Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you found useful for new baby

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Muslin cloths, (think that's what their called) great for when burping baby, as they will hold anything that comes out of babas mouth. Hard to believe they work so well cause they are so see through and have little holes throughout, but they do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Felt I might as well throw in what we learnt about wipes, both our kids had reactions to most wipes except for Huggies wipes, they are very gentle, Rather than spending a fortune on them, they are often on sale for half or a 1/3 of their normal price in both boots and supervalu.

For anyone who has a baby that is teething, these teething necklaces are great,
    they are worn by the parent so that the baby can chew on them or play with them while in your arms, they are bpa free (dont confuse them with the amber necklaces)
    They are based in Ireland so you get your orders very quickly!
    http://majackalcreations.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/majackalcreations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Those are strings of beads... I wouldn't be in a rush to use those in case they break and the child chokes on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Please please let's avoid the subject of teething necklaces. It never ends well......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

thecelt wrote: »
    Felt I might as well throw in what we learnt about wipes, both our kids had reactions to most wipes except for Huggies wipes, they are very gentle, Rather than spending a fortune on them, they are often on sale for half or a 1/3 of their normal price in both boots and supervalu.

I think that's the most sensible and easiest thing to learn for any new parent. All baby products go on sale at least once every 2 months and almost every month. Stock up on your nappies and wipes from almost any supermarket and snacks etc are usually 3 for 2 in boots. To this day, it astounds me when I see parents paying €16/17 for a pack of nappies in Supermarket A when you know they are half the price in Supermarket B.

On a side note, white reusable nappy cloths (available from mothercare etc) are so much better than muslin. They don't shed and they soak spillage, puke etc whereas in my experience liquids just rolled off muslin. They also dry in about 20 minutes once washed. At 13 months, we still use those nappy cloths all the time, would be lost without them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Please please let's avoid the subject of teething necklaces. It never ends well......

Wait... there's a product for babies that is designed to function from around their neck?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Cloth nappies are even better value than disposable ones. I firmly believe more people would use them if they knew how easy they are to use and how much you save. Cloth wipes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Things I found (and still find useful as baby is just 6 months old):
    - Wedge cushion for baby with reflux
    - Tall changing tables to save your back (both husband and I are tall and lots of changing tables were made for people much shorter so we ended up getting the Stokke Care changing table and it is worth every penny)
    - On demand TV subscription and mobile device that it works on (many is the day/night I've been wedged to the same chair feeding the whole time and being able to have tv on low in the background saved my sanity). Baby goes down at 7 come what may since he was 8 weeks so husband and I can sit down and watch some television together and feel normal
    - Glider chair with footrest (again for feeding as you can gently rock baby)
    - Crib/cot on wheels (being able to wheel baby around the house with me or into bathroom without disturbing them amazing)
    - A mobile (mine doesn't play music or doesn't have lights but does have the animals looking down at him and he talks to those animals now when he wakes during the night and settles back to sleep)
    - Video monitor
    - disposable changing mats (tesco usually stocks them)
    - Lanolin cream to help with soreness
    - A changing bag for my husband (it annoyed me when he took off with my purse, keys and phone one morning for over an hour so I could do the grocery shop in peace)
    - Online food shopping and delivery (this is brilliant and you need to eat well, particularly if breastfeeding)
    - A house coat :-) basically a zip top to wear over normal clothes when feeding so you just take that off when going somewhere and you don't have an embarrassing spew down back moment out
    - Baby medicine and mammy medicine as the days of nipping to the shop to pick up stuff are long gone
    - Grobags
    - Food for breastfeeding mother made up and in arms reach

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Wait... there's a product for babies that is designed to function from around their neck?

