Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you found useful for new baby

Options
  • 08-04-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey everyone.

I was just wondering what you guys found really useful for your new baby besides for the obvious clothes and food :)

I love the boxes for the baby wipes :P they are so handy and I also use them for the roll of nappy bags makes things that little bit easier :)

I'm making my list of things I need for baby but i'm wondering what items you found useful that maybe are not essential but make life that little bit easier :)

Anything at all guys.

Thanks in advance. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

A little wicker basket downstairs with nappy essentials and change of clothes in it. Saved me trotting up and down the stairs like a yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Gripe water. Thank you gripe water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

This nappy disposal system. Something I'd never in a million years have bought myself, but we got it as a gift, and I love it! Otherwise you have the choice of either the room ending up smelling of pee (and worse), or else traipsing out to the bin with every nappy. It is SO worth the money.

Also, disposable change mats. I haven't bought these yet, but I saw someone using one the other day and have been looking out for them in the shops ever since. They seem so handy!

You cannot have enough muslin cloths. Seriously.

And something I would not buy if going again - a moses basket. Completely unnecessary, there's no reason they shouldn't go into a cot straight away ... and you can raise the level of the mattress so that the sides are only the height of a moses basket, anyways, so it's no tougher on your back, and they have so much more space for waving their arms around etc without hitting off the edge of the basket ... plus they can see much more from a cot!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 xxINeedHelpxx

Thanks for all your reply's so far :)

Also I have seen the disposable mats in deals you should try there chattastrophe :)

Thanks for all your reply's so far :)

Also I have seen the disposable mats in deals you should try there :)

Deadly thanks! I tried Dunnes and Boots today, with no luck!

• Advertisement

ya the only place I have ever seen them is deals they also have disposable bibs. hope you find them :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Our nappy disposal system was a bit of a waste of money,I used it for about a month and never again but if we were in an apt I don't think I could survive with out it,we never used gripe water, and only now have I finally got plastic boxes for the baby wipes!! Lidl have them atm for baby wipes and anti bacterial wipes.
    Having a basket of clothes and changing stuff or a changing table downstairs makes life so much easier.
    The bouncer was the one thing we could not have survived with out and we had not initially bought one as I did not see it as something we would really need.

Are the boxes for baby wipes really that useful? Sorry if that's a stupid question! :o We just use them straight from the packet, what's the advantage of the boxes?

Are the boxes for baby wipes really that useful? Sorry if that's a stupid question! :o We just use them straight from the packet, what's the advantage of the boxes?

What I find handy is just popping open the box with one hand sometimes they get stuck in the pack were as the box has the next one ready and sometimes the sticky bit on the pack falls off and the top wipe dries out but maybe i'm just a bit a dope lol :) I find them handy for the roll of nappy bags as well no fiddling and keeps them safe from baby so no suffocation :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭theLuggage

I would argue that the Moses basket is great - especially for somewhere for the baby to sleep downstairs. Pain going up and down, when they can just sleep in sitting room. Some people i know had that set up. We had it up by our bed and I loved the way the baby was so close you didn't have to get out of bed to comfort them! We put ours in pram downstairs to sleep. If this had existed I would've bought it:
    http://www.toys.ie/Tiny-Love-3-in-1-Rocker-Napper-!126049-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=55cd1729-ce61-45e5-abf5-5befae02694e

Think it looks fab, and love the way you can pull up the sides to keep draughts out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

This bath: http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-two-stage-ergo-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/

No holding a wriggly newborn baby and being afraid I was going to drop her! It's a big bath and went happily in it until 14 months I adore it!

Also Muslins: invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Muslin cloths
    Bepanthen cream
    Elave bath products
    Cotton wool squares. (Use instead of wipes. Had a pack by the sink, before Nappy changing just dampen two . If used wipes then used squares after)
    Braun ear thermometer.
    Baby nail scissors
    Have calpol, nurofen, and also paralink suppositories in medicine press . High temps will usually peak at approx 1am.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lisha wrote: »
    Have calpol, nurofen, and also paralink suppositories in medicine press . High temps will usually peak at approx 1am.

+1,000!!!!

