Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway suicide watch to be launched in the city

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:38pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭

I presume those of you on facebook have heard about this already but if not here ye go.
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Galway-Suicide-Watch/246126262241549?fref=ts

About
    Galway Suicide Watch is an action plan to combat the many river suicides and attempted suicides in Galway city, and is at the beginning of a long journey

Mission
    Galway Suicide Watch- Mission Statement:
    To extend a helping hand, and a listening ear to those individuals who are contemplating suicide in Galway city,
    To intervene, and
    To guide these troubled ones to the professional help that is available.

Description
    Following a number of lost lives on the River Corrib and individuals being pulled from the river, it was decided to launch an action plan to combat this problem in Galway, and reduce these tragic incidents.

Galway Suicide Watch is not going to be an overnight success.
    It will be a very long, and possibly frustrating journey.
    The ultimate goal is to get 'Patrols' up and running on the River Corrib and it's surrounding area. We hope to provide a service based on the very successful service provided by the CSPP Suicide Prevention Limerick, who patrol the River Shannon and it's four bridges in Limerick city by means of volunteers on pedal-bike and power boat.

What Galway Suicide Watch needs is publicity. We do not have a website.
    We do not have any links to local or national government. We need people to 'like' and share our Facebook page. We need manpower, volunteers, leaders who can bring our hope into a reality. ANY help whatsoever will be accepted and appreciated.

We want to prevent any more families from losing loved ones to suicide in the River Corrib. Unfortunately this will be impossible but if in 10 years time we look back, and one person will have been helped, then it will all be worth the effort.
    We need your patience.

List of Support Services:
    1Life, National Suicide Prevention Helpline - 1800 247 100
    Samaritans, Listening Service for people who are lonely, despairing and suicidal - 1850 609 090
    Childline, A confidential phone line for children and young people - 1800 666 666
    Console, Bereaved by suicide National Helpline - 1800 201 890
    Mill St Garda Station - 091 538 000
    Salthill Garda Station - 091 514 720

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

A bit late for some but hoping its not to late for others. pick up the fone. if there are posters put up with fone numbers on them it may save a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I hope it takes off and I sent him a message to volunteer when it gets off the ground but there are so many points in Galway that you can enter the water if you want to end your life that it's going to be very difficult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I know a lot of people have Facebook pages but a lot of people also do NOT have Facebook pages. So these people are completely out of the loop for this new, very worthwhile service.

So would you consider setting up a website too...that's googleable? So if someone types in for example 'suicide Galway' into google...the website pops up.

Domain names can be set up very cheaply (for a few Euro a year) and you can use free services such as weebly to set the website up.

ETA: if people are contemplating suicide in Galway and if they do a google search on places where they may enter the water etc. or woodlands around the city..then it would be helpful if this page popped up in the google search...so I think while a facebook page is a good idea..it's not enough and a webpage is also needed.

Also, add in 999 and 112 onto the list of numbers. For emergency services, whether it's Gardaí, ambulance or fire...this is the means to contact them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

ETA: if people are contemplating ... in Galway and if they do a google search on places where they may enter the water etc... ..then it would be helpful if this page popped up in the google search....

What - so they could find out where the volunteers will be patrolling, and thus how to avoid them?

I know the folks behind this mean well, but it really worries me that untrained volunteers are behind it, and could possibly make things worse - eg in the quote above, there was an alternative method hinted at that really didn't need to be there.

Fair play to people for wanting to do something to help - but unless you have skills in emergency psychological intervention, you're best of sticking to activities to promote positive mental health behaviours and community engagement.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The guy behind it has volunteered with oranmore civil defence and completed the ASIST program to help intervene in such situations where someone may be at risk, i am hoping he intends on getting volunteers places on the course also, i'm intending on volunteering, but only if i can get my place on an ASIST course soon..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

eg in the quote above, there was an alternative method hinted at that really didn't need to be there.

You often hear of people having planned a suicide in advance. So if someone happens to be online and is planning something like that it would be a good idea if positive options such a group that can help comes up in search results. That's the point I was making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Nets..........Suicide police.
    It's backward we are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I was concerned that there could be a situation where a bunch of well-meaning volunteers could run into someone about to jump and not know what to do but reading the piece in the Indo today makes it sound like volunteers would be expected to do some training.

I think a separate website could be a good idea, if only to provide a non-Facebook space where people could express their interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

mikom wrote: »

have to agree!

How about the state actually invest properly in mental health services and awareness?

They did it in a huge way in Australia and managed to change the stigma of mental health in a massive way.

But this is Ireland, where the mayor will go on radio and suggest that nets be put in place! An embarrassment.

mikom wrote: »

Disagree.

They (or other barriers) are one part of an effective strategy.

Not the whole strategy. But an important part of dealing with impulsive self-harm behaviour, which isn't easy to assist with longer term mental health interventions.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/190/3/266.full

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Disagree.

They (or other barriers) are one part of an effective strategy.

Not the whole strategy. But an important part of dealing with impulsive self-harm behaviour, which isn't easy to assist with longer term mental health interventions.

