Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Animal welfare Act, who will impliment it?

• 08-04-2014 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭

Being authorised to enforce it is one thing but in reality it proactively won't be implemented by the usual suspects. Local authorities won't employ new staff or adjust too well to animal welfare issues and the Gardaí will not fill the role as there is always new legislation and when the fan fare dies down it will not be a regular in the district courts with them I.m.o.
    I've heard a rumour or two but before I spill I would like to know a cross section of some views.
    Ps this is all just my opinion;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

Close the thread, doesn't bode well I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

time lord wrote: »

I honestly didn't see this thread until just now.

So what would you like to know, who we think will enforce it? As you say, probably nobody, as some of the pounds run by councils wouldn't pass an animal welfare inspection, so a dog warden isn't going to fine him or herself. The ISPCA wouldn't have enough staff I wouldn't have thought, and again, as they run pounds with some of the highest kill rates in the country, would they be the right organisation anyway? (sorry if that breaks forum rules, I'm mentioning them as an enforcing body, not as a rescue if that is ok)

I don't know if Dogs Trust may be involved in canine aspects, they seem to have driven, and continue to drive, a lot of welfare changes and proposed changes here, but I can't see them being involved with other animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I've heard a rumour or two but before I spill I would like to know a cross section of some views.
    Ps this is all just my opinion;)

A lot of us are in the dark time lord. There doesn't appear to be any extra Inspectors appointed since the implementation of the Act. There's also an Animal Welfare Conference in Dublin Castle May 16th that has been kept on the down low, so tbh if you know anything that the rest of us don't feel free to let us know.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

anniehoo wrote: »
    A lot of us are in the dark time lord. There doesn't appear to be any extra Inspectors appointed since the implementation of the Act. There's also an Animal Welfare Conference in Dublin Castle May 16th that has been kept on the down low, so tbh if you know anything that the rest of us don't feel free to let us know.
    Minister Coveney will be hands on that day I believe so it won't be open doors. I'm led to believe he will be delivering a lot of the days agenda himself.
    Any extra inspectors from any group will be be minimal in effectiveness if they don't have access to admin personnel. Although the local authorities will be empowered under the act, the day to day animal welfare complaints received by them will by in large be forwarded on in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Minister Coveney will be hands on that day I believe so it won't be open doors. I'm led to believe he will be delivering a lot of the days agenda himself.
    Any extra inspectors from any group will be be minimal in effectiveness if they don't have access to admin personnel. Although the local authorities will be empowered under the act, the day to day animal welfare complaints received by them will by in large be forwarded on in my opinion.

Still none the wiser time lord.

• Advertisement
Advertisement