Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squatting...Its been a while

• 08-04-2014 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

hey all,

Just looking for a little advice, I've not done much squatting in nearly 5-7 weeks, had an issue with my piriformis...

So i gave squatting a go today, was only able to get myself upto 100kg for 1 rep, failed at 105kg:( So thats a 20kg loss minimum:(:(

So I was thinking of doing something like Smolov Jr for my squat to try and supercharge myself back to were i was...Along with a bit more foam rolling and flexibility work for improved squatting...

What do ye guys think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Tbh you can probably do some linear progression to get back to where you were. No need to over complicate it when it's getting back what you previously had. The strength will come back very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Linear progression + more time under the bar and you'll be back to where you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

For what it's worth, I got lazy over Christmas and New Year after setting a new squat PR in early December.

When I got my arse in gear again in February... my first session back: 75% of my December PR felt heavy on my back and I struggled to hit it for a double.

I didn't even consider something complicated: linear progression is all you need to get back to previously established baselines.

Give yourself 4 - 6 weeks (depending on just how weak-as-a-kitten you feel) of squatting twice a week (heavy day, light day) and plan to work back up to your previous PR by adding 5 - 10kg per week on your heavy days.

- Heavy days: First couple of weeks work with 2/3 sets of 5, then move to triples, then doubles. Don't do any heavy singles until you're re-testing.
    - Light days: 3/4 sets of 10, use a weight somewhere around the 50% mark of that week's heavy weight.

Plan to match your previous PR on the final day of the cycle and re-test to see if you've built beyond that. It's a pain in the hole but that's the price we pay for time off (be it due to injury, laziness, whatever).

My re-test is actually this Sunday at the IDFPA Nationals... we'll see how I get on so you might want to wait until then to see if this plan is any use! ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

For what it's worth, I got lazy over Christmas and New Year after setting a new squat PR in early December.

When I got my arse in gear again in February... my first session back: 75% of my December PR felt heavy on my back and I struggled to hit it for a double.

I didn't even consider something complicated: linear progression is all you need to get back to previously established baselines.

Give yourself 4 - 6 weeks (depending on just how weak-as-a-kitten you feel) of squatting twice a week (heavy day, light day) and plan to work back up to your previous PR by adding 5 - 10kg per week on your heavy days.

- Heavy days: First couple of weeks work with 2/3 sets of 5, then move to triples, then doubles. Don't do any heavy singles until you're re-testing.
    - Light days: 3/4 sets of 10, use a weight somewhere around the 50% mark of that week's heavy weight.

Plan to match your previous PR on the final day of the cycle and re-test to see if you've built beyond that. It's a pain in the hole but that's the price we pay for time off (be it due to injury, laziness, whatever).

My re-test is actually this Sunday at the IDFPA Nationals... we'll see how I get on so you might want to wait until then to see if this plan is any use! ;-)

What weight would you suggest starting at on heavy day? With a current 1rm of 100kg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

What weight would you suggest starting at on heavy day? With a current 1rm of 100kg

About 85kg

• Advertisement
Advertisement