Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters?

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

What's going on tonight in the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

someone may have fallen/jumped into the corrib? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

reports are sayin it was a woman that fell in

copter has been there over 90 mins at this stage

the new suicide watch movement is needed more than ever before

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Suicide-Watch/246126262241549?fref=ts

details of the first meeting on the facebook asap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Suicide-Watch/246126262241549?fref=ts

details of the first meeting on the facebook asap
    Why would you mention the suicide page right after saying a woman "fell in"? Jumping the gun a bit I'd say.
    Whatever it was, hope the person is found safe and well. Search and rescue teams have been far too busy lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Connacht Tribune FB page reports about an hour ago.

"Gardai, Fire Brigade and rescue helicopter are involved in a rescue operation over the Corrib near Quincentenary Bridge"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Why would you mention the suicide page right after saying a woman "fell in"? Jumping the gun a bit I'd say.
    Whatever it was, hope the person is found safe and well. Search and rescue teams have been far too busy lately.

why must you jump down my fcuking throat everytime I post in this section of boards??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

I wonder what age that woman was. I seen a woman in her early 20s walking towards the water down at South Park earlier over near the Causeway.The tide was way out and she kept walking on the sand right out to the edge of the shore and I stopped my run to watch her for a few minutes as I thought she was going to keep on walking into the sea and id have to run in after her.She stopped and maybe she was just taking photos as she was standing there for a few minutes and I went on then but I was thinking "i hope I don't hear a helicopter in awhile searching the water":(.I wont sleep tonight now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Please don't speculate on the current event. We don't have any info whatsoever yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hope she gets pulled out still breathing.

A young lad went in on Sunday evening, the fire service pulled him out between WT and SW bridge. Well done those lads, fast response and a young life saved. The poor guy was struggling with the emergency services personnel and had to be cuffed by the cops.

I was walking on Friars Walk (think that is what is called) and witnessed the rescue.

Hope these events won't be used as political ammo in the upcoming local elections.

Respect to all the emergency services for their continued work and training around the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭Raving_Magic

Getting more worrying by the day what's happening to our city :( Hope we get good news tomorrow morning

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

why must you jump down my fcuking throat everytime I post in this section of boards??
    Chill the beans. I asked a simple question. I don't have any beef with you, don't recall coming across ya before. Just feel it's too early to be speculating is all.

• Advertisement

Hope these events won't be used as political ammo in the upcoming local elections.

Of course they will.

I've got a vote going for any candidate who will get more effective barriers installed at the most common points where people enter the water.

I'll give my 2nd preference to anyone who will support a "Waterside watch" campaign / system which doesn't use the "s" word.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,486 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I hate hearing the helicopter tbh, it just means someone else is in the water.

It's certainly far more regular than years gone by. Would like to see stats on such.

Hope the person was rescued

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

It seems that last night was a false alarm.

https://twitter.com/endacunningham/status/453819746048569344

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

The helicopter(s) were around from 2115 ish-2330. Was there more transfers from/to the hospital? I saw the coastguard one take off from the hospital, switch on it's searchlight and hover over the Quincentenary..then it worked slowly downstream

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Ah yes another ghoul thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭folbotcar

Look people, UCHG is the go to hospital for most emergency medical situations on this side of the country. So don't assume every time you hear one that it's suicide. It is an emergency just like hearing an ambulance siren. Today I heard the Coastguard Sikorsky and later heard and saw the Air Corps air ambulance.

The reality is that Galway is a small city, you'd know that if you saw it from the air. So a big loud helicopter can be heard all over town.

But hearing the Coastguard Sikorsky late at night always gives me chills. Someone is always in big trouble when you hear that. Bear in mind that they are based in Shannon yet hardly a day goes by without seeing or hearing them nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

They are based in Shannon, Sligo , Waterford and Dublin the ones normally in here are Shannon and Sligo. Rescue 115 Shannon was into UCHG this morning, Rescue 118 from Sligo was in at around 5pm and the Air Corps Medevac 112 was in at 6-30 pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,155 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Ah yes another ghoul thread.

Ah yes youre still reading them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

I see they are making great progress with the new helicopter pad in the field beside the hospital, new road in for emergency vehicles and it looks like they will be filling concrete soon on the new pad, they have cut down some trees with more to follow. Wonder if they will fit night lights around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I've got a vote going for any candidate who will get more effective barriers installed at the most common points where people enter the water.

I hope you are not being serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Aerohead wrote: »
    I see they are making great progress with the new helicopter pad in the field beside the hospital, new road in for emergency vehicles and it looks like they will be filling concrete soon on the new pad, they have cut down some trees with more to follow. Wonder if they will fit night lights around it.

its supposed to be a temporary facility

Gambas wrote: »
    I hope you are not being serious.

I am 100% serious.

Prevention measures are part of the solution.

Have you visited Waterford, and seen the barriers that they have on the waterfront there? Absolutely no reason why we don't have the same at Spanish Arch - and I can name one life that would have saved in the last 2 years if we did.

And I've lnked to some relevant research in another thread.

Really, saying we should focus on mental health services and not build effective barriers on river entrances (as opposed to the current too-short ones) is like saying we should focus on driver education and not bother with median barriers on dual carriageways.

We need both/and, not either/or.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

its supposed to be a temporary facility

Aware of that but they operate 24/7 and make as many night landings there as they do in the day, so they would require some type of lights for safety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Ah yes youre still reading them.

Yes and I will continue to do so and I will continue to make the same comment.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89400535&postcount=22

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Red Pepper wrote: »
    Yes and I will continue to do so and I will continue to make the same comment.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89400535&postcount=22

No you won't, you're on the verge of trolling so knock it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

I am 100% serious.

Have you visited Waterford, and seen the barriers that they have on the waterfront there? Absolutely no reason why we don't have the same at Spanish Arch - and I can name one life that would have saved in the last 2 years if we did.

Really, saying we should focus on mental health services and not build effective barriers on river entrances (as opposed to the current too-short ones) is like saying we should focus on driver education and not bother with median barriers on dual carriageways.

This isn't a creche. If an able-bodied adult wants to go into the water there is no practical way of preventing them from doing so. What are you proposing is done at the docks, where the same thing happens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

No you won't, you're on the verge of trolling so knock it off.

I have to take umbrage with this post. I do not think you can accuse someone of trolling because you do not agree with his/her opinion or because the truth hurts some people. I see it as an abuse of your moderator status. I agree with RedPepper's general point here even if I do not agree with his use of the term 'ghoul'. I lost someone very close in the river Corrib (my username backwards) several years ago. I remember spending many days looking for him. Most were people were genuinely concerned and sympathetic and then there were people who pretended to care but really wanted a body and some gory details, perhaps to make them feel better about their own lives, I do not know. The people that start and fuel these threads remind me of the latter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 383 ✭✭Mike747

I am 100% serious.

Are you saying we should put huge barriers along the Spanish Arch so no one can sit along the banks? People will always throw themselves into that river unfortunately, doesn't mean one of the best amenities in the city should be ruined for everyone else.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Birroc wrote: »
    I have to take umbrage with this post....

The correct method to take umbrage is to contact the mod through private message. We do not discuss mod actions on thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

The correct method to take umbrage is to contact the mod through private message. We do not discuss mod actions on thread.

ok, will do.

Advertisement