portroe hill, love or hate? HATE it! Hill repeats on Port hill, a special kind of torture!!
    Have you tackled kilbane yet? Not yet but I have a plan to tackle all the hills I've been avoiding. This summer should be interesting :D
    You're near the lookout, how come you see nenagh as your local town/club? It was the only club I knew about in the area when I started triathlon training.It's closest to me too. Glad I joined it, I didn't know anyone in the area and now have a lovely group of girlfriends.

Should there be so may cycle clubs in nenagh? Mmm probably not as the town isn't big enough really. However the two clubs that were there before Nenagh CC had no plans to cater for juniors and that's what the lads wanted to do. Each club has a different focus really.
    I'm in the same boat, grew up in clare (killaloe), now in tipp, how sweet was last September? :)
    SWEET ++ Although it was hard to be too vocal about it, surrounded by major tipp hurling folk!

• Advertisement

Hi MrCreosote

Have you ever exercised into a state of vomiting?
    Never actually vomited but there once was a club turbo session about 2 years back that I nearly spewed. I was all dizzy and nearly fell off the turbo. Really thought I was going to spill but managed to keep it in. Great stuff!

What would be your solution to the drafting scourge in triathlon? :D
    I think the punishment needs to be more severe. At the moment the benefit of drafting out weighs the possibility of getting get caught and getting caught doesn't cost too much time really. Of course that would need more draft marshalls and a focused input from TI

Paris-Roubaix or Tour de France? Or something else? Why?
    Both great races but my fave has always been the Vuelta. I think its a much tougher, honest race and its so much more exciting than the Tour.

Advertisement