Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

The cove beach Arklow lunchtime today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The hottest day of the year in Galway city :)

'Highest Temperature 26.6°C 15:41 on 25 July'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

sligo hit 26.3c at 3pm !!! hottest day :cool::cool::cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lovely breeze here, taking the edge off the temps. Still very warm in the sun though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

26c here now, hottest day of the year! may scrape a 27c later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,017 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Gonzo wrote: »
    26c here now, hottest day of the year! may scrape a 27c later.

Some temp showing here !!

http://www.ospreyweather.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Kildare and Carlow the hottest counties in the country once again, Laois too.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

It briefly hit 28.2C at 15:59 and dropped back a bit since then but building up a bit again now 27.9C currently. Nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Shannon and Mt Dillon both showing 27C on the 1600 report. Plentyful 26's as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Screen max of 28.8c here in South Laois today. T'was a hot one!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Not as warm here today as yesterday but still glorious sunshine all day. Max 25.2 Currently a pleasant 21.8c
    www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

27.7c in oak park the tops

26.9c sligo town
    27.4c markree
    26.7c finner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Hazy sunshine all day in Galway city
    Max temp was 27.1C making it the warmest day of the year so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Was in Howth today,beautiful day with a very light sea breeze & not a bulmers drinking tug to be seen which was a surprise :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ambersky wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the answer to what is probably a very basic question.
    Under what conditions are daytime temperatures for any area taken?

I have a thermometer on the back of my house which is north facing and shaded and about an hour ago it read 24C. Today I bought a new thermometer and placed it at the front of my house in full sun.
    I watched the dial go up to 34C and told everyone that temperatures were above 30c which was remarkable but believable.
    I now come back to it and it reads 50C or at least as far up as it is able to go. My friends say bring it back it never reaches 50C in Ireland.
    Is my thermometer broken or are temperatures averaged between sun and shade or only taken in particular conditions?
    Harps wrote: »
    Official met thermometers have to be in a ventilated box shielded from the sun (Google Stevensons screen), positioned 2m above the ground well clear of man made surfaces like concrete, tarmac etc.

The highest temperature ever recorded on Ireland was 33C well over a hundred years ago so safe to say your 50C reading is a bit off :pac:

The north facing shielded one you mentioned would give a far more accurate reading than one in direct sunlight though still won't be perfect if it's on a concrete wall

Evelyn clearly reading boards! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

There was a big temperature difference between Limerick City and kilkee co. Clare, a popular beach resort this Friday evening. I left Limerick around 4.15 pm. I was getting a reading in my car 28c and fair weather. Before I got to Kilrush I entered dull and misty weather and the reading started to drop quickly. By the time I arrived into kilkee around 5.45 pm the reading was giving 19 or 20c. The temperature report at Shannon Airport at 5 pm was 27c and fair. Apparently it was foggy in Kilkee all day and just started to clear just before I arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Much more comfortable today , don't think i've ever been so happy to see a cold front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Damp, low cloud and 17C in Donegal this afternoon, feels positively cold after two weeks of temps in the high 20s in London, good to be home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Stop the clocks its the weekend when the majority of people are off and guess what its cloudy, dull and misty.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Cloudy so far here today with the odd outbreak of light rain,still fairly warm here, temp 21.1c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Where did the sun go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We finally have Rain here in the northeast, not a whole lot, but the grass is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Brightening up here in Waterford and turning into another nice warm evening. 23 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Aquagakka

Lovely cool, clear night here in Derry City after some very dark cloud and some showers.

Some sleep tonight maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it's currently 15C here in cork, it's cooler by 2 degrees compared to last night. still melting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

It's a great night to watch the stars. I'm just back from taking the dogs out and it was fabulous. Not a cloud to be seen and no moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

It's been another really nice day down here. Not as warm as during the week, but lots of sunshine and highs of around 22-23.

I've honestly lost count of how many dry, warm sunny days we've had down here since the start of the season. It certainly feels far more than any other summer I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

As far as Bray is concerned, I'd say this year beats 2013. Even today there was a decent amount of sunshine and according to Trogdors weather station todays high was 24ºc.

Tried to explain it to a few customers today who commented that they heard the forecast say it would be quite a bit cooler than last week but it actually felt warmer to them and actually told a few people a few days ago to expect it to get warmer not cooler here despite what the forecasts said.

Just stuff I've picked up from here basically. That a national forecast talking about cooler temperatures was referencing the 26/27ºc of the midlands and west dropping to low twenty values, that the air temp Bray was getting beside the Irish sea was already 21-23ºc anyway and far from experiencing a relative drop in temps like other areas of the country we would in fact likely see an increase in temps when the wind swung around behind the Wicklow/Dublin mountains and introduced a 1-2ºc Fohn effect.

I'd love to see a day by day sunshine and temp stat for Bray (specifically) from Summer 1995 and compare it to Summers 2013/14.
    I remember that year as wall to wall sunshine and blue-skies for June/July and August. However it could be a selective memory effect. Of course I know that its widely recognised all over as The Summer but was it really 90 days of uninterrupted Blue Skies like I remember?

We all know that even in this small country their can be vastly different weather on a county by county basis. That for many/most? this Summer hasn't been a patch on 2013 as far as blue skies is concerned putting aside temperatures and rainfall. And as for 1995, "Go way outta that will ye" :D However, maybe there was a bit of cloud around in Bray in 1995 that I selectively forgot. Maybe like my opening paragraph one shouldn't compare Brays Summer 2014 weather to the national recollection of the Summer of 1995 but to Brays own stats for that Summer. Maybe Summer 1995 actually had the same amount of cloud around on various days as Summer 2014 did for us. Maybe we didn't get the daily 25ºc+ like the rest of the country in 1995 but then again we never do with the moderating influence of the sea. Maybe in 1995 Brays temps hovered around the low 20's too.

Maybe........Summer 2014 in Bray was indeed better than 2013 and (Blasphemy) maybe it wasn't very far off Bray Summer 1995?!?!? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Video

Im still clinging onto hope that high pressure will build right on top of the country like it did last year and during june this year. The models aren't showing it yet though but lets keep our fingers crossed. Its been good for the past 2 days here in the west but it had been cloudy for weeks before that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Currently thinking it will be a somewhat cloudy and wet start to the summer season with generally an improving trend and a good chance of heat wave conditions developing at times in July and August, but also with more widespread heavy thunderstorms than last year (which still managed a few). There's a forecast contest thread, I am thinking of assembling a "boards consensus" forecast based on the entries, possibly weighted somewhat by experience making seasonal forecasts.

As you say, not anything like a fully developed science, but my strong hunch supported by some research is that two regimes will fight it out for supremacy, namely cloudy humid and showery vs hot and dry.

MTC's suggestions from earlier in this thread are certainly looking good so far. Quoted post was May 31st.

Did I miss a proper summer prediction from MTC?

Advertisement