Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So heavy rain (spoilers)

Options
  • 08-04-2014 8:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

So heavy rain. I don't know exactly how people reacted to it when it came out over 4 years ago now, but I recently went back and played it through again after getting the platinum back at launch, and its only now I've realized what a terrible game and story it is. I haven't played beyond yet, but I can't imagine its much better.

To be more specific [The identity of the killer. What the ****. Now maybe its not a bad idea, having one of the playable characters being the killer, but here's the thing, the game gives you the ability to see your players thoughts. I can see shelbys thoughts. Shelby doesn't think anything about his role as the killer, he plays as a regular character. The revelation is a load of ****e. And shelbys whole motivation is a bunch of rubbish, Ethan jumps out in front of a car at the beginning of the game to save one of his son. His son dies. So shelby thinks 'I will now test him to see if he is a good father' ....what?

Your FBI agent has an unexplained drug habit. Ethan has a habit of waking up with origamis in his hand which was never explained. The female character Madison is almost entirely redundant.

And the gameplay, isn't any good. Apart from the well known tank controls of the game, there's also not much to do generally. Maybe its meant to be seen as an interactive movie, I don't know. But its boring, and the story doesn't prop it up (like just as an example of a game I really like with a good story backing up average gameplay, bioshock infinite)

For someone like Cage who claims to try to advance video games into meaningful ways, and who talks about emotions in games a lot, his games aren't very good, and his understanding of emotion seems limited to pain, fear, sadness. And he doesn't even seem to get those very well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Father dives to save son from car , car hits you yet you survive and child dies

Yup great logic there from mr.cage.

Also that whole shopping centre thing was stupid 1. A kid walks off to the clown with the balloon grand kids do that and the father corrected him not to wander off then why Dafuq would the child go all the way downstairs and make his way to the front entrance , cross the road and the dopey look as if his parents were outside when they were just upstairs.

And of course the wife screams for jason while you lie there , possibly dead aswell but not a damn was given.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I have in the past stated that Heavy Rain is one of the worst written things in history - irregardless of medium - largely due to how cheap the ending is.

I stand by that statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It has major flaws, but gimme something like Heavy Rain over Infamous etc any day. One of the most interesting games of the generation, and a must-play, in my book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

But infamous is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jason.... Jaaaaason..... Jason ... JASON! ... Jason ... JASON ... Jaaaason ... JASON! ... Jason ... Jason ... JASON! .... Jason ... Jason ... Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaason ... JASON!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I have in the past stated that Heavy Rain is one of the worst written things in history - irregardless of medium - largely due to how cheap the ending is.

If it wasn't for the Kingdom Hearts series I'd agree.

Since Heavy Rain is so light on gameplay it really needed a good story to stand out and it utterly failed. The story is not just bad it's insulting to the player. It's like David Cage thought his audience was so dumb that they wouldn't recognise the gaping plot holes (
    if Shelby was the killer than most of the stuff he does makes absolutely no sense whatsoever
    ) and the red herrings, most of which have already been mentioned.

I really think this game should get pulled up a lot more on it's awful treatment of the character Madison. It's downright sexist. Madison is a woman and therefore uses her body to get through most situations instead of her brains. There's the awful sleazy lap dance scene and then when she jumps into bed with Ethan for no reason other than she is a woman. The scene with her with the psycho in the basement was bizarre and random. However the absolute worst was the sequence in the appartment that looked like an attempted gang rape. It was only in there so that Madison could get her baps out in a shower scene and added nothing at all to the overall narractive because... it was all a dream.

Hey I'm the only woman character. I better have a dream sequence in which I fight guys in my bra which has literally no connection to the plot at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mr E wrote: »
    Jason.... Jaaaaason..... Jason ... JASON! ... Jason ... JASON ... Jaaaason ... JASON! ... Jason ... Jason ... JASON! .... Jason ... Jason ... Jaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaason ... JASON!

