Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helicopters?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Mike747 wrote: »
    Are you saying we should put huge barriers along the Spanish Arch so no one can sit along the banks? People will always throw themselves into that river unfortunately, doesn't mean one of the best amenities in the city should be ruined for everyone else.

The point of the barriers is that it makes it harder to jump into the river at the easiest points - the bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭Gambas

antoobrien wrote: »
    The point of the barriers is that it makes it harder to jump into the river at the easiest points - the bridges.

I think you are seriously underestimating the determination of people in this frame of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Gambas wrote: »
    I think you are seriously underestimating the determination of people in this frame of mind.

i would aggree with this

bubble wrapping ain't a viable solution
    if they intend on doing it they will find alternative means.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah this has gone way off topic. There are search and rescue helicopters which sometimes land at the docks (or at least to) if they have found something relevant to search (like a mobile phone etc) And there are the helicopters that bring medical cases to the hospital.. The SAR helicopters tend to hover, the medical ones drop straight into the pad at the hospital.. Barriers or not on the river, why is that here?.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Gambas wrote: »

Oh I know, if somebody is determined to drown themselves, they can just walk along one of the paths along the river and jump in there (one of the weak points in the proposal), but it will it harder to simply decide to throw oneself into the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

antoobrien wrote: »
    Oh I know, if somebody is determined to drown themselves, they can just walk along one of the paths along the river and jump in there (one of the weak points in the proposal), but it will it harder to simply decide to throw oneself into the river.

Or fall in by accident because you've gone on a blinder and stumbled.

Not every self-harm death is due to deliberate intention. Nothing we can do will stop the truly determined. But simple safety measures could reduce the harm.

Seriously lads - who's for removing the median barriers?

Who's seen the barriers in Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Working near the hospital and the Air Corps were in and gone in the last half hour now Rescue 115 Shannon just landed, very busy pad at UCHG

Advertisement