Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Times and Bus Lanes

• 08-04-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Over the last few days the Irish Times have published some rather odd letters from a gentleman who does not understand how bus lanes work - and who seems to feel entitled to use them because he works and pays taxes.

http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/opening-up-bus-lanes-1.1749291
    I'd encourage you to make your opinions and expertise know to the Irish Times

Sir, – How curious it is that bus lanes are generally open to all traffic up to 7am and after 7pm when there is no pressing need for them to be and then, just when they could serve to aid traffic flow and dissipate jams, they are closed during rush hours to enable a very few quite empty duos and trios of buses to wheel past while tailbacks of workers’ cars reach back for miles?

As the first green shoots of economic recovery appear, would it be possible to measure the impact of suspending scarcely used bus lanes for a few months and allowing rush hour traffic the full road space to flow more quickly? Surely it is in everyone’s interest to make unnecessary traffic jams disappear?

Yours, etc,
    SHANE O'XXXX,
    after a few more informative letters he comes back with this:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/opening-up-bus-lanes-1.1749291
    Sir, –

The primary failing of largely empty bus lanes at rush hour is that they force two lanes of cars into one lane where motorists intending to turn left further along must wait an unnecessarily long time to reach the filter, meanwhile clogging up the single lane now allowed to them. This is very evident on the Con Colbert Road on the approach to the junction leading to Conyngham Road and on Wolfe Tone Quay on the approach to the junction leading to Blackhall Place and on the Merrion Road approaching various left turns.

The arbitrary priority given to the – often absent – bus passengers is difficult to justify given that individual motorists going to and coming from work are contributing y more to the national economy through buying cars, paying exorbitant motor tax and insurance, regularly buying petrol or diesel, paying for NCTs and for a range of other motor-related repairs and parts, while bus passenger may contribute nothing toward road use.

With regard to the safety of pedal cyclists in Dublin, it is some years since I have seen any cyclist stop for a red light at any junction, while many of them refuse to sport lights or high visibility vests at night, even during the winter months.

If, as is argued, opening up bus lanes at rush hour is a folly, then let it be proved by a measured study.
    Yours, etc,

SHANE O'XXXX,

Once again he seems to not fully appreciate that queuing in a Bus Lane is not improving the motorists' lot - and would greatly reduce the efficiency of the bus system... Neither does he realise than many bus users own cars but choose to leave them at home.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Is he seriously claiming the bus lane on Wolfe Tone Quay is largely empty?

He should be forced to take an eye test before he is allowed back behind the wheel.

As for contributing to the economy, how much money is exported to corrupt oil states each year by private motorists?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 407 ✭✭Mec-a-nic

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    He should be forced to take an eye test before he is allowed back behind the wheel.

I concur, as it's "some years since I have seen any cyclist stop for a red light at any junction". Stopped reading the letter after that.

Reminds me of a taxi driver, many years ago, giving out about the new cycle lane on the Merrion Road - something along the lines of - he's never seen anyone use them so they should be returned to car/parking use... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Not that I agree with it, but the letter writer is saying what many Irish motorists like to think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Why are the IT publishing multiple letters from this guy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Why do we have 24/7 bud lanes.

..... Written from bus in a bus Lane :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I don't know, very few 24/7 bus services :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭iba

IMO the problem is too many motorists driving to work, doing the school run etc.

If more people took the bus it would be better for everyone and teh enviroment.

And before people complain that tehre are not enough buses, bus services would increase as demand increases therefore creating employment.

The quays are jam packed all the time and I notice the return of many HGV's on them too.

It is IMO about time that a city tax be imposed to stop the amount of cars in Dublin City Center; like in London.

Is there really a 24/7 bus lane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

iba wrote: »
    Is there really a 24/7 bus lane?
    :confused: Yes, plenty of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

AngryLips wrote: »
    Why are the IT publishing multiple letters from this guy?

You get the daftest letters in the IT - it's getting near the time for the 'first cuckoo of the year' letter to appear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

bluesteel wrote: »
    Once again he seems to not fully appreciate that queuing in a Bus Lane is not improving the motorists' lot - and would greatly reduce the efficiency of the bus system... Neither does he realise than many bus users own cars but choose to leave them at home.

Actually, the common 'new' thinking is not to stop native turning traffic at all, let it yield right of way and proceed.

Be that a right turn from a highhanded lane of a single flow system or the left hand lane in a two way system.

This free freeflow concept has been experimented with down through the years and only changed after a serious accident when the yield was not given. But overall it is a perfectly sensible idea and does in fact free up traffic for all.