There are but the poster specified they weren't talking about them. They're talking about ones that the parent (realistically the mother) wears so the baby has something to gnaw on whenever they need it. They are also helpful for nursing as older babies like to fiddle as they feed and having something specially for them is better than having them grab you hair, nostrils, eyeball, etc. I got a couple of plain wooden ring ones and a few cloth ones like these.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91079449/simple-wood-nursing-teething-necklace?ref=shop_home_feat

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baby-Breastfeeding-Nursing-Necklace-x-3-Soft-Cotton-Beautiful-Colours-Hair-Tie-/221158294035

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If you're using formula milk at some stage, then I (the chief bottle maker in our little family!) found this fantastic:
    https://eurobabynursery.com/ie/product/clevamama/formula-mixer
    Cheap, and very effective, as I hated shaking bottles around the kitchen like a spanner. The top comes off so you can add it to the steriliser. Since he doesn't use bottles anymore, it has been really useful for mixing Mocha's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭thecelt

Thanks iguana ,

I guess I should have been more detailed but it was late when I posted!
    They are made from a similar type material to bottle nipples etc,
    Personally they are a great idea as they tend to help keep the baby distracted when feeding, and when in your arms they have something to chew on.
    They have a unisex foot pendant as well as womens necklaces/pendants/bracelets.
    I guess I should mention they have a break away safety clasp on the back as well!

iguana wrote: »
    There are but the poster specified they weren't talking about them. They're talking about ones that the parent (realistically the mother) wears so the baby has something to gnaw on whenever they need it. They are also helpful for nursing as older babies like to fiddle as they feed and having something specially for them is better than having them grab you hair, nostrils, eyeball, etc. I got a couple of plain wooden ring ones and a few cloth ones like these.

http://www.etsy.com/listing/91079449/simple-wood-nursing-teething-necklace?ref=shop_home_feat

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Baby-Breastfeeding-Nursing-Necklace-x-3-Soft-Cotton-Beautiful-Colours-Hair-Tie-/221158294035

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Have to say I'm a plus 1 on the whole tv/Netflix thing, especially if you're breastfeeding. I think I spent the first six weeks either on the bed or the couch and being able to watch something and pause it if I needed to kept my sanity! I love to read but holding a book, let alone concentrating on it was impossible so some mindless tv was great. I could watch netflix on the tablet in bed too.

We were also given a rainforest swinging chair thingy which my husband complained was too big for our house. He now says he would get rid of the car before he'd lose it. It is our fail safe, go to, when-nothing-else-will-work item. She lasts longer there than anywhere else and will nod off if she is any way cranky/snoozy. It's the only reason I'm clean somedays!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Have to say I'm a plus 1 on the whole tv/Netflix thing, especially if you're breastfeeding. I think I spent the first six weeks either on the bed or the couch and being able to watch something and pause it if I needed to kept my sanity! I love to read but holding a book, let alone concentrating on it was impossible so some mindless tv was great. I could watch netflix on the tablet in bed too.

Another thing that's great for breastfeeding is an e-reader. Tbh, it took me quite some months to move on from bubblegum fiction but it was great to be able to have access to lots and lots of books all in one hand while feeding him.

And another great thing was a thermal mug with a lid. That way my hot drinks stayed hot even when there was a long break between it being made and me getting a chance to drink from it. And the lid, while not a complete failsafe, prevents you from splashing hot liquid on your baby if you take a sip while they are in your arms.

One tip I got and have passed on is a bit odd but a sanity saver. Have your bag with all the baby stuff in it ready to go beside the door before you go to bed every evening. Nappies, wipes, toys, food for you and baby, wallet, keys and whatever other things you find useful. Getting out and about can be really daunting the first few times and being organised with the bag makes life easier, You're not worrying you've forgotten something and you've no excuse to stay put (unless you want to, but I often needed to get out for some headspace). Knowing that you're ready to go just takes the pressure off.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

I would recommend a wedge cushion for reflux too. Even if your baby doesn't have reflux, a lot of babies like the slight incline. I have a clevamama one.

Also, this may be unnecessary for most but I find our tommee tippee perfect prep machine a lifesaver. Fresh bottle ready in less than a minute!
    There's no hassle with warming or prepping 6 bottles a day, no waiting for kettle etc.

A nice big electric steriliser so you can do one lot of bottles and other baby things a day.

Muslins, Huggies wipes, grobags, cellular blankets, lots and lots of bibs; cotton, some plastic backed and some bandana bibs for show.