That coupled with the dodgy controls and gameplay mechanic were enough for me to dump it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I put David Cage and Peter Molyneux in the same category. They promise you fantastic and wonderful things when hyping their games, but in the end you get a passable (leaning towards good) game without all the promises. I wonder if the vision of their games is better in their heads, but they just can't get it fully across to the rest of the development team; or maybe they run out of time/money before they can create what they fully want.

They should collaborate and see what happens :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

I knew what to expect beforehand from Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy, so I enjoyed it for what it was (more of an interactive story than an actual game).

It's certainly flawed, but entertaining enough if you understand what the developers were going for IMO.
    irregardless

That's not a word.

The plot absolutely ruins it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I must play it again to see what my feelings towards it are like now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

I really admired it at the time. It was great to see a AAA video game move in a different direction to the pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Fakman87 wrote: »
    I really admired it at the time. It was great to see a AAA video game move in a different direction to the pack.

I appreciate someone's trying it, alright, but the Shelby stuff in the end, namely the Clock Shop schmozz, just pisses on decent storytelling from such a great height it qualifies as actual heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

I liked Fahrenheit a lot - even passed the point where most got sick of it. I didn't find Heavy Rain as bad as some people here found it but definitely didn't find it particularly good. I don't plan on playing Beyond.

I'd like to play beyond to see if Cage has made any advance at all. Not very hopeful though.

I don't remember seeing anyone post to suggest that Beyond is an improvement on Heavy Rain. The opposite, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

I liked Heavy rain a lot, thought it was more interesting than the latest realistic brown FPS at least.

However, zero interest to replay it. The game is an experience and you just have to go with it. David Cage even said it doesn't stand up to repeat sittings.

I was happy with how I played it, go with the outcome you got, YouTube the rest.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

The Shaun glitch was pretty fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Retr0gamer wrote: »

I got 249 Jason's in 30 seconds :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In the course of the game, you have to tie the necktie for a police captain who is about 55 years old.

The game gets so stuck for you to do something, that they have to come up with ridiculous things for you to do like tying the necktie for a 55 year old man who is the head of that police department's homicide division. They have to play it off as though this police captain, who as well as having been trained in a police academy and spending years working his way up through the ranks of the police force, has suddenly developed the inability to tie his own f*cking necktie, even though he likely wears a f*cking necktie every f*cking goddamn day because he's the f*cking head of the homicide department and has been wearing a f*cking tie in every other f*cking part of the game he was in.

That's why in retrospect, the game really is awful. They constantly realise you haven't needed to press anything in 30 seconds, so they come up with ridiculous things which take you out of the story just so it still feels like a game.

(Sorry, that f*cking necktie bit really, really annoyed me)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

The good bits in fact, say Ethan cutting off his own finger, Chasing the drug dealer through his flat, are ruined because of their context in the story. For me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh yeah, and that action sequence with Madison being attacked in her apartment which turns out was actually just a dream can f*ck right off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

I'm guessing Cage's inner monologue is this:

AHA! I'm a genius, I have written an amazing new story, full of twists and turns and ludicrous situations! Go me. I shall wait some time, and return to it for another look.

Later:

Oh dear, this is not my opus. No, Hollywood will reject this, even the brain in a jar that writes CSI will reject this.

What should I do? I spent so much time on... WAIT! People who play video games accept terrible plots. All I have to do is add some interactive bits and no one will ever know!

And soon, I, David Cage, will take over the world...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Problem is, he's writing in a field in which the fact isn't all that much appreciated or supported or developed, specifically within the AAA industry. so any auld wally can come along and feel distinguished for even the slightest of efforts. Though Cage's fatal flaw is that what he did with the plot outright disrespects the player/viewer and can't even adhere to its own continuity; you might as well have been told Shelby was a yak the whole time.

And just a general notice, the retort of 'pffffttt, it's just a game' is precisely why the likes of Cage can creep in and drop his turdy turds.

But then as most of us on here know, thats just not true. Apart from the fact Cage's own game was called an 'interactive drama' there's plenty of games where the story drives the gameplay, so its more than just a game, Last of us, bioshock infinite, etc, and thats just recent examples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I hate you.

Advertisement