As does allowing cyclists to past with care and attention through SOME red lights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

I am sure plenty of vested interests in Dublin would love to see this happening to the BRT project before it gets off the ground:

http://m.ndtv.com/article/assembly-polls/delhi-sheila-dik****-finally-promises-to-scrap-bus-rapid-transit-corridor-451738

Banjoxed wrote: »
    I am sure plenty of vested interests in Dublin would love to see this happening to the BRT project before it gets off the ground:

Why innovate when we can subject our citizens to misery for any individual's lifetime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, as there are many bus services running 24 hours *

- Airlink
    - Aircoach
    - All the private intercity coach companies (Aircoach, Citylink, GoBus, etc.)
    - Private hire coach companies, etc.
    - They are also used by Taxi's which have their part to play in public transport.
    - Cyclists

* Though I agree not enough, Dublin Bus should be running 24/7 IMO.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, as there are many bus services running 24 hours *

- Airlink
    - Aircoach
    - All the private intercity coach companies (Aircoach, Citylink, GoBus, etc.)
    - Private hire coach companies, etc.
    - They are also used by Taxi's which have their part to play in public transport.
    - Cyclists

I am sure that they would run 24/7 if they had enough customers - supply and demand.

Remember a decade ago when there was much more Nitelinks for example, but because of lack of passengers they were cut.

bk wrote: »

So we make special privileges for private companies to make a profit. IMO, disgraceful.

I have had my arguments with these companies who tried to tell me I could not park. But then again, I'm in Cork.

I would not give TAXI's any privileges either, UNLESS, they were charging the same as the bus and in fact providing a semi humanitarian service.

Too many services out to make a profit and suck the life's blood out if our citizens and given these rights by questionable government policies and civil service administration.

If the millions who lived in Dublin travelled by bus or taxi, then maybe so, but riddle me this, how many busses and taxis would one need to service the need?

THINK about it.

Red Nissan wrote: »
    So we make special privileges for private companies to make a profit. IMO, disgraceful.

I have had my arguments with these companies who tried to tell me I could not park. But then again, I'm in Cork.

I would not give TAXI's any privileges either, UNLESS, they were charging the same as the bus and in fact providing a semi humanitarian service.

Too many services out to make a profit and suck the life's blood out if our citizens and given these rights by questionable government policies and civil service administration.

If the millions who lived in Dublin travelled by bus or taxi, then maybe so, but riddle me this, how many busses and taxis would one need to service the need?

THINK about it.

I would not agree with your point of view in that you would rather have taxis not using bus lanes. If taxis had to use the car lanes, then they would be stuck in traffic jams more, which means the meters would keep running making the taxi driver even more money and costing the customer more.

Same goes for private bus companies etc. Do you really want their passengers spending time in car lanes/traffic jams?

Same goes for private bus companies etc. Do you really want their passengers spending time in car lanes/traffic jams?

TBH, if traffic flow was managed, everyone benefits. A few years ago in Cork I was made an honourary member of the San Fransisco Police by its Mayor, who has that sort of power.

We asked him about our traffic problems, that is Cork, not Dublin, and he said the traffic could not be managed so badly that it had to be policy, but he could not speak for any individual city but he manages much more traffic and he also wondered why the city manager answered the questions he put to the Lord Mayor, "Why is a subordinate answering my questions" he asked.

It is true today, though we have taken on board some of his suggestions, and where implemented they do work. Delaying traffic is no longer a valid strategy.

Maybe I can find his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So we make special privileges for private companies to make a profit.

What's wrong with that if they are providing a valuable public service?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

TBH, if traffic flow was managed, everyone benefits. A few years ago in Cork I was made an honourary member of the San Fransisco Police by its Mayor, who has that sort of power.

We asked him about our traffic problems, that is Cork, not Dublin, and he said the traffic could not be managed so badly that it had to be policy, but he could not speak for any individual city but he manages much more traffic and he also wondered why the city manager answered the questions he put to the Lord Mayor, "Why is a subordinate answering my questions" he asked.

It is true today, though we have taken on board some of his suggestions, and where implemented they do work. Delaying traffic is no longer a valid strategy.

I wouldn't ban all cars from city traffic. Just those driven by motorists with attitudes like yours.

That's what I'd do if I was awarded some mickey mouse 'honorary cop' award. Did you get a nice, shiny badge too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Buses are far too expensive these days, should be a cap at €1, let more private companies in I say, push the price down. Its almost 3 euro just to get into town for me, simply crazy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Buses are far too expensive these days, should be a cap at €1, let more private companies in I say, push the price down. Its almost 3 euro just to get into town for me, simply crazy.

