Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First Car

Options
  • 08-04-2014 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am imminently going to purchase my first car. My budget is up to €6k, and ideally I'd like a saloon/hatchback, fuel doesn't bother me, 1.8L or less, ideally less than 50000 miles (realise this is unreasonable), taxed and NCT-ed, and from '08 onwards. Ideally from a garage so I can get a 6-12 month warranty, but it seems that both mileage and price is cheaper when a private seller? So here's some of the cars I've found that fit the criteria, should I avoid any in particular?
    • SEAT Léon '05 1.4L petrol 90k miles
    • Alfa Romeo 159 '08 1.8L petrol 54k miles
    • Alfa Romeo 147 '05 1.6L petrol 40k miles
    • Mitsubishi Lancer '08 1.5L petrol 62k miles
    • Skoda Octavia '08 1.4L petrol 55k miles
    • Fiat Punto '09 1.4L petrol 59k miles
    • Mitsubishi Galant '01 2L petrol 142k miles (no NCT/tax, costs €600 but my dream car were it not for the running costs, very tempted to just get it and run it into the ground, although that may have happened already)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

If it your first car or have you insurance as a named driver already? Insurance on some of the cars may be an issue without it previously unfortunately. So many factors come in to play that the only way to know is ring around and get quotes.

There's a lot of different sized cars there, if it's to learn in I'd buy something disposable so that if it gets a bump in the beginning you won't be bothered and can upgrade with a bit if no claims bonus.

You will buy a petrol post 08 car cheaper than a diesel, if you're doing small miles you're better off in one. Private sales tend to be cheaper but it's a case of buyer beware so get someone to check the car over. Also it will be rare enough to find a dealer offering any kind of a decent warranty on a 6 year old car and you will pay for the privilege.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cars don't suddenly implode when they hit 50k miles, adding that to your criteria will seriously limit your options as that is below average for a 6 year old petrol car. Your list above also consists of cars from 3 different segments ranging from a supermini to medium and large family cars. There are a lot of other options in between that list. Other than them all coming in at under €6k is there any particular one that stands out with you?

Also as it's your first car have you gotten any insurance quotes on any of those cars you have listed? I'd imagine insurance on the 159 would be a bit higher than on a Punto.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭DerTierarzt

If it your first car or have you insurance as a named driver already?

12 years uninterrupted as a named driver, interesting about just buying effectively a castaway if necessary car, take it no need for comprehensive insurance so? It'll be mainly for commuting around north Dublin, really liking the look of some of the '08 Lancers to be honest, think they look a good motor...

• SEAT Léon '05 1.4L petrol 90k miles - ins. €530
    • Alfa Romeo 159 '08 1.8L petrol 54k miles - ins. €535
    • Alfa Romeo 147 '05 1.6L petrol 40k miles - ins. €520
    • Mitsubishi Lancer '08 1.5L petrol 62k miles - ins. €500
    • Skoda Octavia '08 1.4L petrol 55k miles - ins. €500
    • Fiat Punto '09 1.4L petrol 59k miles - ins. €?
    • Mitsubishi Galant '01 2L petrol 142k miles (no NCT/tax, costs €600 but my dream car were it not for the running costs, very tempted to just get it and run it into the ground, although that may have happened already) - ins. €590

Insurance is with a named driver by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What about a Mazda 3 1.6 petrol? Or even a Mazda 6 1.8 petrol?

• Advertisement

Tes drove the Alfa 147, not bad, but as would be expected from a 9 year old car, bit dated. Handling was nice, good bit of poke in the 1.6L, gear change was a bit soft though...

Saw a nice '08 Lancer, got a glimpse of the NCT before the dealer came out, it failed on front suspension and lights. Dealer said it wouldn't be a problem, mechanic was on holidays, when he came back it'd fly through the NCT. Lot of scratches and dents, claimed that'd be fixed too. Then started the engine, kind of whirring sqeaking noise eminating from beneath the hood. He claimed it was because it hadn't been started in 5 weeks, but must be the timing belt, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tes drove the Alfa 147, not bad, but as would be expected from a 9 year old car, bit dated. Handling was nice, good bit of poke in the 1.6L, gear change was a bit soft though...

