Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Weather 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hows Saturday looking lads and lassies east coast?

Anyone? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

tomorrow should be a mixture of cloud and sunny spells in the east. 18-22C, so reasonably warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Gonzo wrote: »
    tomorrow should be a mixture of cloud and sunny spells in the east. 18-22C, so reasonably warm.

Tomorrow is Friday, I'm talking about Saturday tks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Saturday will be rain for first half of the day, clearing to cooler, fresher weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Peaked at 24.6c here so far today in the sunshine near Arklow! Warmest day of the year with a very light land breeze.Feels totally balmy!
    Wasnt expecting this and confirms my view of what a marvelous summer we are having so far, in this neck of the woods anyhow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭illumin

There's been torrential rain in south dublin for the last hour. Some summer this is! :p

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

illumin wrote: »
    There's been torrential rain in south dublin for the last hour. Some summer this is! :p

Indeed, 10.0mm here so far...in that's in the last hour. Wettest day of the summer so far.

Up to 11.0mm now and concert kicking off in Marley Park...35,000 very wet people!!!

Lol.
    Suns still out here west of Arklow an 19c :D (24.6 was the peak around 1)
    Not a drop of rain.
    Theres large cb's and blackness developing nearby though,wouldn't a few cracks of thunder now crown whats been a wonderful day here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Good 6 hours of solid rain today, would guesstimate easily 15mm.

Place sodden.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Hardly any rain in D 15.

Even though the heavy rain from the south of the city knocked off the sky signal for a good bit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Ended up with 18.0mm today here on the south side.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Only 6mm here, wonder am I under recording?, may be time to check for spiders etc in the station and give it its annual cleaning.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Good 6 hours of solid rain today, would guesstimate easily 15mm.

Place sodden.
    not as much as 1 drop in Arklow,yesterday or overnight and yesterday the hottest of the year here.
    Place dustbowl :(

Sunny and already 21.5c in Arklow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

Cloudy in Laois but very pleasant with a temp of 18.1c, in what has been so far a great summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭highdef

Supercell wrote: »
    Only 6mm here, wonder am I under recording?, may be time to check for spiders etc in the station and give it its annual cleaning.

Your figures may well have been accurate. The rain was very localised both in terms of where it covered and its intensity. I was in work in Inchicore for about the first 30 - 45 minutes and it was a complete downpour most of the time with rivers of water flowing right across the road outside, not just along the road edges. Heading westbound on the Naas Road I had to get fuel at the Topaz not far from the Red Cow. It was still very heavy there but I could see from looking around that I was right at the edge of the heavy precip. I also noted that the clouds were moving in all directions and there was a lot of scud present and no wind to speak of. I'd say the rain may have been convergence based combined with some UHI input.
    Anyway, I then travelled from junction 9 (Red Cow) to 7 (Lucan/Liffey Valley) and the rain was stopped there. The ground was still wet however once I passed junction 3 (Lucan) westbound on the N4, the road suddenly became dry, the sun was beaming down and the temperature was showing 22c, up from 16/17c in the rain.....still a decent temperature for such heavy rain though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Thanks highdef, I contacted Doc on PM and he was kind enough to check some other significant rainfall dates for comparative purposes on his station and they went the other way which ties in exactly what you are saying above.
    I was a bit surprised at the time as it did rain very heavy for a short time here, and as the crow flies he isn't more than 5 or 6 km from me at a very rough guess. The still air conditions really would have made huge contrasts over a short distance possible as you point out above.
    Good call!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Serious soil moisture deficit in the Arklow area.
    Just a 60sec splash so far today leaving the ground bone dry :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where's this rain?! The back garden is starting to look like it did last July! More yellow than green. Actually its great, we really have been in the dry zone lately in the easht/south easht.

Sun fitfully breaking through as I type.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thought it was supposed to rain today? Its roasting here in cork & dry

• Advertisement

Supercell wrote: »
    I was a bit surprised at the time as it did rain very heavy for a short time here, and as the crow flies he isn't more than 5 or 6 km from me at a very rough guess. The still air conditions really would have made huge contrasts over a short distance possible as you point out above.

Just 0.4mm of rain recorded at Casement on Thursday so just goes to show how localised the showers were.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

From what i gathered there was never meant to be too much rain today especially around the east coast with most of the frontal stuff fragmenting before hitting here.

Really got toasty in the sun in the warm sector this morning.

dull and drizzely here all day, but still warm at 20C. today would have been a cracker if the sun came out. Next week looks like it could be slightly warmer in the east than it is right now.

Meanwhile in what is lately costa del arklow,todays high in sunshine was a balmy 22.7c
    Just incredible given the forecast..
    Reporting live from the south wicklow dust bowl where in this rural spot its still 18c as I type...

WB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

There is a Supermoon this weekend bit too cloudy in Galway now to see it though....

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/supermoon-season-first-of-three-massive-moons-can-be-seen-tonight-9602000.html

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

drizzly a lot the past few days but very humid.

from January to July the temperature has been higher than normal over 80% of the time by looking at met eireann graphs for stations;.

A very warm year indeed.

Think Winter might have a sting in its tail

pauldry wrote: »
    drizzly a lot the past few days but very humid.

from January to July the temperature has been higher than normal over 80% of the time by looking at met eireann graphs for stations;.

A very warm year indeed.

Think Winter might have a sting in its tail

I was thinking same thing, I think we may see more of the white stuff this winter after 3 very snowless winters in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

Gonzo wrote: »
    I was thinking same thing, I think we may see more of the white stuff this winter after 3 very snowless winters in a row.

I hope so but I am avoiding that rollercoaster this time of year.

Last year is was going well in the beginning. Higher snow cover than normal over Russia then BAM the US stole the entire winter.

From October 2013 to March 2014 I recorded 32 frost mornings

October 2012 to April 2013 I recorded 93 frost mornings

October 2011 to April 2012 I recorded 28 frost mornings

October 2010 to March 2011 I recorded 81 frost mornings.

Okay I don't know why I am talking about frost in July. Might be the lack of sleep in this warm nights. :confused:

Nearly time for the winter thread.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Stunning day in Costa Del Bray today. Hot and predominantly Blue Skies. Thank You Wicklow/Dublin Mountain Cloud shield!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Not sure what to think of the forecast.
    It's certainly unusual. In west Clare expect about 2 days of thunder a year. Now it looks like we. could get a nice few thindery showers with hot and humid weather

Advertisement