That's ridicolous, there is no way any company could afford to charge such low fares, private or public, they'd go bust very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Ok....so we do that and increase everyone's taxes to pay for it...even those people who have no bus service and also those who never use a bus service at all, such as cyclists

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Are you using Leap? If not, why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I would not agree with your point of view in that you would rather have taxis not using bus lanes. If taxis had to use the car lanes, then they would be stuck in traffic jams more, which means the meters would keep running making the taxi driver even more money and costing the customer more.

I stand to be corrected here, but does the laws for Taxi's not state that the must be engaged in the transport of a passenger in order to use the bus lanes? Not forgetting the famous case of Michael O'Leary buying a taxi plate to by-pass the traffic congestion by using bus-lanes.

I have noticed that the majority of Taxi's coming back into city center are empty then I would say they should use normal lanes in line with other traffic?

Also, empty private min-bus's seem to use the Bus-lanes a lot also. And Taxi's without roof-signs, just with the Taxi stickers seems to use them also.
    With some drivers seemingly regarding the bus-lane as there own private speedway..:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Tenzor07 wrote: »

Also, empty private min-bus's seem to use the Bus-lanes a lot also. And Taxi's without roof-signs, just with the Taxi stickers seems to use them also.
    With some drivers seemingly regarding the bus-lane as there own private speedway..:mad:

Not to mention An Post vans, courier vans, Cash-in-Transit vans, unmarked Garda cars, BMW or Mercedes car drivers........

corktina wrote: »
    Ok....so we do that and increase everyone's taxes to pay for it...even those people who have no bus service and also those who never use a bus service at all, such as cyclists

It should be subsidised by the Government and there is no reason for it to cost the people, why is it when ever someone mentions a change to the way things are being done this paranoia of getting taxed more shows its ugly head? I am sure the money is available, its just tied up in other projects.

Also a lot of the tax we pay is being used for services we will never avail of, Thats normal. We are meant to be a first world country, but our standard of living is dropping day by day with new charges and no pay rises. I would just like to see a first world standard of public transport here.

It should be subsidised by the Government and there is no reason for it to cost the people.

The CIE group already receive a large subvention from the government. Not to mention the massive social welfare bill for those with free travel passes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I stand to be corrected here, but does the laws for Taxi's not state that the must be engaged in the transport of a passenger in order to use the bus lanes? Not forgetting the famous case of Michael O'Leary buying a taxi plate to by-pass the traffic congestion by using bus-lanes.

I have noticed that the majority of Taxi's coming back into city center are empty then I would say they should use normal lanes in line with other traffic?
    :

Once they are working then a taxi may use a bus lane. This covers when they are available for hire, on the way to a booking and when they are engaged with a fare on board. Mini buses and other public service vehicles, with or without passengers on board, are entitled to use bus lanes as well.
    The CIE group already receive a large subvention from the government. Not to mention the massive social welfare bill for those with free travel passes.

But not enough to either bring our bus and train fares down to €1 or to cover the cost of running the services as a whole.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

It should be subsidised by the Government and there is no reason for it to cost the people, why is it when ever someone mentions a change to the way things are being done this paranoia of getting taxed more shows its ugly head? I am sure the money is available, its just tied up in other projects.

Also a lot of the tax we pay is being used for services we will never avail of, Thats normal. We are meant to be a first world country, but our standard of living is dropping day by day with new charges and no pay rises. I would just like to see a first world standard of public transport here.

How many first world capital cities offer public transport use at the cost you're suggesting?

And again: Are you using Leap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭HonalD

I suspect that a number of the responses above are purely to aggravate the situation, so I'll try and be nice about them.

THINK about it.

1. Can't understand your comment re. Special cases for private companies to make a profit. If you can find any reference anywhere on the internet to support what you said then I'll be glad to read it.
    2. Your comment about the role and service of taxis shows that thank goodness we live in a democracy and have legislation as assist the running of the country. And more importantly your comment is ill judged and frankly makes no sense? How can a taxi charge the same as a bus, or a train, or a light rail, or a BRT, or any other mode of transport?
    3. "Too many services out to make a profit", I'm afraid you'll have to come down off your high horse and explain this comment further, it makes zero sense.
    4. I've been "thinking about" your final comment and can't understand what point you're trying to make.