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/190/3/266.full

They are a last ditch attempt to push the suicide figures away from the bridges.
    A public letter saying "We are shit out of ideas folks"........... "We surrender"... a great message to send out
    Maybe we could rename one of the bridges Foxconn bridge and get all Galway workers to sign a statement promising not to kill themselves and pledge to “treasure their lives”.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 timmy00

As someone who lost a relative to suicide off a bridge in town, I would be very forthcoming with a bit of help for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Why do this organisation think they can just demand the use of The Fisheries Tower? This building is privately owned. I take it they have enquired about using a room in Jury's Inn too.

Genuine question, is that particular bridge often the bridge that has been most used for suicide in the city? I ask this as if it isn't then are they wasting time setting up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

are they going net the walkway from jurys to Born as well?
    as they can easily jump in there also.

more bubble wrap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Most people who intentionally enter the water do so from the middle of the bridge so the current takes them.. If you enter from the side and are not committed to a suicidal act then you can generally get back out somewhere along the arch.. Point being, people rarely enter the water intentionally from the banks, netting at the bridges, once it doesn't disturb view, trap rubbish etc it could prove to be a good deterrent.

Fisheries tower idea seems somewhat pointless, if volunteers are ASIST trained, they should hopefully be able to deter/delay a suicidal person until emergency services arrive, they have to be within speaking distance to do that..

The biggest problem is there isn't a national cohesive strategy for the number of suicides in this country, but that's a far bigger topic than this thread covers i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

if they are determined for death by drowning
    they will enter the river from any location.
    its an inconvenience brought on to them which some may say will make them think twice about their action, i would say it could make their decision more absolute.

better funding for the existing resources is a far more worthy cause in light of the recent charity scandals, as funding for essentials charites has being reduced throughout the recession.

Most people who intentionally enter the water do so from the middle of the bridge so the current takes them.. If you enter from the side and are not committed to a suicidal act then you can generally get back out somewhere along the arch.. Point being, people rarely enter the water intentionally from the banks, netting at the bridges, once it doesn't disturb view, trap rubbish etc it could prove to be a good deterrent.
    That would depend on the current. I've seen plenty of strong currents in the river there that would sweep you away if entered from the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Laviski wrote: »
    its an inconvenience brought on to them which some may say will make them think twice about their action, i would say it could make their decision more absolute.

Horribly sad to say, in at least one person's case, they seemed to change their mind after jumping and called for help but it wasn't enough. People do change their minds sometimes.

amiable wrote: »
    That would depend on the current. I've seen plenty of strong currents in the river there that would sweep you away if entered from the banks.

It wouldn't be common knowledge is my point really..

It wouldn't be common knowledge is my point really..

It wouldn't be common knowledge that a strong current could sweep you away? Not sure if serious :confused:

• Advertisement

It wouldn't be common knowledge that a strong current could sweep you away? Not sure if serious :confused:

Jeebus, strong current at the banks, ot thread goes ot.. :(

Jeebus, strong current at the banks, ot thread goes ot.. :(

Good point and well made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Absolutely, never underestimate any river's ability to pull you in no matter where you enter. During the wetter months, with most weir gates open, the whole river Corrib is a death trap from weir to estuary. As I write that I recall that several people have "gone in" upriver in Dangan and across at Menlo. The river is relatively slower up there but there are some very deep pools. Barriers/nets wont be viable there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

flynnlives wrote: »
    have to agree!

How about the state actually invest properly in mental health services and awareness?

They did it in a huge way in Australia and managed to change the stigma of mental health in a massive way.

But this is Ireland, where the mayor will go on radio and suggest that nets be put in place! An embarrassment.

It's worse again, this state is dis-investing in mental health services right now. The bloated bureaucracy that is the HSE is cutting expenditure on mental health services all sides, so they can continue to waste it on useless middle "management".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Fiddles on 2 July refers to:
    Approximately a month ago,there were seven suicides in one week in Galway. There were two alone in Moycullen. That was across a range of ages. In a period of two months over the last three months, two friends of my 19 year old son took their lives. https://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2014-07-02a.336#g366

Is that true?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Fiddles on 2 July refers to:
    Approximately a month ago,there were seven suicides in one week in Galway. There were two alone in Moycullen. That was across a range of ages. In a period of two months over the last three months, two friends of my 19 year old son took their lives. https://www.kildarestreet.com/sendebates/?id=2014-07-02a.336#g366

Is that true?

During May 5 people committed suicide in a week, this may be the time frame being referred to.

http://connachttribune.ie/black-weekend-shows-scale-suicide-crisis-galway/

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Five people in one week in a county the size of Galway is absolutely shocking. I'm not sure that a "suicide watch" in Galway City is going to make any difference whatsoever though. What's needed is something to stop people getting to the point of such total despair that they seriously consider ending it all. The present and past governments have a lot to answer for as regards where they've taken this country to....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

antoobrien wrote: »
    During May 5 people committed suicide in a week, this may be the time frame being referred to.
    http://connachttribune.ie/black-weekend-shows-scale-suicide-crisis-galway/
    Thanks.

Was the suicide watch set up after all? I did not see anyone around the Salmon Weir bridge last night..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

snubbleste wrote: »
    Thanks.

Was the suicide watch set up after all? I did not see anyone around the Salmon Weir bridge last night..

There's a facebook page, but it hasn't been updated recently.

It looks like the criticism the idea got from the likes of console may have seriously damaged the concept.

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    It looks like the criticism the idea got from the likes of console may have seriously damaged the concept.

Or maybe they took on board feedback from organisations with expertise in the area that concept they proposed had some serious flaws to start with.

Advertisement