Nothing is more terrifying than your baby's first sky high fever :( arm yourself well!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

If it is your first and you have the money i found this the best investment ever. It can be used from day 1 and is just amazing. My 9 month old is out of the baby stage as now sitting up and my 2 year old loves it as a beanbag. Can't recommend enough. A pure luxury though.

http://www.littledreamers.ie/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=157_290

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

None of these are essential, but i find them handy.

Bouncy chair with vibrate function on it. Useful when baby is overtired and is finding it hard to go to sleep.

Baby bath support/insert. Freed up a hand when bathing the baby, used this a lot.

Highchair with full recline for naps. Bloom fresco Loft is the one we were given as a very nice pressie. It's splurge-ville expensive, but we used it every single day with our three year old, and now also used for newborn. Adjusts up and down, reclines all the way back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Couldn't live without a sling- probably the single most indispensable piece of equipment for me. I use it at home for doing chores, for 'off-road' walks (beach and forest) and for doing the shopping. I can breastfeed in it while making the dinner or even out and about, it provides the perfect cover, and baby can sleep in it too. IMO a woven wrap is the most versatile but a mei tai is good too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Couldn't live without a sling- probably the single most indispensable piece of equipment for me. I use it at home for doing chores, for 'off-road' walks (beach and forest) and for doing the shopping. I can breastfeed in it while making the dinner or even out and about, it provides the perfect cover, and baby can sleep in it too. IMO a woven wrap is the most versatile but a mei tai is good too.

What sling did you get rosy?

theLuggage wrote: »
    I would argue that the Moses basket is great - especially for somewhere for the baby to sleep downstairs. Pain going up and down, when they can just sleep in sitting room. Some people i know had that set up. We had it up by our bed and I loved the way the baby was so close you didn't have to get out of bed to comfort them! We put ours in pram downstairs to sleep. If this had existed I would've bought it:
    http://www.toys.ie/Tiny-Love-3-in-1-Rocker-Napper-!126049-prd.aspx?qwSessionID=55cd1729-ce61-45e5-abf5-5befae02694e

Think it looks fab, and love the way you can pull up the sides to keep draughts out.

+1. Our house is 3 floors and id crack up if I had to bring baby to 3rd floor everytime I wanted to pop her down. Basinette or cot upstairs and a mobile Moses basket to bring round the house and put anywhere. So handy but no not necessary. We have our basket in the sitting room a lot of the time. She can lie and play in it or fall asleep in it. It's also great for somewhere quick to put her if phone rings, doorbell rings, or you have something you need to attend to. If she falls asleep in it downstairs and we want to pop her somewhere quiet away from her screeching brother we just carry the whole thing upstairs with her in it. Couldn't live without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

I have to say that the best things for us after a month or two was a monitor with video - stopped me from getting up once I kicked the noisy sleeper out of the room and i received as a gift the Magic Galaxy Mobile from M&P he was mesmerized by it from about 6 weeks and he still drags it out now at almost 2 years old. It helped my sanity and bought me 20 minutes of time to get something done.

I buy teh disposable changing pads from Mothercare - they are listed as maternity pads - excellent for travel as they are so big!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

So far the things we have found invaluable are - the bouncer with the vibrate on it, Ifacol (x 1 million!), and the sling. All great for cranky baby!
    Also we have a great little soother steriliser, fits 2 soothers in it, little bit of water and in the micro for 3 min. Brilliant thing when out visiting people and they arent paying attention and drop his soother, his spare and his second spare!

I really want the nappy/ wipe boxes! where did everyone get theirs??

Also love the red smyths bouncer looks great. Gonna get it for my sister for when she starts her family.
    We have about 100 muslin cloths and never use them. Maybe when hes a bit older and teething/drooling ill use more?

We cant get enough mittens - scratches his face ALL the time, always try and get baby grows with the flip over hand covers!

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    +1. Our house is 3 floors and id crack up if I had to bring baby to 3rd floor everytime I wanted to pop her down. Basinette or cot upstairs and a mobile Moses basket to bring round the house and put anywhere. So handy but no not necessary. We have our basket in the sitting room a lot of the time. She can lie and play in it or fall asleep in it. It's also great for somewhere quick to put her if phone rings, doorbell rings, or you have something you need to attend to. If she falls asleep in it downstairs and we want to pop her somewhere quiet away from her screeching brother we just carry the whole thing upstairs with her in it. Couldn't live without it.