1. Can't think of any comparison between San Francisco and Cork Cities....ok here's one - they both are near a sea.
    2. Can't understand what the Mayor of San Francisco, yourself, the City Manager and whoever else you included in a conversation, are talking about? Did you have a dream one night about it? When did it happen and is there any evidence that you met these guys...all in one room?
    3. Whose suggestions have been taken on board and what are they?
    4. You really need to stop smoking what you're smoking and download Government Policy from the past 20 years including any technical documents and then explain, how you are the only person who thinks its rubbish!

P.S. I'm still trying to be helpful.

paddyland wrote: »
    That's what I'd do if I was awarded some mickey mouse 'honorary cop' award. Did you get a nice, shiny badge too?

You've gotta admit, it was some dream to have! :D

Wow, the Government has a secret stash of money and it should give even more to subsidise public transport more.......

"I am sure the money is available......." You do realise how absurd that comment is, I really hope you do.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Strictly speaking, this thread is about opening up bus lanes to general traffic, not special cases

Cash-in-Transit vans, unmarked Garda cars
    The former may be operating under the direction of the latter.

Both would then be largely exempt from the Road Traffic Act.

• Advertisement

HonalD wrote: »
    Wow, the Government has a secret stash of money and it should give even more to subsidise public transport more.......

"I am sure the money is available......." You do realise how absurd that comment is, I really hope you do.....

Hardly secret, As I said if you bother to read my comment was that the Government have lots of money that they pay contractors and others for thing like Salt for the roads, road signs and other such feeble in devours, they are paying way more that what these services cost and thus wasting money.....money that could be used to further subsidize things like public transport, and bring bus fares down to more manageable levels for the Irish public. You know it makes sense.

Also I dont have a leap card as Public transport has become far too costly and the car is the better option.

4. You really need to stop smoking what you're smoking
    No need for such comments.

@Chris Heilong.

There is no way that a car is cheaper than using Dublin Bus and that is not even taking into consideration than Tax Saver tickets.

Maybe that is the problem, people drive through pure ignorance thinking that it is cheaper than the bus.

@ Chris Heilong

Would be grateful if you could provide evidence that the Government is paying more for road signs and other feeble in deavours [sic] than they should be?

Dublin Bus pay drivers recently took pay cuts because teh Government is basically bankrupt and had to cut its Dublin Bus subsidies.

How you think that the Government has loads of extra dosh lying around beggers belief.

4. I've been "thinking about" your final comment and can't understand what point you're trying to make.

It's a very simple question, if the millions working and living in Dublin all took public transport, how big a fleet of buses, Taxis and trains would we need.

We'd have a fleet of vehicles stuck in their very own special lane-ways and blocking up the city center parking five abreast and soon nothing would be moving.

Our councils and city managers have been following a policy of disruption of private motor transport and manufacturing traffic jams with inefficient traffic lights.

One only has to look at Cork city after a lightning strike or two and all the lights go out, the traffic flows smoothly and there are near empty streets.

Whilst accidents do happen, most of the delay you experience each and every day is created by policy.

The new thinking is to facilitate and alleviate, one ends up with less pollution, less fuel consumption and freer movement of service vehicles.

• Advertisement

It's a very simple question, if the millions working and living in Dublin all took public transport, how big a fleet of buses, Taxis and trains would we need.

We'd have a fleet of vehicles stuck in their very own special lane-ways and blocking up the city center parking five abreast and soon nothing would be moving.

Our councils and city managers have been following a policy of disruption of private motor transport and manufacturing traffic jams with inefficient traffic lights.

One only has to look at Cork city after a lightning strike or two and all the lights go out, the traffic flows smoothly and there are near empty streets.

Whilst accidents do happen, most of the delay you experience each and every day is created by policy.

The new thinking is to facilitate and alleviate, one ends up with less pollution, less fuel consumption and freer movement of service vehicles.

Firstly, I wish to apologise for the comment that earned me a warning.

But, you're not making a compelling argument. It is true that when traffic lights are not working, that traffic can flow better (it is in no way proven that this actually is the case), however, there is legislation, quite rightly, that supports vulnerable road users and it is those humans who need control for crossing roads.

There is a balance to be struck. When taken to the extreme, Motorists want no pesky pedestrians using up valuable green time at lights, pedestrians want no cars on the road so they can cross whenever they want to, bus drivers would prefer to drive without stopping for pedestrians etc.

But clearly this cannot happen. I hope you can post references to best practice which support your own views and I'll gladly read and comment on them.