Soft dungarees to put over babygros make an easy outfit for when they are tiny. You really can't be bothered dressing them up everyday, keeping them dry and clean is a challenge!

Glycerine and aniseed sugar free syrup for crying emergencies.

I would also recommend that you set up a baby area in the kitchen for bits, and keep a changing area downstairs too. It makes it easy to change and if you're like me, gave my house more order which was essential in the early days.

A good bouncy or rocking chair. We upgraded to one for birth to toddler recently because it is such a lifesaver. If I'd known at the start I would have just bought the expensive one straight away.

God, she is 7 months now and I'm only starting to feel confident enough to answer threads like these!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

lazygal wrote: »
    One tip I got and have passed on is a bit odd but a sanity saver. Have your bag with all the baby stuff in it ready to go beside the door before you go to bed every evening. Nappies, wipes, toys, food for you and baby, wallet, keys and whatever other things you find useful. Getting out and about can be really daunting the first few times and being organised with the bag makes life easier, You're not worrying you've forgotten something and you've no excuse to stay put (unless you want to, but I often needed to get out for some headspace). Knowing that you're ready to go just takes the pressure off.

A big yes to this. You may find that by the time you get yourself organised, baby organised and the bag organised, its time for a nap, then you miss the bus, then its lunchtime etc so before you know it, half a day has gone by. I'd even say go as far as having an 'outside' outfit organised, (even for both of you!) to help speed along the getting ready process then its a matter of change baby, feed baby, leave the house and enjoy being out and about.

Regarding the changing bag, keep the same things in the same pockets if you can. I knew instantly where the calpol /wallet/keys etc was so that I could get it one-handed with very little rummaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Neyite wrote: »
    Regarding the changing bag, keep the same things in the same pockets if you can. I knew instantly where the calpol /wallet/keys etc was so that I could get it one-handed with very little rummaging.

^^^This!! I am very OCD about what goes where in the bag - so, as Neyite says, I can find it, one handed, around the back of the buggy with a crying baby on my lap, but also so I can shout at OH, "will you get me the bonjela? It's in the back left hand pocket, under the pack of wipes!" !!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

nikpmup wrote: »
    ^^^This!! I am very OCD about what goes where in the bag - so, as Neyite says, I can find it, one handed, around the back of the buggy with a crying baby on my lap, but also so I can shout at OH, "will you get me the bonjela? It's in the back left hand pocket, under the pack of wipes!" !!!

Our first proper fight (after 9 years of civil discussions) was with me rocking a wailing child and him firing all the contents out of the nappy bag in a mad panic to get the calpol and making a big mess in it. I got thick with him, giving out because I was telling him exactly where it was and he still couldnt find it, he got thick and snappy back, and then I snapped at him.

He still thinks I shouted because the baby crying was stressing me out. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Speaking of which, can any of you girls recommend a really good changing bag? I'm a bit cross eyed with the breadth of choice available!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

Merkin wrote: »
    Speaking of which, can any of you girls recommend a really good changing bag? I'm a bit cross eyed with the breadth of choice available!

I have two - pink linings twin changing bag and another one I got from amazon which is more acceptable to hubby when he has the girls! The pink linings one I got as a gift and really like it but if I had bern buying fir myself I would have gone for the baby moov bag.

Having said that many bags are quite expensive but I can't see how you can justify the price. The one I got dad is a sports type bag in red and black to match the pram. Its got a good few compartments. Its water resistant, machine washable and can be worn messenger style or as a back pack. It can be stuffed to the max and in which case its quite large but if bringing less stuff you just zip up the expanding panels and its quite neat. I got it in the normal bags section, not the baby section and it cost the princely sum of €25 inc postage! I actually prefer it to the expensive one I have!

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »

I got this one in black as a gift from all my siblings, but it was on half price offer. I thought it was huuuge when I first got it, but once I put the essentials in it, it was full!

The lining unzips so when you are done using it as a changing bag it can be a weekend bag. In fact, with the lining taken out, I used it as my labour bag.