Yep, exactly the same as the doomoo - and what I found brilliant about the doomoo too is that because it's a beanbag we used to throw it in the boot of the car when ever we were going anywhere - much easier to transport than a moses basket or a swing.

highly1111 wrote: »
    Yep, exactly the same as the doomoo - and what I found brilliant about the doomoo too is that because it's a beanbag we used to throw it in the boot of the car when ever we were going anywhere - much easier to transport than a moses basket or a swing.

Looks cool but the only negative for me would be that I couldn't leave my 2 week old in this with her little brother running riot around her.... If I even leave the carseat down for a minute he goes over and starts rocking it (not gently)... Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cloth wipes. A million times better for poo than regular wipes.
    Vests and babygros that didn't need to go over the head or hips - buttons at the front.
    My boobs for soothing and feeding.
    Nice breastfeeding clothes so I didn't feel crap and frumpy when feeding - I learned my lesson from first time around.

I'll go against the grain and say I didn't need to use loads of muslins, thermometers or medicines. Maybe I got lucky but my babies weren't particularly pukey or sick. I only used the fancy ear thermometer once. I preferred leaving baby flat on a playmat than in a bouncer. Never used soothers either. Second time I had so little stuff compared to first time and it made life easier.

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Looks cool but the only negative for me would be that I couldn't leave my 2 week old in this with her little brother running riot around her.... If I even leave the carseat down for a minute he goes over and starts rocking it (not gently)... Lol

You'd actually be really surprised - because it's so light - we had ours up on the kitchen table for about 3 months and it was only when she kinda looked like she was starting to try and move that we put it on the floor - it might have even been longer than 3 months - I can't remember.

our little guy was 15 months when our youngest was born - and we had the same concerns but the doomoo lived on the kitchen table or the island for ages.

they are one of those products that need to be seen really - because you may have concerns that the baby might fall out etc. - but once you see them in action, you'd be amazed - I only got one when pregnant on my eldest after my sister in law had one.

anyway, you'd swear I worked for them at this stage - but they are really amazing - but a pure luxury item - my sister chipped in and got it for me as a baby present when he was born - as we knew in advance we wanted it!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

cyning wrote: »
    This bath: http://www.mamasandpapas.com/product-acqua-two-stage-ergo-bath-pearl-white/4538472/type-i/

No holding a wriggly newborn baby and being afraid I was going to drop her! It's a big bath and went happily in it until 14 months I adore it!

+1 on this bath. I had a similar one but a different brand and it was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

lazygal wrote: »
    Cloth wipes. A million times better for poo than regular wipes.
    Vests and babygros that didn't need to go over the head or hips - buttons at the front.
    My boobs for soothing and feeding.
    Nice breastfeeding clothes so I didn't feel crap and frumpy when feeding - I learned my lesson from first time around.

I'll go against the grain and say I didn't need to use loads of muslins, thermometers or medicines. Maybe I got lucky but my babies weren't particularly pukey or sick. I only used the fancy ear thermometer once. I preferred leaving baby flat on a playmat than in a bouncer. Never used soothers either. Second time I had so little stuff compared to first time and it made life easier.

Where did you purchase the vests? I haven't come across any. Handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I got packs of wrap over vests in Mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

lazygal wrote: »
    I got packs of wrap over vests in Mothercare.

Oh I don't know why i had a picture of something else in my head when I first read your post.:)

Thanks for all your reply's guys some great ideas.
    We all definitely need things to make life that little bit more easier with children especially new borns :)
    This is my 3rd so it will be a hectic house in may :)

Dori dormer I bought my wipe boxes in my local chemist. I have seen some in a few different chemists. They are 1.49 in deals with a pack of sensitive wipes inside and I have seen them in some shops. Hope you find some :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

Lansinoh landline cream for your nipples if you intend to breastfeed. I couldnt have survived without this in the first few weeks.

Advertisement