Hardly secret, As I said if you bother to read my comment was that the Government have lots of money that they pay contractors and others for thing like Salt for the roads, road signs and other such feeble in devours, they are paying way more that what these services cost and thus wasting money.....money that could be used to further subsidize things like public transport, and bring bus fares down to more manageable levels for the Irish public. You know it makes sense.

I'm afraid it doesn't.

I'm afraid it doesn't.
    We would like a higher standard of debate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

@Chris Heilong.

There is no way that a car is cheaper than using Dublin Bus and that is not even taking into consideration than Tax Saver tickets.

Maybe that is the problem, people drive through pure ignorance thinking that it is cheaper than the bus.

Hugely valid secondary point here.

Just that Leapcard as an example...No real appreciation of the capabilities of the ITS System,patchy introduction at levels falling far short of attractive enough to stimulate new business,continuing reluctance to recognize or address ongoing deficiencies in it's operation.

Just one example of a recent potential game-changer left to flap around in the wind....little wonder that the Chris Heilong's of this world are then able to convince themselves of the validity of their theories ? :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

On the other hand if the "Millions" working in Dublin all took private single occupancy vehicles into the greater Dublin area to commute to work, then all you'd see would be single line or lines of bumper to bumper vehicles going no where. Not to mention the quality of life for city residents suffering greatly as the roads outside there doors are turned into slow moving car parks.

Dublin city council have traffic control rooms with computerised systems managing traffic signals, as well as engineers who plan and design traffic flows constantly in line with the levels of traffic. So I hardly think they are doing the opposite!

That's Cork, maybe someone has the figures, but I would say Cork traffic is much less than Dublin by far, turning off the traffic control system in Dublin would be the same as cutting the brake lines on your car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Just that Leapcard as an example...No real appreciation of the capabilities of the ITS System,patchy introduction at levels falling far short of attractive enough to stimulate new business,continuing reluctance to recognize or address ongoing deficiencies in it's operation.
    Alek, are there any plans to remove the driver interaction with Leap and therefore reduce the dwell times (I think that's what you call it)? I don't know if it should be done by removing the ticket purchasing operation from the bus altogether like in London or just introduce a flat fare like they have (had?) in some cities in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dsix

monument wrote: »
    How many first world capital cities offer public transport use at the cost you're suggesting?

And again: Are you using Leap?

In Rome is 1Euro:
    http://www.rome.info/it/trasporti/biglietti/

In Madrid is 1.50Euro:
    http://www.mapametromadrid.net/en-price-tickets-metro-madrid.php

In Paris is 1.70Euro and 1.30Euro if you buy 10:
    http://goparis.about.com/od/transportation/ss/Metro_and_Buses_4.htm

Not too far from the 1Euro he was proposing and they usually last for 1hour, not just for one trip.
    Dublin prices are still quite expensive compared to most European cities, even with a Leap Card. :rolleyes:

dsix wrote: »
    Note that in many parts of France, there is a PRSI-like deduction from your income that goes directly to the local transport fund. You can't buy certain tickets unless you have paid this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

dsix wrote: »
    In Rome is 1Euro:
    http://www.rome.info/it/trasporti/biglietti/

In Madrid is 1.50Euro:
    http://www.mapametromadrid.net/en-price-tickets-metro-madrid.php

Not too far from the 1Euro he was proposing and they usually last for 1hour, not just for one trip.
    Dublin prices are still quite expensive compared to most European cities, even with a Leap Card. :rolleyes:

That's all well and good, but we simply do not have the funds to pay for ticket prices at that level - the subsidy levels have been constantly dropping due to the lack of money at government level, and the transport companies are at breaking point financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

lxflyer wrote: »
    That's all well and good, but we simply do not have the funds to pay for ticket prices at that level - the subsidy levels have been constantly dropping due to the lack of money at government level, and the transport companies are at breaking point financially.

They are at breaking point because they are extremely poorly run. Irish Rail cant seem to understand they should run within in a budget and constantly believe they need more funding. But they havent improve their quality of service or reduced their costs.

Dublin bus had probably the biggest overhaul ever in the last few years. It got rid of routes they were duplicates of each other eg 46a and 10 were practically the same. Drivers pay was cut and buses are more reliable

OAPs shouldnt have free travel. It happens no where else in Europe. Not even in socialist France. A poor broke student only gets a 25% reduction in an adult fare ticket(usually 50% everywhere else in Europe and even in the US). But a wealthy OAP gets free travel. That isnt equality, but stupidity,

• Advertisement
Advertisement