Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So heavy rain (spoilers)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I wouldnt touch anything David Cage had a hand in after Fahrenheit

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I actually remember enjoying the game and at least being interested in the story due to the mysteries in it...until it all goes to **** with all the plot holes.

Beyond is probably a better game but I wasn't as forgiving this time regarding the story.

On Cage making more games.. I don't really mind that. If nothing else they are different. It's up to you the consumer if you want to play it or not.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

David Cage could potentially make a good game if he would hire an actual writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    David Cage could potentially make a good game if he would hire an actual writer.

You get the sense he has far too big an ego to do that though..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

cloud493 wrote: »
    And shelbys whole motivation is a bunch of rubbish, Ethan jumps out in front of a car at the beginning of the game to save one of his son. His son dies. So shelby thinks 'I will now test him to see if he is a good father' ....what?

I played it at launch so my memory is a little fuzzy but did the fact Ethan jumped in front of a car have anything to do with Shelby? I thought it was just an unrelated new tragic event to happen to Ethan.
    Your FBI agent has an unexplained drug habit.

What is there to explain?
    For someone like Cage who claims to try to advance video games into meaningful ways, and who talks about emotions in games a lot, his games aren't very good, and his understanding of emotion seems limited to pain, fear, sadness. And he doesn't even seem to get those very well.

This is true. This game is so overbearingly grim and humourless that it can be hard to take it seriously, especially when contrasted with how overbearingly cheerful it is at the start.
    Pushtrak wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing anyone post to suggest that Beyond is an improvement on Heavy Rain. The opposite, I think.

Indeed. I'm not sure if it's actually worse or if people are just sick of this stuff but Beyond definitely had a worse reception than Heavy Rain.
    tok9 wrote: »
    You get the sense he has far too big an ego to do that though..

True, although the same could be said of Dan Houser. For some reason video game director's are very reluctant to hand over script writing control to others.

I played Heavy Rain when it came out (it came with the PS3 I bought) and generally liked it. Not saying it was fantastic but it was an interesting development. The story seemed like general airport-novel drama, the acting had some issues and the character models occasionally slipped into uncanny valley but I still liked how much you could affect the story. I'd give it a C but maybe I would think differently if I went back to it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well Ethan jumps in front of the car. Jason dies. Ethans grief and refusal to move on means his wife leaves him, hence why he only gets shaun at certain weekends.

I see what you mean though and no its not entirely connected.

Advertisement