Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Currently thinking it will be a somewhat cloudy and wet start to the summer season with generally an improving trend and a good chance of heat wave conditions developing at times in July and August, but also with more widespread heavy thunderstorms than last year (which still managed a few). There's a forecast contest thread, I am thinking of assembling a "boards consensus" forecast based on the entries, possibly weighted somewhat by experience making seasonal forecasts.

As you say, not anything like a fully developed science, but my strong hunch supported by some research is that two regimes will fight it out for supremacy, namely cloudy humid and showery vs hot and dry.
    Cheers MT,hope your research is right about the hot & thundery

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

A very nice looking FI on today's 06z GFS. Just a shame it's FI!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

A very nice looking FI on today's 06z GFS. Just a shame it's FI!

gfs-0-384.png?6

This mornings ECM looking interesting for next week! Sadly its a long way off and a bit too good to be true. Nice to see though.

IaDXELk.png
    Zbfu6wM.png
    odk2WE7.png
    9OpMf4e.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

10438165_308039229363763_374773821150752788_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Hitchens wrote: »
    10438165_308039229363763_374773821150752788_n.jpg

Still laughing at that one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

My personal favourite is this Tumblr by Eoin Whelehan :D

f003b839c1969baa04d851182c6c0743_zps6fe9b61d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

gfs-0-150.png?6

ECM1-144.GIF?08-12

It's great to see a period of fine, settled weather coming up shortly. It was hinted at in FI for a while but the high looks to be a lock now for at least a week hopefully longer. Low 20's later getting up to mid 20's look possible in places. Of course the exact orientation of the high, cloudcover, sea fog etc. all have to be taken into account but fingers crossed. :cool:

Warmest day of the year so far here in Waterford even though it's partly cloudy. Looks like areas in the west could see the best of the weather next week as they will be the most sheltered from the easterly breeze if the high sets up as the models indicate. Good chance of places reaching mid-20's eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It reached 24.6c air temperture here yesterday according to my outdoor thermometer. Not bad. It felt very warm.

Im in west clare btw.

nnbKD9D.gif
    d91.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Anyone north of Athlone, towards Roscommon direction ?

Spotted 2 lenticular clouds out that direction if anyone is further north than me and can get a photo of them ? :)

Still 18 degrees here in Waterford at 22:25. First night that its felt warm this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Still 18 degrees here in Waterford at 22:25. First night that its felt warm this year.

Sat outside a pub in Dublin on both Friday night and Saturday night watching football. Friday, it got a bit chilly. Yesterday it was so lovely and balmy all evening (and this was up til 12:30am).

Make the most of the warm, settled weather over the next few days as it looks like this phase will be ending around Friday.

Still a chance for some areas to reach mid-20's this week.

Fingers crossed them for a return to warmer conditions towards the end of the month, though this is really more of a hope than anything. :P

Make the most of the warm, settled weather over the next few days as it looks like this phase will be ending around Friday.

Still a chance for some areas to reach mid-20's this week.

Fingers crossed them for a return to warmer conditions towards the end of the month, though this is really more of a hope than anything. :P

The GFS is hinting at a resurgence:
    gfs-0-192.png?0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Tindie

I know this Odd for this time as I was on twitter, it type in snowing for fun , Few people posting it's snowing in Sweden think!

It's may think any every snowed in UK in the summer months?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BqOf734IIAARdWm.jpg:large

Tromsø (very far north of Norway) this morning according to twitter https://twitter.com/Meteorologene/status/478401839411785728/photo/1

5.8 degrees now though (phew!)

http://weather.cs.uit.no/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Tindie wrote: »
    I know this Odd for this time as I was on twitter, it type in snowing for fun , Few people posting it's snowing in Sweden think!

It's may think any every snowed in UK in the summer months?

Snow fell in parts of the UK in early June 1975.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I know an elderly chap who says snow in the Kerry Hills in June sometime in the 1940's.

Sun index was 7.6 at 1p.m.:http://www.uvawareness.com/uv-index/uv-index.php?location=dublin

Will it be sunny on the 21st? It would be interesting to see how high it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

What's the general consensus for next week?

(Why didn't we book our week away this week!!! :( )

Cherrycola wrote: »
    What's the general consensus for next week?

(Why didn't we book our week away this week!!! :( )

Bit too early to say. It looks like temperatures will peak tomorrow and then gradually lower over the following days. At the moment next week looks like temps in the high teens, with more cloud in the mix but sunny spells possible. Basically not as warm and settled. That could still change though.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭gothwalk

Friends in Finland are reporting sleet and snow right down the country today. Meantime, it's 23.5C in the shade in Maynooth, according to the house thermometer there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

wow, look at ME's latest temp forecast for tomorrow!! Hot with max of 29 in places - that is a signficant upgrade from 26!!

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭oak5548

ongarboy wrote: »
    wow, look at ME's latest temp forecast for tomorrow!! Hot with max of 29 in places - that is a signficant upgrade from 26!!

http://www.met.ie/forecasts/

Their 5 day forecast map is still only showing about 23-24 at the highest. Certainly nowhere near 26 or above.

Something doesnt seem right to me but one can hope! I'd love 29 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Heading over to London tonight and back here on Friday night. I'll probably chill out in some park some time on Thurs/Friday. I'm on the Aircoach and it feels like its high 30s with aircon broke. :(

Greystones was hazy now and again today but been quite mild and clear.

Met Eireann have issued a weather warning:

http://www.met.ie/nationalwarnings/default.asp

National Weather Warnings

STATUS YELLOW

High Temperature Warning for Connacht

Temperatures will reach highs of between 27 and 29 degrees during Wednesday.

Issued: Tuesday 17 June 2014 18:00
    Valid: Wednesday 18 June 2014 12:00 to Wednesday 18 June 2014 18:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭DKO

Weather in Finland (Kotka on the Baltic east of Helsinki) was cold and drizzly, a cold northerly blowing, 5 degrees with a real feel of 1. How well I end up working here this week with the lovely weather back home!

Advertisement