Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

clouds melted in past hour, back to blue skies and 25c.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Went out for a 2 hour walk in that heat, I would not advise it !

Lovely day now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Can someone tell me the answer to what is probably a very basic question.
    Under what conditions are daytime temperatures for any area taken?

I have a thermometer on the back of my house which is north facing and shaded and about an hour ago it read 24C. Today I bought a new thermometer and placed it at the front of my house in full sun.
    I watched the dial go up to 34C and told everyone that temperatures were above 30c which was remarkable but believable.
    I now come back to it and it reads 50C or at least as far up as it is able to go. My friends say bring it back it never reaches 50C in Ireland.
    Is my thermometer broken or are temperatures averaged between sun and shade or only taken in particular conditions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

High Today 26.1°C so far (3.32PM) which is only about 1.5 degrees lower than mickger844posts station record from last summer.

Ambersky wrote: »

I have a thermometer on the back of my house which is north facing and shaded and about an hour ago it read 24C. Today I bought a new thermometer and placed it at the front of my house in full sun.
    I watched the dial go up to 34C and told everyone that temperatures were above 30c which was remarkable but believable.
    I now come back to it and it reads 50C or at least as far up as it is able to go. My friends say bring it back it never reaches 50C in Ireland.
    Is my thermometer broken or are temperatures averaged between sun and shade or only taken in particular conditions?

The temp is measured in the shade and sheltered from the wind, and the device is free standing so it does not absorb heat from a wall etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

Lol, it's in direct sunlight so it's absorbing the Sun's heat - just like the way the metal on a car gets hot in sunlight.

Thought this was common knowledge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

WEB_sat_ir_irl.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Official met thermometers have to be in a ventilated box shielded from the sun (Google Stevensons screen), positioned 2m above the ground well clear of man made surfaces like concrete, tarmac etc.

The highest temperature ever recorded on Ireland was 33C well over a hundred years ago so safe to say your 50C reading is a bit off :pac:

The north facing shielded one you mentioned would give a far more accurate reading than one in direct sunlight though still won't be perfect if it's on a concrete wall

Its still heating up! 26.6°C

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Yesterday and today have been the best days here since last summer.

Wall to wall sunshine, very hot in the sun but nice and cool in the shade due to a welcome breeze from the east.

We(Carlow) were the hottest place in the country yesterday 27.4 and again today 27.7.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Incredibly our Max temp of 26.6c was recorded at 8.13pm.

A nice little breeze out there now with a temp of 20.8c

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

Terrible day here in north tipperary ,torrential rain for 3 hours today with thunder and lightning.The river near me burst its banks.bales of hay went flowing down the river .Electricity is gone since 4pm and the water is not safe to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ch20

ch20 wrote: »
    Terrible day here in north tipperary ,torrential rain for 3 hours today with thunder and lightning.The river near me burst its banks.bales of hay went flowing down the river .Electricity is gone since 4pm and the water is not safe to drink.

electricity is back now at 11.23pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

ch20 wrote: »

This is brilliant! :D

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,196 ✭✭✭pad199207

Two days later the east will get a thunderstorm and ull get here....

"Why do the east get everything?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

and the usual cork city shield is working, because it clearly was working today. :rolleyes: seriously bishopstown by pass onwards thunderstorms, Cork city nada

currently 18C here in cork city. *faints*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Is the front/cloud system that's moving easterly towards Ireland, is it going to get caught up in the movement over Ireland and stay away for today (Friday) or is it going to move overland? It looks pretty close to be holding off till Friday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

that front will start affecting the far West around 6pm.

It marks a big change in the weather

The rest of Ireland will be hot and sunny till thunderstorms this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Going to be a roaster today !

However weekend looking a lot cooler and unsettled than previously predicted by the models.

- Already 23c at Phoenix Park at 10am!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Looking like a yearly high for me today. Previous high was 24.3C
    Reached 24.1C at 10:44am

Heatherbrook

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Going to be a roaster today !

However weekend looking a lot cooler and unsettled than previously predicted by the models.

- Already 23c at Phoenix Park at 10am!

24 here in Waterford already. At this rate today could well end up warmer than the hottest day last summer here.

welcome to the hottest day of 2014.

positive: what a great summer were having :)

negative: its all downhill from here :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

enjoy it while it lasts, unlikely to see a day this warm and sunny till another future summer! Parts of the east could still see up to 21c in places next week so won't be that bad.

there is a few more short warm spells in the offing in August
    so its not all doom and goom

Certainly better than 2007 - 2012

pauldry wrote: »

I hope we never see such a bad run of summers again in my lifetime, the past 2 summers has restored faith that Ireland can enjoy warm, sunny summers just like the rest of Europe. A little bit of rain is probably needed at this stage, garden is starting to turn yellow/brown with so little rain since the end of May. Ground has been bone dry here for the most part over past 2 weeks. It's been well over a week since Ive seen any sort of rain or drizzle.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

pauldry wrote: »

Here's hoping!
    When do you reckon the nice spells will be in August?!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

27.6c here at 12.30pm! Phew!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

With winds next week back to a westerly direction, I'm guessing it will be hotter here due to mountain fohn effect warming in any sun. Its only 23C here now, was getting close to 25 last week.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Easily the best day of the week in Achill. Warm hazy sunshine after the fog burned off and a fresh breeze. I think next week could be better for us here on the western fringes than this one.

Advertisement