Danni Minogue has the same one. :cool:

My sister has a gorgeous one. Its a bit late to text her (first trimester of second pregnancy) as she is probably asleep, but hers looks like a designer handbag. I'll text her tomorrow and link it.

I've a Storksac and a Pacapod. Neither scream Mumsy Change Bag so I think they're worth it. I often use just the pods from the Pacapod with an ordinary handbag. I find the compartments in proper changing bags useful.

I bought the cheapest change bag I could find, €30 in Smyths - I just cant understand spending huge money on a bag that's gonna be smeared in baby's food and stuffed with toys and bibs!

Now, some stuff I did find very useful :

Pram hook
    - great for clipping the change bag or shopping to the buggy.

Buggy handlebar caddy coffee, keys, phone, purse, bottle, toys all at your fingertip.

Silicone steriliser tongs
    - these are amazing, so much easier to use than a hard plastic tongs for pulling teats through the collar!

Nasal aspirator - much easier to use and more effective than a bulb syringe for when your baba is all congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Hello Lady!

nikpmup wrote: »
    I bought the cheapest change bag I could find, €30 in Smyths - I just cant understand spending huge money on a bag that's gonna be smeared in baby's food and stuffed with toys and bibs!

Now, some stuff I did find very useful :

Pram hook
    - great for clipping the change bag or shopping to the buggy.

Buggy handlebar caddy coffee, keys, phone, purse, bottle, toys all at your fingertip.

Silicone steriliser tongs
    - these are amazing, so much easier to use than a hard plastic tongs for pulling teats through the collar!

Nasal aspirator - much easier to use and more effective than a bulb syringe for when your baba is all congested.

+1 on the pram hook and nasal aspirator. Also saline spray or drops are good to have in your box of tricks!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Bosley1421

I have a Pink Lining Bramley tote and a Babymel stripy satchel. The Pink Lining one is more like a tote handbag, but with lots of pockets, and handy for when I'm wearing her in a sling and the Babymel one attaches to the buggy easily. BUT the PL one is completely wipe clean on the outside which is essential, my other has coffee and baby stains all over! Not washable in the machine either.

I bought a storksak bag (in leather) and it's very elegant and doesn't look like a changing bag at all; I don't worry too much about it getting dirty but I also bought the pacapod pods and use them in the storksak. There's a feeder pod and a changer pod and all dirty stuff goes into them so my storksak doesn't get dirty. My husband has a messenger style changer bag that's wipe clean and he loves it.

Just to add a playmat is very very useful and can be used from day 1. I didn't use a bouncer until my son was a couple of months old and used to put him on his playmat on a wedge cushion as he had bad reflux.

Waterwipes too are amazing; they're more expensive than other wipes but have nothing much in them and clean up mucky faces and hands without leaving a rash behind. My son has very sensitive skin so other wipes made his rash worse.

Before I would have said a baby bath was an unnecessary expense as you can always wash them in the sink but after bathtime was an ordeal and taps were in the way I bought one when he was 8 weeks old that had a newborn insert in it. My two hands were free and he could splash his hands and feet loads. We use it all the time and is great when you go somewhere that doesn't have a bath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

Before I would have said a baby bath was an unnecessary expense as you can always wash them in the sink but after bathtime was an ordeal and taps were in the way I bought one when he was 8 weeks old that had a newborn insert in it. My two hands were free and he could splash his hands and feet loads. We use it all the time and is great when you go somewhere that doesn't have a bath.

Another thing about the baby bath is that you can give him a bath while on the floor ... I find it a lot more comfortable that way, especially if I'm bathing him on my own. He's so tiny and squirmy, I'd be terrified of dropping him when taking him out when he's all wet and slippy! So instead I give him the bath on the floor and have a towel laid out next to the bath so I can easily wrap him up straight away.

Waterwipes too are amazing; they're more expensive than other wipes but have nothing much in them and clean up mucky faces and hands without leaving a rash behind. My son has very sensitive skin so other wipes made his rash worse.

+1 - I try to get these for my son's face since he's started on solids. Other wipes were leaving a spotty rash around his mouth, these don't. They are pricey, but I reserve them just for his face!

• Advertisement
Advertisement