Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for buxus in container

• 08-04-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭

All of my gardening experience so far has consisted of planted trees and hedges etc
    I recently purchased 2 buxus cones in containers.
    How do I care for them ?
    Water them often? Do they need special food ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Any advice appreciated !
    Especially on how often to water and what type of food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Similar here - I've made sure to keep them watered at least once a week in Summer and if they are in a sheltered place like a doorway make sure to water them in Winter also - maybe every other week. Not sure on feeding sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

The answer is, it depends, water it as often as it needs it, generally speaking though box prefer dryish conditions so as the previous poster stated once a week might be enough, again depending on the actual amount of water you give it and the current climatic conditions.
    With regard feeding any balanced fertiliser should be fine, again box wouldn't require too regular feeding, once every 3/4 months should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Put a tray under the container and water from the bottom. This will give you an idea of what the plant uses and avoid overwatering from the top. I generally don't feed mine too much so maby a liquid organic feed with added liquid seaweed once a month in summer (after a good watering). I don't water in the winter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Oldtree wrote: »
    Put a tray under the container and water from the bottom. This will give you an idea of what the plant uses and avoid overwatering from the top. I generally don't feed mine too much so maby a liquid organic feed with added liquid seaweed once a month in summer (after a good watering). I don't water in the winter.
    In my experience trays are a bad idea for someone who is unsure of the correct way to water as the tendency is to keep the tray full.
    Liquid seaweed is considered an organic feed in it's own right and is a good light well balanced feed with trace elements, not sure why you'd recommend using it with another liquid feed as that would result in waste as the plant can only absorb so much nutrients.

• Advertisement
Advertisement