Saw a nice '08 Lancer, got a glimpse of the NCT before the dealer came out, it failed on front suspension and lights. Dealer said it wouldn't be a problem, mechanic was on holidays, when he came back it'd fly through the NCT. Lot of scratches and dents, claimed that'd be fixed too. Then started the engine, kind of whirring sqeaking noise eminating from beneath the hood. He claimed it was because it hadn't been started in 5 weeks, but must be the timing belt, right?

What colour was this lancer?

Could be the slipping fan belt, that Lancer sounds rough enough and wasn't cared for though, find another example if you like the car overall.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    What colour was this lancer?

I'm intrigued as to why and which car?

bazz26 wrote: »
    Could be the slipping fan belt, that Lancer sounds rough enough and wasn't cared for though, find another example if you like the car overall.

Yeah, doing some trawling now, think they look lovely, just need to keep on looking. Incidentally, it's a long shot, but Mitsubishi are now offering 8 year warranties on their Lancers, where best to find what the manufacturers' warranty on Lancers in 2008 would have been (I've tried googling it), and if say it was still within the timeframe, presume the warranty's with the car and not the owner, right?

• Advertisement

The warranty was 3 years in 2008. The 8 year warranty only started last year

I'm intrigued as to why and which car?

Because I went to see a lancer that was in an absolute state, the car had been driven without the air filter and the bodywork was unreal.

Because I went to see a lancer that was in an absolute state, the car had been driven without the air filter and the bodywork was unreal.

Was it red?

The warranty was 3 years in 2008. The 8 year warranty only started last year

Aha! Cool, thanks man.

Was it red?

Nah, grey.

bazz26 wrote: »

Not a bad car, but like the Mazdas the styling just doesn't do it for me. Yes, might not be the most practical way to approach a new car, but I really want something when I'm like, damn, that's a cool looking car. Not flash, just cool. So think I'll concentrate on finding a Lancer for now. Some of the Alfa's are nice looking too, and cheap, one or two 159 Turismos around looking fine!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

You will seriously regret buying an old Alfa.

I'm sorry, I just can't get over the Lancer, I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame!

2011_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Ralliart_sedan_--_06-30-2011.jpg

• Advertisement

roadsmart wrote: »
    You will seriously regret buying an old Alfa.

I know, I've been on What Car? looking at the reviews, the occasional die hard Alfa fan fighting the good fight, but seem to be trouble when they break down... 147, 159 beautiful looking things though...

I'm sorry, I just can't get over the Lancer, I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame!

2011_Mitsubishi_Lancer_Ralliart_sedan_--_06-30-2011.jpg

Where were you last month when I had one with the kit and wheels to sell!

The lancers you'll see usually won't have that kit on them.

Lamentably so, on both accounts! What year and kit did yours have if you don't mind me asking, and ballpark what were you selling for? Was it the 1.5L? That kit is the RalliArt one I think, but really drawn to some of the factory bodykit, namely the front airdam (ideally with the chromed lower grill like in the Sportsback but can't seem to find it), rear airdam, rear large sporty spoiler and the side airdam foil. Expensive from the Mitsubishi Ireland website though!

Rear%20spoiler%20large%20sporty%20type%20MZ574563EX.jpg

q833.jpg

09, around €8500. Gone now obviously.
    Think the stuff is Ralliart alright.

q833.jpg

09, around €8500. Gone now obviously.
    Think the stuff is Ralliart alright.

Damn son! A beauty! Why'd you part with that beast, looks the biz!

What alloys are on it? Did you purchase it like that or did you get the bodykit put on afterwards?

They're the same wheels as on the grey one you linked earlier, was my brothers, needed a van for work so it had to go.
    They come from factory like that.

They're the same wheels as on the grey one you linked earlier, was my brothers, needed a van for work so it had to go.
    They come from factory like that.

Ah, sorry to hear that. But on the plus side assuages my fears that there's nothing to be afraid of these '08 onwards Lancers. Grand!

There's nothing that really goes wrong on them, they've got a 5 star NCAP, I think they look great, and they're priced very well.

Only downside is they're not as fast as they look.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 625 ✭✭✭roadsmart

To be honest your budget is not equal to your requirements. You'll need to compromise. The only one in your list that's achievable is the punto.

Nice example here; http://cars.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/fiat-punto-1-4-litre-petrol/6601739

Advertisement