Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Hotel in New York!

Options
  • 08-04-2014 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi All! I am heading to New York in November with my boyfriend, we are looking for something quite central in New York and something very comfortable. Can anyone recommend somewhere! There are loads on the net but would love to hear suggestions. Also we are budgeting $300 per day per person spending, would you think that is enough?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭efc67

ClareP1983 wrote: »
    Hi All! I am heading to New York in November with my boyfriend, we are looking for something quite central in New York and something very comfortable. Can anyone recommend somewhere! There are loads on the net but would love to hear suggestions. Also we are budgeting $300 per day per person spending, would you think that is enough?!

Would depend on what you intend doing regarding your budget....do you have a budget for your hotel??, one bit of advice, i wouldn't bother doing the outlet centres, you can get just as good bargains in Lower Manhattan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Avoid central - thats my experience. I stay here when i go to NYC- http://www.acehotel.com/newyork

Everywhere is accessible from it. I also met Mark Ronson there...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ClareP1983

efc67 wrote: »
    Would depend on what you intend doing regarding your budget....do you have a budget for your hotel??, one bit of advice, i wouldn't bother doing the outlet centres, you can get just as good bargains in Lower Manhattan

We were thinking in the region of maybe €800/900 each. We would like something with a big room, its our first holiday together and would like something kinda romantic!

I might be asking for the impossible in NYC!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm just back from New York and while it doesn't meet all your requirements the hotel we stayed in was perfect for us. It's the Wall Street Inn, we got a great deal through ebookers as they had one of their regular discount vouchers working when we booked.

The room was huge by New York standards and had a really good sized bathroom. Continental breakfast was included.

The hotel is within 5 minutes walk of 3 subway lines and right beside the Staten Island Ferry terminal. There were also some great pubs and restaurants nearby, though it was quite quiet on the Saturday night as it's really an office area.

http://www.thewallstreetinn.com/

I had previously stayed in the Fitzpatrick Grand Central which is usually a lot more expensive than the Wall Street Inn but I'd probably prefer the wall street inn.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭SQ2

Stayed a few times in NYC, but found you don't spent much time in your hotel room! I spent too much time walking to, and travelling on, the subway, mostly to Times Square...
    For me, Times Square Quality Inn was cheap and smack bang in the middle of things. Rooms were small but comfortable about 7 years ago. Really small and slow lift though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I will never understand why people waste their time in those outlet places - you are in one of the most amazing cities in the world - see that not the inside of stupid shops!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

We stayed in Night hotel a few years ago, it's right beside Time square and was a good price by New York standards, the only thing is the room was a bit small, the bathroom was huge though and the bed was massive, the entire hotel is painted black, the bed is black the walls are black, I loved it:),
    Take a look at the photos on their site though because you will love it or hate it, some bad reviews because people were walking into things it's so dark!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

I recently stayed in Row NYC (previously Milford Plaza) which is just off Time Square and loved it. Some of the rooms can be small but we requested a corner room with a king bed and it was great.

http://rownyc.com/

Park central, between times square and central park, both 5 mins walk.

Reasonable rates and some of the larger sized bedrooms I've stayed in in NYC.
    Subway at both corners.
    I've stayed a couple of times because it suited so well.

I wouldn't worry too much about romance, you will hardly see the inside of your room!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

I stayed in Millenium ONE UN. 5 minutes walk from Grand central Station. Very good hotel.

http://www.millenniumhotels.com/usa/oneunnewyork/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

If you like old-fashioned luxury, The Plaza is cool, but expensive - http://www.fairmont.com/the-plaza-new-york/?cmpid=google_plz_search-brand-us_the-plaza-e-revsh&s_kwcid=TC|1029164|plaza%20hotel||S|e|36584661757&gclid=CN33iNyi170CFYMcOgod5DAAQw

For modern luxury, the W hotel on Times Square was nice, and the service was excellent. We told them we were checking in for our anniversary, and by the time we got to our room there was a bottle of champagne and a box of expensive chocolates, on the house.

Here are some more recommendations from a NYC magazine - http://www.timeout.com/newyork/travel/romantic-hotels-in-nyc-six-spots-to-put-you-in-the-mood-for-love

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out an appartment to rent on www.homeaway.com.... friends did it last last and found it much cheaper than hotels

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

check out an appartment to rent on www.homeaway.com.... friends did it last last and found it much cheaper than hotels

FYI, generally illegal to rent an apartment for less than 30 days unless it's aparthotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Dont mind that.

Another place I used before. Excellent service: http://www.nyhabitat.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭littlelulu

I stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn and it was great. We walked everywhere so its very close to Times Square, Macy's etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Pythia wrote: »
    FYI, generally illegal to rent an apartment for less than 30 days unless it's aparthotel...

Tell that to the thousands of people who rent out apartments here via Airbnb and other sites every day. OP - don't waste your money on a hotel. New York is horrible for hotels - tiny rooms, totally overpriced and they're generally in the worst neighborhood to stay in - midtown. Midtown (including Times Square) is fine to visit once or twice on your trip if you want to see it, but it's a terrible place to stay. No good restaurants or bars, just a bunch of office workers and other tourists who are being ripped off in the tourist traps.

Use airbnb.com and find a place downtown (East Village, West Village, Soho, Nolita, etc) that has plenty of good reviews from previous tenants. You can get a great apartment for around $200 per night and will have a kitchen and a far better location with tons of great restaurants, bars, venues, people watching etc. nearby. This is coming from someone who has lived here (nyc) for 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭RachealB

Try the sancuatry hotel on w44st, near timesquare, i think that is the street, really romantic small hotel if that if that is what you are looking for. You get better rates if you pay in advance with the comfort inn manhattan on w34st.. Got a rate of 244 e a night for november and this high season, they have free brekkie, right across from macys nice spot, easy walks. Nice irish bar across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

The red roof inn on 34st its right beside Macy's and the empire state ,not expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

beaver111 wrote: »
    The red roof inn on 34st its right beside Macy's and the empire state ,not expensive

It's called NYMA now. I have stayed there 3 times and I love it. Free continental breakfast too. Perfect location, near to a giant subway station and rooms are decent.

Advertisement